“Not what we expected”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We recently had an overnight stay at the hotel before going on holiday it offers a reasonable package including car parking. We only had a bar meal in the evening which we felt was on the expensive side and with very restricted seating and menu

Two problem we had was that I booked an early morning call for 04.00am and then changed it to 03.30 and I was assured that the time had been changed but we never did get the call at 03.30!!!! glad we had our own alarm with us.

With regards car parking going to the car at just before 4am in the pitch dark was very difficult lucky our car was only 3 in from the entrance but even then was not easy and there did not seem to be any security lighting or as far as I could see no security at all just park and hope for the best!!

This hotel has so much potential with a wonderful old house and grounds but needs a lot more attention to detail with regards why most people are staying and parking.

Room Tip: Try and park near to the car park entrance
1  Thank DevonMikey
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Thank you for your recent comments. The overnight lighting situation now incorporates 'sensor' lights to avoid the very problem you encountered.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at Stanhill Court in June 2014 prior to an early flight from Gatwick we also left the car at the hotel. Stanhill Court is a very attractive old building with a modern extension that fits in seamlessly with the original. However, car parking arrangements were chaotic - we wondered if we'd ever find a space but eventually found a nice one and unlike at most airport car-parks we didn't have to leave our car key which I was happy about. The room we were allocated was immediately above the function room and as this was a Saturday night there was a very noisy function immediately below us - we might as well have been in the room as we could hear every word of the speeches! As the receptionists knew we had an early flight (we booked the taxi when we checked in) and as they clearly knew they had a function on I cannot understand why they allocated this room to us. At around 10.30 pm we could stand the noise no longer and the evening staff moved us to a much quieter room very willingly - all credit to him. I am not exaggerating when I say that as we walked out of our room to the new one the floor of the corridor was shaking from the noise in the function room. This hotel needs to decide whether it is in the business of accommodating tired people who want to sleep or whether they want to provide ear splitting discos. I would never stay here again despite the beautiful setting and attractive building. The female receptionist who allocated eh room to us - when they had other vacant rooms available as he evening guy moved us very willingly and easily - needs some training on customer care in my view! MY ADVICE TO ANYONE LOOKING TO STAY HERE IS TO REQUEST A ROOM WELL AWAY FROM THE FUNCTION ROOM - unless you are attending the function!

Room Tip: do not accept a room anywhere near or above the function room unless you are attending the function!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kent C

I must say this is the first time we have received such a complaint. We have a very strict policy in place regarding allocation of bedrooms to guests not attending a function, for obvious reasons.

You are quite right, training is needed and I will put this in place immediately.

Thank you for your comments. I think I can guarantee that this will not happen again! Do give us a call next time you are travelling from Gatwick. I am sure we can make 100% improvement on your last stay.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Have stayed at this hotel for the last 4 years prior to flying from Gatwick, however this last visit was extremely disappointing. There is insufficient parking and some people who are flying off are being asked to park on rough ground between trees with no security lighting. On our return wrote to the hotel general manager - 3 weeks on still no reply

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tricia M

Thank you for your comments and I am surprised you have not received a response to your written complaint to the hotel. I will look into it. We do take all complaints seriously.

I have said elsewhere that this summer we experienced a surge in business that was not anticipated - the busiest we have been for some time. And, yes, guests parking long term are asked to park in woodland alongside the hotel - this was a late decision but lighting is now in place.

I would remind everyone that we are a hotel first and foremost that provides facilities for guests to leave their car while on holiday. We are not a professionally run car park (we would have to charge a considerable price for that).

As you have stayed with us on a number of occasions, I do hope you will consider staying with us again prior to your next trip. When booking, we can discuss the parking situation to put your mind at rest.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL !!!

Had to wait at reception on arrival as no staff about
Television in room did not work
Light bulbs missing from bedside lamps
Blood stain on pillowcase that was not ours!
No soap in soap dispenser
No outside lights on at all so walk from unlit car park to hotel in pitch black
Bed Brocken ,very noisy and lopsided
Curtains on four poster bed all hanging off
Room dirty and in need of updating
Bathroom very tatty
Only seemed to be one member of staff working in the whole hotel
Vehicles just seemed abandoned anywhere on property
When we raised these concerns to a member of staff we were told to put our feedback on the Internet for the owners to read.
SO HERE WE ARE !!!

Worst hotel ever !

