“rubbish”
Review of Russ Hill Hotel

Russ Hill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Reviewed 6 March 2014

arrived in the dark and thought we would never get there,not the closest hotel to gatwick. In the room the towel rail came off the wall in my wife's hand, the plug sockets were covered over so you couldn't use them and the beds were lumpy to say the least. They moved us immediately to a new room which was great apart from the fact there were no windows. Dinner was very basic in a shabby dining hall. Bus to airport was £7 each not £5 when we booked. On return we were expected to wait 1 hour in a bus stop at 9.15pm until the hourly bus turned up. When we booked we were told 1/2 hour service. A £16 taxi ride later we were informed that after 7pm the buses were hourly, they didn't think to tell us this when we booked. Never again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Russ Hill Hotel

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here before a couple of years ago when we wanted to park the car and had an early morning flight from Gatwick. On that occasion we thought it was very good but this latest visit was not impressive. The room was very cramped and with no outside window or door other than a skylight it would drive someone with claustrophobia mad.
Last time there was a check in for the hotel and a check in for the parking. This time you parked your car yourself and they took NO responsibility for it whilst you were away.
Previous stay we had an excellent meal in the carvery; so I took advantage of the discounted prebooked meal. It was awful. The service was crap. The starters were a choice of awful soup (I chose it and can say it was awful) or sad salad. There were only two choices of meat for the carvery and they were dried up and stale. roast potatoes were horrible and the other veg was not good either and as for the sickly deserts - we left ours. Horrible!
We went to9 the bar and had some drinks and the bar meals looked much better. We slept OK and got the bus in the morning (which costs extra on top of the hotel and parking) and in fairness it was not an expensive choice when compared to parking in an ordinary car park for a week but it is not as good as it used to be.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theoloyla
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Well, my friend and I can't agree on one or two stars! I am a little bit more sympathetic.....
my friend saw the room and nearly died of claustrophobia, the very small window needed a giant to reach it and we are both small....being less travelled I accepted it! my friend did not??? four rooms later.....mould round bed, another minimal room with minimal window.. eventually we were shown a lovely room, but we only found this out once the three cleaning trolleys and two vacuum cleaners and assorted cleaning agents were removed. It's lovely we said....until we noted the unfitted light fitting hanging precariously from the ceiling in the bathroom!
It was obvious that the poor old porter had run out of keys and rooms, we were about to tip him when we asked a question about the light and I really thought he might blow up, hence no tip!
that is not the end.... my friend asked for some more milk on two occasions , on the first they threw it at her,they were cartons luckily, and on the second they said the hotel had run out....
This is an excellent hotel to take students in 'hospitality' , to demonstrate a need for some, no customer care, no smiles, no conversation, just rude staff taking breakfast before it's finished, on this occasion I got another! I was so cross!
my friend in her fourth room choice had no towels or loo roll and rather than inconvenience reception, and believe me, any person in this hotel is an inconvenience, she managed to find them in the 'removed' trolleys.
The room was not serviced,the carpet still had plaster on it and it was obviously awaiting the finishing touches, on the plus side it did have a window and was not mouldy.
Thankfully, we were on the coach 80% of the time, and luckily the trips out were all excellent, would we stay here again......What do you think!? my friend ,herself a trainer would be happy to give some customer service training, as long as it was at least 1000 miles from this actual hotel! would management also note that there are other meats than Turkey! Turkey and Turkey! .......what do they have at Christmas!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the first time a few years ago and were very disappointed with the standard of our room. However, having spent one night at Russ Hill recently, we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was perfectly adequate for our needs, although the bed could have been more comfortable, and an opening window or air conditioning would have been welcome. We had an evening carvery with wine/breakfast/parking/airport transfer package which was extremely good value. The carvery consisted of Turkey and gammon with roast potatoes and vegetables, which needed cooking for just a few more minutes as the cauliflower and broccoli were hard! However, the 3 courses were acceptable. Breakfast was good. The staff, both in reception and bar, were very pleasant. Another thing to consider is that the bus service from Russ Hill to the airport is only once every hour. We would stay overnight again.

