“Faulty towers”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
“Faulty towers”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I booked this hotel with parking prior to flying to Norway. Though it seemed cheap,£78 it looked good with airport transfer. Having got there we entered the reception and first impressions were good,a quiet lounge and wood panelled reception . We were given our room and on entering it we assaulted by a strong smell of stale water. Also it seemed we were in a cellar with windows ten feet above ground level. I phoned for an ironing board to find that I had to go to reception to get it. When I did I found that the cover consisted of a simple cotton cover with no padding! If I ironed I got the impression of the holes in the board. When my wife walked barefoot to have a bath she found that the carpet was soaking wet. We complained and got a slightly upgraded room but very small. Neither room had room service or a mini bar. I can honestly say that this is the worst hotel I've been in, used by coach travellers and as accommodation for builders on local jobs

Room Tip: Don't stay there
1 Thank Ian H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Czech first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at this Hotel recently for 1 night and that was more than enough. It was awful. The room was old fashioned and had nothing going for it. The bed was very uncomfortable and the bathroom was awful as well. The shower in the bath was for a midget not an adult. Was in total need of an update. The TV was high up and didn't work. There was only 1 bed side table either side of the bed. The room had no redeeming features. We paid for a breakfast which was awful. The evening meal on the evening we booked in was not great either.
It's a shame such an old building could not have been updated instead of being still in the war era. The price of the rooms certainly were far too high for the condition of them.
The whole hotel needed a complete update. The staff were not that interested in being helpful.

Room Tip: No Good Rooms. Book another Hotel.
1 Thank jumpracing
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Wow! the actual worst hotel room I've ever stayed in. Where to start... The bed was boxed in which meant I couldn't actually fit in it (I'm 5ft11"), the bathroom was absolutely tiny and in complete disrepair with a shower that was so narrow and short that I doubt many people could actually stand in, there were no windows just a single glazed door that anyone passing could see or hear inside (and vice versa), it was very hot in there due to the lack of windows or air-con, a broken table with no chair, no useable plug socket so I couldn't charge my phone and my wife could not straighten her hair, the walls were very thin and I could hear what was going on in both rooms either side of me... The room has probably not been redecorated since the 80's would be my guess. Thankfully I only had to be there for about 6 hours as I had a flight to catch early the next morning so I didn't have to experience what would've probably been a 'treat' of a breakfast..

Room Tip: Look on the internet and choose another hotel.
2 Thank SuperHanz
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Tired, dated and shabby throughout. Disinterested staff. Room absolutely dreadful, food poor, vomit was left on the carpet in a public corridor just up from the restaurant the evening we were there, but it wasn't cleaned up for over an hour, despite staff knowing about it. We were given a room change and it was admittedly much better, but it spoilt the start of a much needed holiday. We never write complaint letters (life's too busy!) but we did on this occasion, and the hotel's response was poor.

Room Tip: Just don't go here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melissa R
Gravesend, Kent
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday evening. On arrival the hotel looked like an old country house with, unfortunately acres of grounds covered in tarmac and given over to airport parking. I thought this was a shame as it was along a quiet country road. I booked in and was given a key to a room on the ground floor. On arrival at the room it didn't look too bad, ver dated with an 80's border and dark furniture but clean, Once I went to put the kettle on I realised that the kettle was directly above the child bed, along with a heater directly touching the pillow of this bed! The coffee was awful, a tiny sachet that did not taste of anything and tiny pods of 'milk'. I had taken some of my own thank goodness! I then went to use the bathroom! Oh my! Cracked tiles around the mirror, hairy bath, rusty plug, mould, filthy shower mat (as I discovered the following morning) and no bath mat. There were also two very rusty screws on the wall behind the toilet and sink area. The 'shampoo/conditioner/body wash' totally stripped my hair of any moisture so I have grave doubts about the quality of that too. I itched for the rest of the day on Sunday after my morning shower. Having said all of the above the linen, both towels and bedding, were immaculately clean. Food - none was included in the price and as I was on my own, I decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. A big mistake! The food was luke warm (I arrived at just after 6 and the restaurant opened at 6). I had soup to start which was not too bad, some form of tomato as far as I could make out, followed by gammon and veg. The gammon was very fatty, the roast potatoes were soft and tasteless and not at all crispy and the veg were fine if a little cool. The chef actually stirred a thick skin in to the gravy before he offered me any - I declined! Dessert was a choice of cake, cake or cake and custard. The custard was barely warm , had skin on the top and a layer of water (it was instant as it tasted of nothing and was powdery). To cap it all off, I found a large piece of cardboard in my dessert! Drinks are available from the bar, all that is available in the restaurant was luke warm 'chilled water' from a machine. I did have a good nights sleep as the bed was comfortable and clean but I will not be staying here again. It is unfortunate as I am in the area quite a bit. I will look for something else next time.

Room Tip: Don't choose to stay
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Manchester
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed at the russ hill hotel for 3 night whilst working in london.
The hotel is extremely out dated and has absolutely zero atmosphere. The room we had was absolutely horrendous. We had one tiny window, which couldnt open fully because there was a huge white wall about 12 inches from the window. If you get a key with the number 246 immediately request another room, it is a prison cell. No extractor fan in the bathroom, so after one shower the bathroom is a steam room.
Worst of all was the shocking standard of food. It was horrendous. Ordered of the menu in the bar. Pizzas look like they are £2 asda own brand! But the hotel is more than happy to charge you £10-12 for this, along with the fish which also looks like its come from a frozen pack of a box of 50! Im not food critic but it was horrendous and the price for the dishes is way to much for the quality of food.
I would massively recommend that people avoid this hotel at all costs. All the negative reviews on here are exactly as they read. We dont expect much from a 3 star, but we do expect the basics, which they couldnt even do!
Extremely dissapointed.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank kyky1987
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My son likened Russ Hill to Fawlty Towers but without the laughs. The beds were absolutely appalling, the springs actually protruded from the mattress causing much discomfort until I laid the duvet over the mattress before laying again on it. The food in the restaurant was inedible, it was inedible... such a bad to start to our holiday. Thankfully on my return my car was okay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Stanhill Court Hotel
Stanhill Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Charlwood

Been to Russ Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!