“Needs to up its game”
Review of Bel & The Dragon

Bel & The Dragon
Ranked #1 of 2 Churt B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Would love this place to work as it is my local and have given it three goes. but no more as all visits deeply disappointing. If this is to be regarded as a restaurant, (given the prices assume this is the aim,) far greater attention needed to quality on all levels, delivery, service and ambience. There has been an excellent renovation of a tired building, completely transformed, I hope the owners follow this through to delivering the menu equally well. Staff are delightful but appear to lack experience. I would revisit for a lunchtime sandwich style meal as I work/walk locally but that would be all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tessa672

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Completely in love with this place. Amazing service and excellent hospitality. Family run with a group of incredibly friendly staff. Accommodation, quaint and kitsch, still provided maximum comfort and care. Lovely details such as vintage books in all the rooms, which were named after literary figures from Austen novels, and beautifully thought out interior design. Very clean and high spec modern bathroom. Although expensive, well worth the price! Complementary damson vodka was a plus as well! Food was of a high quality, and there was a lot of it! Extremely welcoming environment, multiple lit fire places and very warmly decorated. Wonderful restaurant/bar lay out, allowing maximum amounts of eating and drinking. I would not of stayed anywhere else!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Callum C
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Bel and The Dragon is a very relaxing, attractive place with the most welcoming atmosphere. The room we had, Bertram, was extremely comfortable and the bathroom and the products provided were luxurious. Underfloor heating in the bathroom was much appreciated. Mike was the perfect host, very hospitable and friendly and truly enthusiastic to make your stay a memorable one. I'd recommend sampling at least one of the cocktails on offer in the bar. We were unable to have an evening meal due to our late booking and a large party already booked in, however if breakfast is any gauge of quality, it shouldn't be one to miss. The best scrambled eggs ever and the warmed bread drizzled with olive oil was just delicious. It was also refreshing to have such a big 'window' for breakfast; 8am - 11am. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Bel and The Dragon in Churt for a weekend away. Getting out of the hustle and bustle of London, Bel and The Dragon provided us with a lovely country location but with a 'London standard' of food and service. I was delighted with the friendly welcome we received upon arriving and the ongoing helpfulness of the staff both in the B&B and the restaurant. The rooms were clean, tidy and of a good standard. Our evening meal was peaceful and I don't think I have tasted beef quite as good as the Rib of Beef we had as our main. All in all a brilliant spot for a sneaky night away, so much so, I have just booked another visit during the summer!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The restaurant here was recommended to me by a customer and I stumbled across their accommodation by accident when looking at the menu online. I am glad I did, as I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff were very welcoming on my arrival, i was offered complimentary coffee amongst other surprises and shown to my room. It was spotless, decorated very tastefully with a luxurious feel, the bed was huge and very comfortable. Stayed for dinner and breakfast and I was just as equally impressed with the food and dining service as I was with the room. I will be returning for sure and couldn't recommend this place highly enough. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I accidentally found this place when my usual lodging for work was flooded at Hampton.
I had a warm welcome, given a beautiful room, with complimentary coffee, bottled water and vodka available.

The room was tastefully decorated, with a large comfy bed and plush bedding.
It was spotlessly clean and I enjoyed two restful nights at the hotel.

I have since booked rooms for the future and stayed again since my initial stay. My room the second time around was a little smaller and was located at the rear by the kitchen so was a little noisy until about 23.30pm due to the extractor but again it was spotlessly clean, with a comfy bed and to a very high standard.

I look forward to staying here again and it has made a real difference to the quality of my evenings after work when lodging away from home. I would not hesitate to recommend the Bel and The Dragon to colleagues and praised it highly to my friends and family.

Best stay for work in 12 months!!

Room Tip: Room above reception and rooms to the rear by the kitchen are a little noisy but are quiet after 23...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We attended this restaurant one Sunday evening when there was only one other table eating for the whole evening so the lack of good service and customer relations was inexcusable.
The only reason to go back here would be for the food. Luckily for the owners of this establishment the chefs in the kitchen were extremely competent and produced some of the finest dishes this chef has eaten out in a long time. We started with a hearty broth and the crispy peppered squid, which supplied us with one of the few slight disappointments to the meal where the chilli jam obviously came out of a bottle, probably sporting a navy coloured mythical flying creature. For the main course we plumped for the pork belly, roast potatoes and apple sauce, unfortunately the skin was not crispy but the chefs very kindly rectified this without complaint. We also tried the seared tuna, with warm salad and homemade pickle. This dish was the jewel in the crown of the whole meal, absolutely divine, perfectly seared and nice contrast between all the components. To end the meal we had a scrummy crumble with fresh custard and a light but zesty lemon tart.
So as the title to this review suggests, if you can get through the terrible service the food is well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Churt
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
#5 of 6 in Farnham
The Georgian Hotel
The Georgian Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere

Been to Bel & The Dragon? Share your experiences!