Room Tip: Lots of rooms and many have been refurbished but difficult to pinpoint any in particular. Our room w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank greytravellers69
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed here for one night only for social reasons. Reception staff were friendly and efficient. The room was adequate. The price of a single or double was the same but only one bath towel and hand towel. WiFi does not work in the rooms which was annoying. Finding my room was too! I stayed in 252 so find it! It is a rabbit warren with no apparent order. The first rooms start at 600 and something then go into 2 hundreds. Upstairs they become 1 hundreds.. Leads to a lot of exercise playing "Hunt the room" The bar, restaurant and breakfast looked busy but I tried none of them. I ate out.

Although this is a nice hotel in a country setting the car parks go on for ever with all the Gatwick parking. The room gives the impression of battery hens yet is clean and comfortable and well serviced so there are no complaints. It is what it is, a transient hotel which I suppose all of them are. But I like a holiday experience........some hotels do that!

Oh, you had better like aeroplanes flying overhead! They are not intrusive but present.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KirkbyTony
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Spent 3 nights at this hotel when on a short break with National Holidays, it's a bit out of the way and with no pubs or shops within 2 miles you really have no choice but to stay in the hotel during the evening. The staff were all really lovely and helpful, rooms cleaned every day, towels a bit rough to the touch and so was the toilet roll. The tomato soup had never seen a tomato but all the other food at the evening carvery and breakfast was great. We did get a bonus of 99p drinks due to staying on the coach trip but be warned the bar closes at 10.15 each night. Planes do fly over but not after 10pm and the hotel is really quiet at night as no passing traffic or people around.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank FENTONS161
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Do not worry.... Stay here and you really will be transported directly back to the 70s.

OK... perhaps you wont witness time travel, but the facilities and room décor most certainly date from that period. My stay was not awful, but it was certainly not something that I would be wanting to repeat again in a hurry.

I was looking for a cheapish hotel around Gatwick to stay for work for one night and then... if good, book again for a couple of weeks after... needless to say, today, I am currently looking at other hotels to book as I am not keen on returning here.

Its not all bad though, I had a cheap curry in the bar (around 10 pounds), it was presented well and was really quite nice. This was helped by the friendly and pleasant bar staff, however the fact I was not able to open a tab I found a little bizarre, as I often don't carry cash - so I "pre paid" a couple of pints.

However this is where the good points start to die out.

The outside of the hotel is extremely tired and the road and car park need to be ripped up and replaced as there is pot holes everywhere, I was then greeted by a small dog barking at me and trying to get into the car (he was a nice little chap though). The reception area has a new carpet and the staff are well presented and pleasant - its just all very dated and needs a good lick of paint.

The bar (which is through somewhat a maze of corridors) again its a flash back to the 70s, but clean all the same.

My room was the worst part however. On the first floor, it was a small double (which I have no problem with) however the wallpaper was peeling off and the paintwork was stained and chipped. Then the bizarre light switching process - each light was independent. When you first entrance the room through the door the only light switch either side of you or close to the door randomly turns on the en-suite. The only other switch you then see if after the en-suit door and that just switches on the small light over the tea making area; Every light in the room had a an independent switch under it to turn on and off. Its therefore extremely difficult to navigate into the room if you arrive (like I did) in the dark. The furnishings are very dated, some of it falling off the wall and the bed was like sleeping on a floor with random springs on it (from what I can imagine that to feel like).
The shower did not work, the bath was the only option and then you got a choice of boiling hot or freezing water and nothing in the middle - all it needed was a new mixer tap!

WiFi.... Well its advertised as having it, but that's just in the communal areas.. The rooms don't and don't expect 3G either, as the hotel is out in the sticks a little you get very poor signal (if at all).

All in all, its very cheap out of season... don't expect anything other than a very basic bed for the night... I would not really recommend it for business users, for the lack of WiFi and phone reception renders it pretty much useless...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Willagej
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Airport Inn Gatwick
Stanhill Court Hotel
Stanhill Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Charlwood
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel

Been to Russ Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!