“Great value - no problems!”
Review of Russ Hill Hotel

Russ Hill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Not sure why all the negative reviews, we spent a lovely night there recently
- simple room, good shower, everything needed provided, warm enough...

We didn't take the breakfast as we were passing through after a long weekend of house hunting, all we really wanted was a good bed, coffee in the room, tv and well ... that is all we got.

We paid less than £30 for a night, so I was expecting a lot worse!!!

Room Tip: Probably wouldn't take the breakfast unless you can expense it ...!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2014

On a seriously tight budget, we took the risk of booking this place for 1 night to catch an early flight despite having read the damning reviews - I'm so happy we did! The reviews had been so doom laden we were expecting he sky to fall in at every turn - but the shuttle ran fine, the staff were helpful, the room was great, very clean and had comfy, firm bed. They had put a cot in the room for our 6 month old baby which I had requested on the form through laterooms but was not necessarily expecting to happen at no extra cost given the horror stories, but it was all fine. We even chose to eat there - the bar food is roughly a tenner and you get a really decent pub style meal - typical bar meals but nicely prepared and good portions. The only black mark would be that their website still states that the bus ride is £5 but actually it is now £7 - so you do need to factor in the £7 per adult (£3.50 children) as part of the room price really (you only pay the way to the airport - the way from the airport to the hotel is free) - but even the extra £14 still gave us a really nice night at Gatwick for well under £50. I would go here again. My advice for anyone booking would be to ring the hotel and check that the shuttle times correspond conveniently with their travel plans before booking, as this seems to be the cause of many people's woes - though they run 24 hours, they are not as frequent overnight as people are expecting them to be I think. Also check what time the restaurant and bar are open if you are hoping to eat there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Reading other, resent reviews for this hotel makes me wonder, if there's a parallel reality locked in space-time at the coordinates of this hotel and some mysterious hand of fortune decides whether you're cast into some horrid hotel-related dystopia or whether you just have a really nice time in a sweet and cosy budget place. Which we did, really nice, no complaints if you don't count the fact that the shuttle bus service had changed from the five pounds stated on the website to 7 pounds. But other than that, everything was just as or slightly better than promised.

We called the staff several times before arrival to check out various details and our questions were always promptly and courteously. We asked for a cot bed for our baby and it was waiting in the room at arrival, along with a larger extra bed in case we fell out with each other or needed a change. Our room was spacious and nice with a comfortable double bed, on the firm side but that's how I like it. Everything was clean and tidy and there was an actual bath in the bathroom, a definite bonus! The room was freakishly quiet, with only birdsong outside our window in the morning.

We ate at the bar and were served nice traditional bar food with very reasonable prices. To top it all off there was free wifi in the bar and the lounge area.

For this price, I really couldn't ask for anything better! Will definitely come back and chance it with the hairy hand of fate!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Outi C
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Used this "hotel" if you can call it that for a overnight stay before flying out and used the car park for this reason, we also booked to stay the night of our return, if I had known what it was like I would not have bothered. The room and corridors were icy cold and the whole hotel smelt musty and the decor left a lot to be desired. There was no customer service whatsoever on the first night or the return. On the return they didn't even know what room to put us in and we arrived back at 11pm to again a very cold unwelcoming hotel and again very bad customer care. We were put in a room not big enough to swing a cat with no window in and both times it was freezing. This hotel needs shutting down for refurbishment or something drastic , will never darken their doors again.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mazzy1953
Reviewed 7 January 2014

After read reviews from other people I wondered what have we let ourselves in for. Well first impression nice looking building but could do with a lick of paint. To be honest the weather was very gray with wind and rain so it could be better in the sun. The hallway is impressive. Booking in was quick and friendly. I was asked if we could walk to the first floor as there was no lift, no problem I think if I had said no a ground floor room would of been found.
The room although old in decoration was dated it was clean comfy. The only thing it could of done with was a chair.
The bar was good and we had a bar meal and it was better then what we have in some well known 4 and 5 * hotels.
The bar did close but you cant blame them without no one in it.
Good nights sleep and easy check out.
The comments about the coast of the bus although not used by us I think are unjustified. You don't pay to get from the airport to the hotel. But you do have to buy a ticket to get to the airport. The cost £7.or £3.50 each-way.Its obvious to me it is done like this to stopped fiddling, Its up to you but depending on the size of the party you could always get a taxi one but don't know if you save .money. Try and find another hotel at Gatwick at under £26,

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Having lived in the area previously I had been to the hotel for functions and thought it would be adequate enough for myself and my friend to stay for two nights. It was the only hotel in the area that would take dogs and close to where I was stabling my horse so I booked.

We found that our room was outside in a tiny wooden extension off the main hotel. The room was not clean, the bathroom was freezing as it wasn't insulated, there was a hole in the floor in between the bathroom and the bedroom. The front of the room was all glass and the door very flimsy, so considering we were outside and there was direct access to the road I did not feel safe at all, especially considering we were two young girls travelling together. Also the blinds on the door were stained with blood.

Initially we asked for an upgrade but we were told we couldn't as we had a dog with us. I explained to the manager I understand that there might be separate rooms allowed for dogs however when I booked online the pictures shown for my booking (inclusive of allowing dogs and for the price I paid) were not of the room I was given. I would not have booked if I had seen pictures of the room we were given, I would rather have stayed in my horse trailer.

I went as far as to pull up the advert I booked from and show it to the manager to explain how misleading it is. He refused to help, only to refund my money.

After driving all day to get down there I was disgusted that he was so unhelpful late at night when it's so hard to find a room else where. Luckily I found a very nice hotel a few miles away which despite not taking pets allowed me to have my dog after we explained our situation!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed overnight on the 30th december. After booking the hotel I then saw the reviews, so I was concerned how me and my partner would find the hotel. We were travelling by public transport so we picked up the hotel bus service from the airport, free with no problems. We got to the hotel at 9:30pm, I had booked for the carvery meal, the reception said that the restaurant was closed at 9:30. I did mention to them on my details it did say, until 10pm otherwise I wouldn't have booked it. They then offered us a few choices from the bar menu, which they sorted out quickly, which were cooked meals. Of course we would have preferred the carvery, but at least we could still eat as I saw another reviewer didn't get offered anything when arriving late. Our room was lovely especially for the price, it looked like the one they use their professional photos in. Everything was working fine lights, tv, shower, bath etc. The bed was comfortable for us, it was warm plus there was extra blankets in the wardrobe if you needed it. Some reviewers said there room was cold, but ours was lovely and warm the heater was on. We had a good stay and im just glad I didn't see the bad reviews before booking as I would have looked elsewhere. I realise it seems we were lucky on this occasion compared to other reviewers, but we did enjoy our stay it was perfect for what we needed. We had the room for £30 and only came as we didn't want to travel to the airport on new years eve encase of delays. New years eve, we left the hotel fine and used the hotel bus service which was £7 each, got there in 15 minutes brilliant. Based on our stay If I needed to go to gatwick again I would stay here, I just wouldn't book the carvery If I knew I was coming late. All the staff we came across were very nice and pleasant. It was a cheap stay for peace of mind so great for us.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sevgi-Bar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Stanhill Court Hotel
Stanhill Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Charlwood
Gatwick Cambridge Hotel

Been to Russ Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!