Russ Hill Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hookwood Lodge(Hookwood)
  • Breakfast included
2,400 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is quite possibly one of the worst hotels I've stayed in! First of all, I booked the hotel, and with my flight arriving late at night, it seemed convenient with the "24 hour" shuttle bus. No! My flight landed at 11.30, and the only shuttles were at 11.30- which I was never making, and after that 1am. So I had to get a taxi, costing £16. Furthermore, when I got there and tried to book a shuttle the next morning they changed their price to £7, not £5 advertised online and when I phoned. Very unprofessional. Still says £5 online! But it's not!
The room, was situated outside- yes- outside!! And being 12am, dark, a young female and by myself, I wasn't keen on this, as I was the furthest point from reception. The door didn't lock properly, had to prop my golf clubs against it to ensure no one from the nearby woods would come in during the night!
Next! It's a non smoking room. The stench of smoke hit you in the face when you walked in! It was awful! I couldn't sleep because of it! It was so strong! I had to sleep under my covers so I could breathe!
The shower and toilet area was too small, and I'm fairly slim. But I knocked loads of stuff off the shelf as I stood up from the loo.
The bedroom walls are paper thin, I heard the guy talking in the next room.
Truly awful hotel! Even if you think it's cheap it will do- it doesn't! I'm no snob but I atleast like to feel safe and welcomed.
My advice- book the travelodge nearby, even if it is an extra £10. You will save money on the shuttle, as its a lot closer, and you'll be able to sleep!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Proladygolfer
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I am honestly very surprised with all the negative reviews. I am not an easy person to please, by any means, but I think people may be too harsh considering this is a cheap airport hotel.

We made a last minute booking due to a storm coming to London, which would have shut down train service to Gatwick from London city center (where we were originally staying). The front desk staff was very welcoming and friendly. Our room was spacious, clean, and the bed was very comfortable. Our room was also very quiet, did not hear any noise at all (and I am a light sleeper). A shuttle to Gatwick airport is also an added bonus. Overall, it was a charming hotel with all the necessities.

Room Tip: We stayed in the back of the hotel on the ground floor. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Nightmares still exist in real life.I really never complain but worse nights sleep.Curtains didnt work with people walking past!!! Bed so small and lumpy pillows smelled of sick. Tv didnt work either. No hot water. The plug hole in the bath was flat so I could not run a bath ( honestly !) I was so tired just wish I had got earlier and driven from home.

Room Tip: Just go to travel lodge
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Normskiii
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night before an early morning flight from Gatwick. We have previously stayed at this hotel and other Britannia hotels and the rooms have been good.
Drinks are a bit pricey. We ate at the cavery which was okay.
This time round we were given the worst hotel room I have ever had the displeasure of staying in!
All rooms have been renovated over the past 30 years and ours must have been the first as it was so dated.
A very small, musty, dusty room set off from the main corridors.
As it was just one night and we had been travelling that day we decided not to change and boy did we regret that decision! As we had unpacked and had a late night, moving rooms in the early hours wasn't an option for us.
The mattress was so old, lumpy, dipped in the middle and was so uncomfortable. The leaky tap and shower dripped all night waking us up. The bathroom door had dropped so if we needed to shut it my partner had to really slam it- I do hope other guests didn't hear. Now the shower itself, so dangerous! I still can't believe they have it. When I turned it on, it flooded the bathroom, along with all our stuff and our towels etc. (even ran under the door) as there was a huge crack in the top of the shower head so half the water came over the top of the cubicle. It took a few minutes for my partner to tackle it and get it turned off. I also ended up scalded so I was far from impressed at 5am! We were also then left with a very hazardous flooded bathroom to contend with. The joke was there was a sign saying to use the shower curtain so as not to get the floor wet, that was clearly not the problem people were encountering. Not very surprisingly the shower itself was pretty grimey, clearly because the shower was broken so it couldn't be cleaned. Luckily for us my parents had the room opposite and although their bathroom was tiny their shower wasn't dangerous like ours.
Checkout was busy so I couldn't talk to someone about our bad experience and due to the delay of us all sharing a bathroom we didn't have time to wait around. I filled out a comments card with our concerns and left it for them. I can only assume this was ignored as we never heard anything back.
A very bad start to our holiday and not the best for a long flight ahead!The only saving grace was the shuttle service, which got us to the airport on time.
In the future we will not be staying here again and have been put off Britannia hotels altogether.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cara_E_J
Reviewed 17 November 2013

If you are looking for a cheap no frills hotel prior to a flight from Gatwick with car parking this will do the job for you. It's certainly cheap, staff were efficient. Room was very basic, but it was clean. We stayed here prior to our holiday and 3 course meal included in price together with car parking. Meal was ok, if you expect Michelin stars, this isn't the place for you. However, no real complaints from me for evening meal. Transfer to airport in morning was punctual and cost £5 per person return was included. We also stayed there on our return. Had a cooked breakfast in the morning. This was a mistake. Pre-booked on check in - £7.50 a head, we didn't and had to pay £9.50 in the morning. Have to say breakfast was awful - Bacon was cold, eggs also cold and the sausage was so tasted so bad I could not even swallow it. In summary, if you want a clean bed prior to a flight for a decent price this is ok. If you want a little bit of luxury, this isn't the place for you. Would I go again? Yes, but certainly would not stay for breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple