“Be warned - No toilet facilities”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sculpture Park

The Sculpture Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Churt
Staines, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Be warned - No toilet facilities”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited this park on Saturday with friends as it was on their wish list. We are all pensioners, over 70, and had a fairly long drive to reach it. When we went to reception to pay we asked where their toilets were and were told they didn't have any but we could use the facilities in the hotel opposite the entrance. The impression we were given was that the park was linked to the hotel. When we went in to the hotel the manager, who was extremely pleasant, said he was sorry but their facilities were only for use by the hotel guests and customers. However we were welcome to have a coffee and then we could use them, which is what we did. The manager explained that the hotel is nothing to do with the Sculpture Park and they were, understandably, fed up with a stream of visitors coming in to use the toilets. As we all agreed, it would be perfectly simple to put chemical toilets within the park. The Park itself does have a wide range of sculptures, set amongst woodland and around small lakes and I'm sure we would have enjoyed the experience much more without the poor start.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Jameses16

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great little trip out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I was recommend this place by a friend who had been. I took my 5 year old son, my partner and a picnic and set off for the morning.
This place is a hidden little gem that I had not heard of before. With every step you take there's something new to see in beautiful surroundings. My soon had a great time navigating around the woods wanting to be the first to see something. Sculptures were place at eye level, up high in the trees and low on the ground. He found it so exciting. My partner and I had a great time guessing the value of the art.
Weather your a keen art lover or just fancy a walk with something to look at this is the place for you. It took us two and a half hours to walk around. The walk is not suitable for buggy's and there's some steep steps along the way.
Entry Costa £3 for a child and £6 for an adult. With this you get given a guide book with the route to follow and information on the sculptures. There's over 600 of them!!
The only draw back is there's no toilets or somewhere to grab a bite to eat onsite but there is a pub right opposite.
I will definitely be visiting again!!

1 Thank Karen M
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Magical , imaginative, cultural”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This has to be the best value attraction in the south east, £6 adults, £3 concessions. A magical woodland chock full of statues (600 of 'em!). Twisting and turning paths, ponds, water features, unusual seating, ducks, doves, fantastic trees which look like statues themselves and all those works of art, most of which are for sale. I overheard the owner say that he bought the derelict land 12 years ago, and if that is the case, what has been achieved here is fantastic. It took us about 2 1/2 hrs to get around. You get a guide to all the statues, it is good fun guessing the subject matter (if they are abstract), the material and the price. You could make a day of it and take a picnic. Limited parking and no facilities though. Remember to look up, there is all manner of stuff in the trees! A wonderful experience and one I will be repeating in the autumn.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Nosage99
London
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Lovely oasis full of inspiration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Fantastic place to spend at least 4 hours looking at a wide range of scultpure, some hanging, others on water. When I was there there were very few visitors so was really tranquil and really are immersed within the forest and there is a lot to see.

As there is a lot to see, I would recommend seeing it in two stages with lunch midway at the Bel and the dragon opposite which is well worth it..

Only negatives would be 1) they don't have toilet so they tell you to go to the Bel and dragon opposite but really it's not allowed! 2) could do with a decent map and up to date list of sculptures

Visited May 2014
1 Thank londontownlady
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Visit this if you're a sculpture vulture!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Visited The Sculpture Park in July 2014. Great location set in woodlands surrounding several ponds, there is a maze of bushy paths and every 5-10 feet there's a sculpture. There's almost every variety you can imagine to suit every taste. We visited on a sunny and quiet day (rain was forecast) and it was very peaceful and enjoyable. The guide says there are 650 sculptures but we didn't count them all. What was also good is there's a great pub just across the road, The Bell & Dragon so you can nip off for lunch half way around and then go back to finish off. The ponds are marked but deep so probably not great for small kids, also not buggy friendly.

Visited July 2014