“Basic & cheap good place to stay”
Review of Russ Hill Hotel

Russ Hill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Fareham
“Basic & cheap good place to stay”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before we flew out to Mexico. We arrived Tues 27th Aug. We followed the sat nav from Hampshire & arrived there fine. From a certain point it is signposted

Driving up we were greeted by a big manor house that was just full of cars luckily the overnight carpark was empty. You can see the planes coming in.
Check in was fine, informative & we went in to the bar to order some food. We arrived at 8.15pm so hadn't had dinner... There are 2 rooms you can eat in the bar or a room that does a all you can eat buffet for £12.50 each. Not sure what they were serving. The menu in the bar is ok we opted for lasagna & a alcoholic drink.. The small wine is small LOL I wish I had gone large... The food was ok I'd give it a 5/10 not that big a portion although it filled me up but was quite bland. We ordered a cheese board for after but wish we had been given a choice. We're given a load of cheese that we didn't like & not enough crackers.

After dinner we went to the room. We paid £36 for the room as we found it on last minute.com so weren't sure what we would be arriving to & after reading some of the reviews we were abit worried. The rooms though (or ours) was fine a nice size, clean & comfortable. We were happy & even paying around the £60 mark for room only I would have been happy.

We didn't sleep great but that was nothing to do with the bed it was hearing the planes go over but we were also like kids at Christmas excited for our holiday & waking every hour. We left the hotel at 5.30am there was nowhere to get breakfast but we had already made the decision to get that at the airport. I no you can get breakfast at the hotel for £9.50 which isn't a bad price at all but not sure what time that is from

I would stay here again. It is very old fashioned/out of date & basic but it's somewhere to bed down for the night & it's comfortable. I will use this place again when we go away again & have a early flight. Not only do holiday makers stay overnight here you get work people stay here as well.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank chelseaharvey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I was quite worried when I read most of the reviews. I stayed in a family room with my wife and two daughters. The room was very clean and looked like it had recently been decorated. It had a double bed and bunk beds. The bathroom was also bright and clean. We had an early flight so we booked for the free parking and close location to Gatwick. Whilst we were there one of our padlocks on our suitcases became jammed. I went to reception and a very freindly member of staff came to help.He managed to open the case for us. We did not eat there but had a lovely meal in the Hungry Horse pub in Charlwood.I would certainly stay there again

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Glen121
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

This is the cheapest hotel near gatwick which is why I booked it and to expect a lot would have been foolish, it wasn't bad. The hotel was dated and the decor could have done with updating, the room had a step down after the entrance which you need to watch. It was a good size, two single beds (I was staying alone so no matter) there was a bath with a shower, television, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities. There is soap and shampoo but I'd recommend bringing your own, unless you checked your bags already and can't carry liquid in your hand luggage. I didn't use the restaurant so I can't comment on that.
There is a bus from the air port once an hour which is free, the bus to the airport is also once an hour but is not free it's £5 but if you look on it as £2.50 each way it's not bad and cheaper than a taxi.
All in all I'd stay again if I was flying early but I couldn't stay for more than one night

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Abbie_Etheridge
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have stayed at the Russ Hill a good few times over the last couple of years... 1..for staying the night before going on holiday and leaving the car and 2 for work.. Each time it has worked really well for us.. Its as cheap as chips so dont expect pristine conditions in all the rooms...its an older hotel for goodness sake but the staff are always as helpful as can be.. especially the chappie outside who when we arrived really late at night on 2 occasions and the car park was really full helped us find a space to park..what a great guy.. Last night we stayed in the 'newer' wing of the hotel and it was a lovely room..really quiet, clean with a comfortable bed what more can you ask for.. we would always choose to stay in the Russ Hill when in the area everything you can ask for. and I have to say its a fabulous atmosphere seeing people happy and in a great party mood heading off on their holidays... even if its not you lol...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Huffyhail
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Wow I can not even begin with this hotel! All me and my partner wanted was a comfy bed for the night as we had an early morning flight, but no we ended up staying in the smallest double room ever with no windows!! Just a little sky light which let no light in at all and with the temperatures soaring we couldn't even open a window for fresh air! We ended up having to get a fan from reception which didn't even help just blew dust around the whole room. The bed oh gosh! We we're led on a slab of rock! I think we we're shoved in an old room at the back of the hotel! We didn't even have suitcases with us and struggled to move around the room it was that small!

One this I can't complain about is the food was pretty nice and the location was excellent!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chelskiix3
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

AVery disappointing start to our holiday,we paid extra to have a family room with decent size beds for our two big teenagers-we got a large room with one dbl. bed,one single bed and a small put u up.

Our room had no air con so it was sweltering. So we had to open the window the noise from constant guests coming and going was so bad we had to shut the windows again but none of us were able to sleep. It was so stiflingly hot.!! My husband went to complain but as our room overlooked the front,where people were standing waiting throughout the night for the airport transfere so there was little they could do. we asked for some drinking water and was charged £1.60 each for each small bottle. So we had thought we wouldn't be so tired before our 6am gatwick flight having booked a hotel nearby the airport. But we were exhausted after such a bad night without any sleep
On return we went to pick up the car from the hotel car park. but to our horror there were deep lines of scratches all along one side from the back door to the front side panel. Reception reminded us of their 'no liability' however she gave me the operations managers number who was very unhelpful and didn't even apologise for our damaged car,let alone offer some recompense.
Basically we paid over £100 for a night with no sleep and a bill for £100s to respray the scratches on our car.

Room Tip: Don't stay here go somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank claire l
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

One of the Britannia Group of hotels, still great value, excellent for Gatwick airport with bus service at a small charge, rooms on the whole a little small, but great double glazing it really keeps the noise out as you are quite close to Gatwick.

Meals reflect prices in the area and looked reasonable but as we never ate there i cannot comment.

The hotel was clean and decoration was a bit faded in parts, but for value in this area you cannot beat it , the staff were friendly and helpful. we were there on a short stay of 3 nights as the hotel is close to my sons house i am sure we will say again.

Most of the hotels are well above the price i paid at this hotel, in this area and we have stayed at many round the area and this one compares favorably with them all, and non will go near Russ Hill Hotels prices.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel

Been to Russ Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!