“Best place in Croydon” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Albert's Table

Albert's Table
Reserve with OpenTable
Albert's Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 458 Restaurants in Croydon
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Bus stop outside serving multiple bus routes. 5 minute walk from South Croydon train station.
Description: CR0 1BF
“Best place in Croydon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I adore this restaurant. The food is always tasty and exciting - everyone I bring here is surprised by the standard and the great value for money.

The staff are great and the service has definitely improved in recent visit to make the experience even better! For special occasions the tasting menu is a nice idea.

Desserts are very good here especially the soufflés - so make sure you save room!

• Visited December 2013
Joby W, Owner at Albert's Table, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for such a glowing review. It is great to
read that you enjoy our food and service. We take great pride in everything that we produce and look forward to you returning to enjoy us again.

Surey
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch, the menu had some very nice choices, the service was perfect and the wine list very good.

• Visited December 2013
Joby W, Owner at Albert's Table, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
We are glad that you enjoyed your lunch today. Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it is always a pleasure to read our customers feedback. If you enjoyed the wine, perhaps you would enjoy one of our Tasting Evenings, do email me for more details. We hope to welcome back soon.
“Exceptional!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

...I would like to say it is a shame Makbill didnt 'like' Albert's Table but I cant. Having dined at some of central london's best/Michelin starred restaurants, I relish every opportunity to come back to my local haunt.Value, quantity and best of all taste is second to none.
Well dont Alberts Table (Joby and Team)! Please dont go changing...

• Visited March 2014
Joby W, Owner at Albert's Table, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We are always happy to read such lovely reviews. We strive to always produce excellent dishes in a friendly and relaxed environment and look forward to welcoming you back.
Bude, United Kingdom
“Sublime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Last night I ate one of the best meals of my life. What a surprise to find a great meal at an unpretentious restaurant behind roadworks in Croydon. Every mouthful caused an mmmm but the service easily matched the food. Friendly, helpful and natural. Thanks Trip Advisor for helping us to find this place!

• Visited April 2014
Joby W, Owner at Albert's Table, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback for us. It is always a pleasure to read such a positive review. We look forward to hosting you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
“This would not survive in central London where there is choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I went there on a Saturday night a couple of weeks ago for the 2nd time, and I wish I had trusted my judgement from my first visit, which was a good few years ago. This is exactly the kind of restaurant that can only survive in Croydon where there is no competition from other restaurants in this price range.
£28 for 2 courses, £34 for 3 courses. This is not cheap by any means, and that's just for the food. which frankly is not worth this much. Surprisingly, the place was fully booked, I'd say mostly with the older crowd, 50s to 60s. A few younger couples dotted here and there.
I felt that they were perhaps (still) trying to be something that they were not (and could not be). The chef doesn't really seem to understand combination of flavours that work - I'm all for experimenting myself, but when I'm paying £120 for two for a meal (with a bottle of wine), I'd expect something really quite good, or at least something that works. My main of cod was a disaster - other than that the cod itself was cooked perfectly, albeit with no seasoning at all. How they constructed the dish was odd to say the least. First, they covered a big plate with strips of grilled red and yellow peppers with olive oil. On top of this sea of peppers, was either a potato pancake or a soufle of some sort gone very wrong (it had absorbed so much of the moisture from the layer below, that it was difficult to identify). And on top of this they placed their fairly well cooked piece of cod with no taste. And it gets stranger. They decided to decorate the plate with a handful of mussels fried in heavy batter. What was the chef thinking?? The result, a messy brown/beige looking plate. Not something you'd expect from a restaurant pretending to be high-cuisine and commanding the sort of prices they are.
For dessert, some ice cream - Surely they can't get this wrong? How wrong we were! At this point I actually asked the waiter if anyone had tasted the vanilla ice cream. It was overloaded with sugar to the point that it was sickly sweet, and vanilla? What vanilla! So our meal ended with an icy sugar and milk mixture. I went home and had some Haagen Datz vanilla ice cream, just to get over the taste of the previous one.
In central London this restaurant would be empty (other than a few unsuspecting tourists). In Croydon, however, it seems to have hit the spot with the wealthier and older Croydon crowd. Unfortunately for me, however, there will not be a third visit to Albert's Table. My hope is for Brasserie Vacherin across the road to up their game a little to get their standard close to their original restaurant in Chiswick.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MaakT
Joby W, Owner at Albert's Table, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
We are saddened to hear that you feel this way about our restaurant and food. As I am sure you have seen by our other reviewers, our food is highly regarded by regulars and newcomers, and it is clear that the food was not to your taste. We appreciate all who take time to give us feedback.