“Faulty Towers!”

Stanhill Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
“Faulty Towers!”
Reviewed 15 June 2006

We booked this hotel for our wedding and aswell as builders being present on the day, the staff were beyond rude.
I would not dream of recommending this hotel to anyone, especially anyone thinking of holding a wedding here.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed 27 February 2006

I treated my husband to the past weekend here for his birthday. We had a lovely time. The hotel is beautiful, the staff are extremely attentive and polite. Our room was warm, peaceful and had fantastic views over the Surrey Hills. The food and quality of service was brilliant. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Despite being only four miles from Gatwick we did not hear a single plane.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 26 January 2006

I had to stay here overnight as my company had arranged a conference meeting there the following day.
This is an old hotel and I know that in the UK these can sometimes be quirky but there were too many issues here which would mean I would not recommend the hotel.

There is building work going on currently which is to complete an extension so there is some noise during the day from that.

Bedrooms
There is no soundproofing - don't stay in room 9 - this is above the bar so could be very noisy if there is a big party staying. A number of the rooms have doors which face out onto the open landing and hence may suffer noise from the large entrance hall and bar so be careful where you stay. I asked to move rooms because I was worried about this but there was none available. As it happened, I was kept awake by noise from the kitchens - there was banging furniture and cupboards and shouting going on until 2.30 in the morning.

One of my colleagues was in a different room and he was also woken by the noise. I suggest you take ear plugs ! I slept with my Ipod headphones in my ears as I had nothing else !

Temperature
Because we stayed in January our meeting room (The Gun Room) was very cold - desite the radiator being on. My colleagues said their bedrooms were cold. (Room 9 was quite warm though.)

We had to queue a couple of times to use the bathroom as other meetings were taking place in other parts of the hotel.

Staff are polite.

General hotel decor is strange - particularly the Patio Bar which is painted white and has cartwheels and barrels on the wall (not sure why !).

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank OneBigWorld

Travellers are raving about these Charlwood hotels

Reviewed 12 September 2005

My partner and I stayed at Stanhill Court for one night in early August 2005 before flying from Gatwick the following day. Discouraged from booking one of the travel lodges nearer the airport we discovered this hotel on the internet and, after booking, never looked back. From the first moment we arrived until we had to leave at the ungodly hour of 0430 hours, we were extremely impressed with everything the hotel had to offer.

Although fairly expensive, you do pay for what you get in life and that is a fact that is too often forgotten by many people. The grounds are stunning, as is the hotel itself. Our room was relatively small but extremely comfortable and totally adequate for our needs. Although we did not eat at the hotel, preferring to venture into the local countryside in search of a pub, from talking to other residents I am led to believe that the food was superb. We ordered a prepared breakfast for the morning and, at 0400 hours, I opened the door and found an absolutely incredible breakfast outside the room.

In essence, this is a quiet hotel located in beautiful surroundings, extremely accessible to Gatwick airport which is only a ten minute taxi ride away. This hotel would make an ideal base for a romantic weekend near London or as a base from which to use Gatwick airport, with free parking for 15 days when you book one night.

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 11 September 2005

We stayed for only one night at this beautiful hotel. The grounds are spectacular and even the driveway, dotted with statues, is impressive. Unfortunately, on the night we stayed it was quite humid and there was no air conditioning, making for a very sticky, uncomfortable stay, although the window was open wide. The open window, of course, attracted all manner of moths and six-legged beasties, however, which then stayed with us although none helped out with sharing the expense. The cooler months are probably more pleasant there. The room was extremely clean, although a desk lamp was not plugged in (which required crawling under the desk to do so) and one of the bed lamps did not work. Jeans, shorts and trainers are not permitted in the dining areas (which we thought was a ridiculous and archaic rule but we realize old traditions die hard) and therefore, we were forced to order room service for our dinner and breakfast at extra cost. The dinner, however, (roast duck for me and a club sandwich for my boyfriend) was absolutely amazing and we nearly fell off our chairs at the first bite! Another odd rule was that they do not permit any of your own food or drink in the room--every morsel or liquid drop has to be purchased at the hotel, otherwise, there was threat of further cost if discovered! The bed was of acceptable size but actually, too mooshy and lumpy in my opinion. Smoking was permitted in the room which was nice and Zach, at the front desk, was a helpful and friendly sort. This is a truly beautiful hotel, no doubt about that, with a baby grand on the first landing and an enormous and imposing wooden staircase up to the 2nd floor. The property is gorgeous and squirrels and bunnies can be seen everywhere. It's proximity to Gatwick Airport is very convenient, without a lot of airplane noise. Overall, however, for the money (our bill came to about $325 for the one night), we expected a bit more in the way of comfort (i.e., air conditioning or at least a fan and being able to have a meal in the dining room wearing yes, god forbid, jeans!) We would go back to the Stanhill Court to sample more of their amazing dinners but would stay elsewhere, I think, as their policies (i.e., dress code, especially) are too restrictive.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank Jeaniepie
Reviewed 1 June 2004

It's been some time since I stayed here but it was a truly memerable trip. We stayed in a 4 poster suite through a last minute deal which included dinner and breakfast. The room was flawless and the 4 course dinner divine. The staff were lovely, nothing was too much trouble for them and at no point were we made to feel any less valued because we were staying through a deal. We went for a walk round the grounds after breakfast and mainly just relaxed in our room. It was very quiet at this hotel and not loads to do but this suited us fine. A good place to go for a short, romantic stay with your other half.

10 Thank JJF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Sofitel London Gatwick
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!