“Food review”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Churt
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Becoming overpriced for the area. The nobility has worn off. The GM tries very hard and he has the respect of the local's for what he is doing. L

1  Thank Travelresearcher1

Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was our first visit to the Bel & Dragon
We were in one of the booths which are too upright and tight to be comfortable

The food was good and the service was very good

A bit pricey though for what you get

2  Thank barrington594
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Enjoyed a fabulous stone baked pizza in the afternoon sunshine, with a couple of bottles of Mirabeau 'Pure' and excellent service from the team at Bel & The Dragon, Churt, as always, with the amazing Michael at the helm!

What more could you ask for??

1  Thank MRW60
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We visited this restaurant in July for a romantic meal for two. I was greatly impressed with the refurbishment and the way they have managed to bring much need light into the bar area. Having moved the bar and added french doors to the new patio area they have really lifted this area beautifully.

The staff were really attentive all evening and very knowledgeable, and the manager was friendly and welcoming too. We were able to order our food at the bar and then the staff came through for us when the food was ready. The food was very tasty and well presented. I agree with other reviews that it is slightly pricey, but the venue, presentation and service is worth it. I liked being able to see the kitchen preparing the food through the big open window in the dining area, and we particularly enjoyed watching the chef show his assistant how to prepare a lobster.

However, my big no, no - wine being served in a tumbler! It's just not on, the last time that happened to me was at a student party. The glass was beautifully clean, but at other restaurants this would be labelled a water glass! It ruined my enjoyment of my glass of wine and I did not order another.

1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Having celiac disease I was delighted to think I has found a restaurant with such a delicious sounding menu offering gluten free options including fries and thyme roasted potatoes in duck fat. However, after placing an order I was informed that all chips, fries and roasted potatoes are fried in gluten contaminated oil and thus unsuitable for coeliacs.
I asked if chef could salute some potatoes but was told no as they were all pre prepped. Disappointed and hungry I cancelled my order and left, explaining my reasons for doing so to the receptionist. He was, apologetic and said the general manager would phone me the next day to discuss the matter. I am still waiting.......
Meanwhile, fellow coeliacs beware. Either give spuds a miss or take your own.

3  Thank Btower