Room Tip: Don't book here, find somewhere else!
5  Thank Steve L L

It wasn't helpful that the staff did not deal with your complaint at the time as I'm sure you would not have left your comments here. Our staff have been with us a long time and should know better. New training is now in place.

I detest poor customer service myself and am not happy that you experienced it here.

I do hope you will give us another chance and we look forward to welcoming you on your next stay prior to departing from Gatwick.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We often fly from Gatwick and book hotels with parking as find it convenient and often cheaper than airport hotels. This time we booked one away from the airport and boy are we glad we did. This hotel is very impressive wins. Lovely drive leading you to a fantastic old building in a great and very green setting. The staff on reception were fantastic, courteous and informative. The building is amazing and very grand and the rooms have charm and are all unique.
We felt at home as soon as we entered the room, even though we don't live in a listed stately home!
The patio bar was welcoming and a great place to drink champagne, again the staff were top notch.
I wish I could keep this place as a secret as there is every chance there will be no vacancies the next time we book....and yes we will be booking again! £104 for the room and parking for 15 days. We do have to pay an extra £10 or so for breakfast but so what...we are in our holidays after all! £10 for a taxi to the airport but again so what to be in a beautiful hotel in the countryside is worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster
4  Thank apache2149

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor. We are delighted you are happy with your stay. May I recommend you Book Early to avoid disappointment!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Give us a call as soon as you know the dates of your next trip.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Used this hotel for one night stay and car parking during a holiday. After parking in hotel car park we were given no indication car may be moved and told our keys were only required by the Fire Brigade, just in case. On our return a further deception by the unhelpful staff told us the car had not been moved but on inspection we found a car same make model and colour in our original space. Coincidence? When it was found the car had been moved without our authorisation dumped on waste ground (see picture) with many others. The car was filthy with mud, bird droppings, pine resin etc. We complained to the management whose attitude was most unapologetic and seemed to think they could do what ever they liked with the car whilst in their care. This is not what you need after a 11 hour flight and should make you wonder if these attitudes carry over into the general running of the rest of the hotel's business.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank John F

Ah, yes, I do remember this complaint.

From memory, I believe you stayed in early June. You and I had a rather long discussion outside the hotel because you were shouting at my reception staff inside. I told you then and I repeat now, we do NOT deceive people. Due to an unexpected surge of business during the period of your stay, our parking strategy was not perfect. I would also remind you that we are NOT a Car Park but provide facilities for you to leave your car while you are away on holiday.

We now have a dedicated 'long term' parking area within the grounds - in a section of woodland adjacent to the hotel.

I think it's worth pointing out that on another booking agency site, we have 100% response that guests would stay with us again, so we must be getting something right.

I did apologise to you most profusely during our conversation and even offered to wash your car before you went home but you continued to berate me, nothing would appease your anger. Nobody 'dumped' your car and I would also remind you that the hotel is located in a country woodland area where we cannot avoid the occurrence of bird droppings, leaves and dust.

We are happy to deal with genuine grievances but please don't make things up. It is not helpful.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Strange driveway with statues all along it but lovely gardens and an impressive looking house on arrival. Only stayed one night before flying out and left the car there for 2 weeks.. very reasonable price and the car was perfectly safe in the huge grounds. Very handy for the airport!
Please if you book here be organised and just take an overnight bag into the hotel, we didn't and had to drag suitcases up flights of stairs because there is no lift! A member of staff saw me as I struggled but turned a blind eye...
The room was nice and there were 2 beds, which were very comfortable Bathroom was quite large Didn't use the dining room we preferred to go into the village and have a bar snack and had breakfast at the airport the following morning

Room Tip: If firness is a problem ask for a low level floor.. no lift!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Penny P

Thank you for your kind comments. Everything seems to be OK but you didn't want to eat with us - we receive so many compliments for our food which is either served in our beautiful Restaurant 1881 with uninterrupted views into the sunset or in the bar. Good food, prepared to order - what's not to like?

I'm not sure what time you had to be at the airport but the restaurant opens at 7.30am which may have been too late for your schedule.

Many guests come with large amounts of luggage - we do say on all third party websites that we do not have a lift but that staff will provide assistance or you can leave heavy luggage in the Porter's Lodge overnight.

We look forward to welcoming you again on another occasion where we will be pleased to help with your luggage.

Stanhill Court Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!