“Sorry Not For Us”
Review of Bel & The Dragon

Bel & The Dragon
Ranked #1 of 2 Churt B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were looking forward to the experience of an exciting new restaurant in the area. The new decor was very impressive and beautifully done. However - it then fell apart. I ordered the pumpkin soup which on arrival was luke warm and fairly bland - after a couple of spoonfuls I was aware of a very sharp hard object in my mouth which turned out to be a large piece of plastic with a pointed end - this could have been very serious had I swallowed it. Having called the server and pointed it out it was taken away - and the soup was replaced 15 minutes later (after my friends had finished their starters - they had the scallops and said they were very good). However the soup was so hot this time it was scalding and I had to wait for it to cool down. My second course was the special of the evening " Pan fried plaice on a bed of roasted vegetables". On arrival it was the strangest "plaice" I had ever seen. Once again the server was called "Oh did I say plaice - I meant sea bass. Don't you want it ? Do you want to order something else?" I did not feel inclined to wait another 30 minutes as my friends already had their meals. We were supposed to be dining together! So I stayed with the sea bass which was completely tasteless - the vegetables were as bad - couldn't tell what they were. The extra vegetables ordered were in enamel dishes so hot one couldn't move them around the table but strangely were luke warm to eat. Being the designated driver I only had a glass of wine but my friends had a couple of bottles of red and they said it was excellent but a bit pricey. What is the strange idea of serving wine in tumblers and not wine glasses?? After the soup episode a gentleman came to me and said obviously the soup would be complimentary and they were very sorry. Fair enough things happen. After the fiasco with the fish no-one came near us - not even the usual "How is your meal ?" After paying over £190 for the four of us including a compulsory service charge (no complimentary soup either first or second helping) we were not impressed and I am afraid we will not be returning. I love my food and we are lucky to have some excellent eating establishments in the area and I see from other reviews that I appear to be the only person to have had a bad experience - I hope this is so and it was just one of those nights when everything went wrong.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank FrancesT61

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I agreed to meet an old friend here as it was half way between us. We loved it. It has a really cosy, warm, welcoming feel to it and the décor is smart but unpretentious. Our rooms were gorgeous - filled with lovely old Penguin classics and other retro touches (like old dial up phones - that work!).
Most of all it was the food that really impressed us. The menu is perfect. We could have eaten it all. You can choose from expensive lobster or rib of beef at one end, to rabbit stew or macaroni cheese at the other. My friend had the burrata + beetroot (so beautiful on the plate) and the duck and said both were absolutely excellent. I had the macaroni cheese (perfect - light, elegant, hot and not smothered with sauce) and then the lamb. The meat was superb, but the vegetables were even better. We were just too full for pudding!
It was so nice to eat simple, QUALITY, beautifully cooked, un-fussy food. It is so hard to find places who do this - even in London let alone the countryside. Bel and the Dragon has got it absolutely spot on!
We had a fabulous stay. Thank you.
PS. The staff were all charming too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2013

So pleased to see Bel and The Dragon pop up in Churt, a very welcome addition to the area. We had dinner there and it was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and love the way they serve the wine! Food was delicious, good portion sizes and well priced and we will definitely be back. Sneaked a tour of the new bedrooms too - wanted to tuck up there and then!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We came to the Bel & The Dragon on a Sunday afternoon and were very impressed. The decor is stunning, creating a great relaxed atmosphere. Bar staff were very knowledgable and friendly. We were also shown some of the rooms which are beautiful. Unfortunately we did not have time to eat, but will definitely be returning for a meal.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Pigeon180
Reviewed 11 March 2013

we first stayed here on our wedding night 25 years ago. The service has always been the same very welcoming . This time our children sent me there this time for Mother's Day . We stayed in the French room number 9 our second time. This is a lovely room ,a bit mad but hey I love it the bath room is behind wardrobe doors and its a big room with roll top bath. The bed lovely and comfortable and I love the leaves and grapes going up the four posts around the bed.
There is tea things in the room always a bonus.
you sleep like a log as its very quite . Breakfast there is good choice plus a full English very nice. The staff are very attentive and friendly.
Sadly then Hotel has now been brought anted the new owners plan to renovate, I suppose it does need it. I hope The welcome will be the same. I look forward to returning and experiencing a new era at the pride of the valley.

Room Tip: Number nine it won't be like this for long.