“Disgusting Disgusting Disgusting”

Russ Hill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
“Disgusting Disgusting Disgusting”
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I recently was transferred to this disgusting hotel because my original booking at the Europa was basically sold to another large coach booking to make quick money.

On arriving at the Europa before a long flight to a Mexico, we was told pour room had been taking because a computer error. I booked this over 3 months ago but you saying I couldn't be contacted??? Of course not because a large group turned up and the hotel sold my room and others too.

We then got taking 30 minutes drive to Russ hill. What can I say!! Disgusting and that does not even come close.

The hotel was smelly, old, disgusting, rooms so small that with 2 cases in them you can not even get changed and the rooms were just like basically staying on the streets.

I asked for a manager. I got a duty manager call Sam Halwala. Well what a complete waist of space and the most rude ignorant person I have ever met and if not other guests and kids around, I would not been held responsible. He tried to make out that he was doing us a favour by taking us in and letting us stay. What a joke he was. I then asked him to ring the Europa and Britannia hotels group with him being a manager for the group but he refused and said why should he and that I should ring them as he was letting us stay at his hotel. What a muppet and such a rude rude person. If he is the example of what Britannia employ as a manager then they will go under very soon without a doubt.

I will be taking this further believe me and also reporting the manager Sam and do my ultimate best to get him dismissed. That will be doing them a favour.

Please please do not stay here or the Europa. I am honestly doing you a favour by giving you advice in not to stay at these hotels as they will ruin your start or end of your holiday.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Daren C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Czech first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Middle of nowhere airport hotel. Reasonable bar service, very much no frills but quite acceptable. Twin room booked for £35 room only. Perfectly acceptable. Firm bed , smallish twin room but clean. The tv was an old CRT and the free view signal was poor, so actually watching anything was difficult. Didn't take breakfast but had bar snacks which were overpriced and not very good though edible. If you need quiet to sleep you won't like this as it is right underneath flight path. This didn't bother me and I slept well. They specialise in holiday parking and rates vary wildly. Phone and ask for best rates !
I would visit again- fit for purpose ! Take a packed lunch though or eat out!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I am on my way home from a 3 nights stay in the russ hotel with national holidays. I just can't understand why people give the hotel bad reviews. We had a nice welcome from the staff on Thursday. I had a nice small en suite room to myself with double bed and everything I needed. The breakfast and dinners were very nice with a choice of 5 mains each evening. Drinks in the lounge were a reasonable price (average 3-50 for a pint.) bus service every hour from the hotel to Gatwick airport which dropped you in the village of Charlwood at the local pub. One back every hour. It was a great 4 days and thanks to our driver ken who was a great chap and looked after us very well. I think I may be booking again for Dec 5th. Thank you national holidays.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dave willy .
portsmouth
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was my 6th stay at the Russ Hill. I always use this hotel to sleep at the night before I fly. It's normally the cheapest one which is appealing! It's very dated so don't expect the Ritz but this is why it's cheap! But it's clean which is all that matters for one nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Lovley place entrance was really nice until we were allocated our rooms!! my friend was put into the 600 rooms as me and my daughter were put into room 222!! omg i was in shock i smelt really bad of poo sorry but it made me feel sick i wasnt well on the trip and had lost my voice there was only one socket in the room so my 3 year old couldnt watch tv while i charged my phone! with in 1 hour i was moved rooms to another room in the wow what a difference it was fab we didnt have a window just a sky light but it was clean and tidy. Food was good carvery and a choice of other things staff very friendly there was an indian girl on the night time she was lovley took good care of our children asked all the time if everything was ok. we would defintatly return as long as we are in the room starting with a 6!!

Room Tip: any room starting with a 6!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Newport,Gwent,UK.
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I was booked into this hotel,as a transit stop on my return from Tenerife(05/11/13).I have stayed
there many times before.The G4 bus does an hourly circuit of the airport,to pick up travellers.The
grounds of the hotel cover 11acres,so car parking(which is free),is no problem.My room No200,
with two beds,was clean and funcional,and the TV worked.I was a little surprised to be charged
£9.50 for breakfast,when I thought it was inclusive,--buffet style,and plenty to eat.It's only 4 miles
from Gatwick Airport,but a terrible road on a wet night.The airport pickup was free,but I was charged £5,on the bus the following morning !!(maybe the driver 'ripped me off'),-I was too tired
to argue,so I paid.This is one of the "Britannia Group" of hotels,and I picked it because of the
proximity to the airport.No real complaints for a transit hotel.

Room Tip: If it's cold weather,the heating is very efficient.Airport flights stop at 10.00pm,and start aga...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Well - returning from a lovely holiday we booked the Europa only to find out that they had moved us to this place- no warning or notification. We arrived had a Family room despite being a couple which had worn dirty carpets clearly not hovered, a bathroom with cracks in the wall covered by gaffer tape!!! and a wall which was a divider between two rooms, meaning we could hear everthing from next room like they were in our room, paid for an upgraded room and given this, no other rooms available. Bed was like sleeping on a sofa. Felt sorry for receptionist he seemed truly apologetic but said he couldn't do anything. I may not of minded if id of only paid a smaller amount.

Room Tip: don't book a britainia hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew Woodford w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Stanhill Court Hotel
Stanhill Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Charlwood

Been to Russ Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!