“beds were appalling”

Stanhill Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Reviewed 7 October 2006

A friend had their wedding here, and as a result we stayed overnight after the party.

Whilst the wedding was good, and the staff where for the most part helpfull, the room we had was dreadfull! The decor was tatty to say the best, and the bathroom facilities were not so good either. The bed in particular was terrible - the springs in one side of the matteress had gone, meaning that we spent the night on a slope. When i mentioned this to reception staff , the response was very much a "what do you expect us to do about it" in sentiment. I realise that the place was full as a result of the wedding, but We still expected something more than this considdering the money we were spending with them.

overall I don't think i would bother poing back.

Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank illendrea

Reviewed 12 September 2006

I attended a wedding at Stanhill Court and was really looking forward to staying there the night. As we drove up the hotel looks magnificent and the location is wonderful. However, I agree with other reviewers, the staff are rude and entirely disinterested in looking after their guests. Our room was shabby, stuffy, and it didnt feel very clean. Some other relatives who were also staying there were of the same opinion. God help you if you flush the toilet or take a shower, it sounds like the plumbing is about to blow the house up!

This hotel has so much potential. I could almost forgive the shabby, unlooked after rooms if the staff were better. They were honestly the most sullen lot I've ever come across. When you're paying £3.70 for a very small glass of wine, you at least expect a smile to go with it!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank curlybird
Reviewed 13 July 2006

We would just like everyone to know that we thoroughly disagree with the last opinion of this hotel. We spent midsummer´s eve here and everything was fabulous! We got an extremely attractive package rate where pickup and delivery to gatwick, a bottle of Champagne, afternoon tea, 3-course dinner and overnight in a fourposter bed plus full english break-o were included. The room was extremely large and comfortable, the bathroom fresh and sparkling clean, the afternoon "tea" delicious and extremely filling, the champagne ice cold, the service spectacularly friendly and kind and dinner and break-o on par with Alexander house! We cannot understand how anyone would find any of the staff rude or disinterested and we will definitely use Stanhill court again.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank Rhodesian
London
Reviewed 15 June 2006

We booked this hotel for our wedding and aswell as builders being present on the day, the staff were beyond rude.
I would not dream of recommending this hotel to anyone, especially anyone thinking of holding a wedding here.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Croydon
Reviewed 27 February 2006

I treated my husband to the past weekend here for his birthday. We had a lovely time. The hotel is beautiful, the staff are extremely attentive and polite. Our room was warm, peaceful and had fantastic views over the Surrey Hills. The food and quality of service was brilliant. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Despite being only four miles from Gatwick we did not hear a single plane.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 January 2006

I had to stay here overnight as my company had arranged a conference meeting there the following day.
This is an old hotel and I know that in the UK these can sometimes be quirky but there were too many issues here which would mean I would not recommend the hotel.

There is building work going on currently which is to complete an extension so there is some noise during the day from that.

Bedrooms
There is no soundproofing - don't stay in room 9 - this is above the bar so could be very noisy if there is a big party staying. A number of the rooms have doors which face out onto the open landing and hence may suffer noise from the large entrance hall and bar so be careful where you stay. I asked to move rooms because I was worried about this but there was none available. As it happened, I was kept awake by noise from the kitchens - there was banging furniture and cupboards and shouting going on until 2.30 in the morning.

One of my colleagues was in a different room and he was also woken by the noise. I suggest you take ear plugs ! I slept with my Ipod headphones in my ears as I had nothing else !

Temperature
Because we stayed in January our meeting room (The Gun Room) was very cold - desite the radiator being on. My colleagues said their bedrooms were cold. (Room 9 was quite warm though.)

We had to queue a couple of times to use the bathroom as other meetings were taking place in other parts of the hotel.

Staff are polite.

General hotel decor is strange - particularly the Patio Bar which is painted white and has cartwheels and barrels on the wall (not sure why !).

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank OneBigWorld
Reviewed 12 September 2005

My partner and I stayed at Stanhill Court for one night in early August 2005 before flying from Gatwick the following day. Discouraged from booking one of the travel lodges nearer the airport we discovered this hotel on the internet and, after booking, never looked back. From the first moment we arrived until we had to leave at the ungodly hour of 0430 hours, we were extremely impressed with everything the hotel had to offer.

Although fairly expensive, you do pay for what you get in life and that is a fact that is too often forgotten by many people. The grounds are stunning, as is the hotel itself. Our room was relatively small but extremely comfortable and totally adequate for our needs. Although we did not eat at the hotel, preferring to venture into the local countryside in search of a pub, from talking to other residents I am led to believe that the food was superb. We ordered a prepared breakfast for the morning and, at 0400 hours, I opened the door and found an absolutely incredible breakfast outside the room.

In essence, this is a quiet hotel located in beautiful surroundings, extremely accessible to Gatwick airport which is only a ten minute taxi ride away. This hotel would make an ideal base for a romantic weekend near London or as a base from which to use Gatwick airport, with free parking for 15 days when you book one night.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Sofitel London Gatwick

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!