“The Sculpture Park, Churt”
Review of The Sculpture Park

The Sculpture Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Churt
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This is a gem of a place to visit - over 600 sculptures to see including an amazing eagle with a wing span of perhaps 30 feet. Full sized horses made from driftwood and full sized horses made form anything from old shoes to toys and old telephones - quite amazing, to mention just a few items.

The walk through the woods with ponds, bridges and small waterfalls is quite beautiful.

And afterwards a drink in the Pride of the Valley Hotel and pub opposite finished off a very pleasant morning.

Thoroughly recommended.

in 6 reviews
"on display"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Although this park is only a short drive from my home,we had never visited until recently.We were looking for something to do involving a bit of a walk and not too far to drive.Seeing an advertisement in a local paper I decided we should visit.
The walk,following the many colour coded paths,took longer than expected and towards the end we were having to rush a bit as we needed to be home at a certain time.
It was all quite fascinating.We had a guide handed to us at the reception hut which meant you could look up the sculptor,title of exhibit and price.Most were for sale.I must admit at seeing the price of some of them especially sculptures made out of reclaimed materials we said 'Oh they're having a laugh'.Many I wouldn't have given house (or garden) room to but others were quite beautiful.So there is a great choice for everyone here.They are not cheap,although some were in the hundreds rather than thousands and there were a few I could have happily bought,had I the funds to spare.I am not a collector but do like lovely shapes and beautiful objects.
The walk was most pleasant--shady woodland with many streams and water features with bridges to cross.Following the trails was easy with the guide.You might miss some areas without it.
If you are in the area and looking for something different to do,go here for an interesting easy walk.Prices are good and there is a very generous senior citizen rate.

1  Thank Mummygaot
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I visited the Sculpture Park for the first time last year after a friend recommended it. It's probably one of the most enjoyable places I've ever visited. If you like sculptures then this is definately the place for you...if you like wandering through the woods then this is the place for you too. I've never seen such a diverse range of art displayed in such beautiful surroundings before - just a great day out and worth every penny and the worn out feet.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

all in the open air so go when the weather is good.
No cafe etc-pity

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I visited as a parent-helper as part of a school trip. I am not an art fanatic by a long way. All 5 children I was supervising in my group greatly enjoyed their visit here, and all of the parent-helpers I spoke to also enjoyed their visit, such that we all plan to visit again with our families.

The park is fairly compact - probably about the size of a couple of football pitches, situated in woodland on the side of a hill, with some ponds/water features at the bottom. A series of paths zig-zag the park, with sculptures of all shapes, sizes, genres, materials and standards and the like every few paces. Additional exhibits are set in the trees or on the water. The park itself appears to be well maintained, and is kept clean.

Facilities there looked a bit on the thin side - for example there were no toilets apparent on site and I did not see anywhere selling refreshments (not that I looked) - but there is a pub immediately opposite. Also there is no information about each sculpture along side it (e.g. who made it, when, etc) - only a number, so I am guessing that a guide is available containing such information.

There was a small entrance charge (£6) but was in my opinion is well worth it to go somewhere a bit different with a bit of culture in the fresh air. I look forward to going back!

2  Thank DaveUK1968