“Excellent!!”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Friendly staff, beautiful, modern hotel - all mod cons!!
Neds are excellent....We'll be BACK

Room Tip: all the rooms are good
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel whilst visiting the area. When booking the hotel I read that £2million had recently been spent on a refurbishment. I can honestly not see where this money had been spent. The room was extremely small and decorated in dark drab colours and a very basic bathroom. The bed had the most uncomfortable matress I have ever slept on. The bed was extremely small for a 'double', far too short for me at 5'8. The matress was completely stiff and there was no duvet!!! Just a thin sheet and fleece blanket... Lots of loud noise all night with doors slamming along the hall as late as 4am in the morning.

Plus points were staff were helpful but this is pretty much all I can say.

I definitely wont be back any time soon.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Sianie_88
Gordon C, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Sian-ie 88,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you found your stay unsatisfactory and the hotel not refurbished to your taste. As much as I respect your view point the majority of our guests are satisfied with the results of the refurbishment.

The hotel, originally built in 1928, had suffered with neglect in recent years and it now has a stunning new lobby, stylish lounge bar and brasserie. The function and meeting rooms have been enhanced and are second to none.

All our doors are equipped with door closers to avoid slamming. I refute the notion that the doors were slamming throughout the night. If this was the case my Night Manager would have dealt with this promptly as we have zero tolerance noise policy on the floors.

The hotel’s 110 rooms, including double deluxe, executive doubles and suites, have all seen an overhaul with sumptuous bedding, chenille throws and luxury cushions. Again our corporate guests and leisure guests are pleased with the choice available.

Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hallmark Hotel Croydon.

Kind regards

Gordon Chingara
London
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel but ate in the Brasserie as waiting to pick up our daughter from an evening out. There was a wedding on and a few were at the bar when we arrived, were seated efficiently but the whole set up quite strange, the bar, reception and brasserie are all open plan. So whilst you are eating you can hear every word from bar drinkers and see people checking in and walking past with their luggage, it was a bit surreal, especially when two male guests from the wedding had a loud argument swearing at each other! No music to distract you from the noise surrounding you so a bit atmosphereless.
Bread and starters arrived fairly quickly but quite a wait for the main courses. Husbands steak a bit well done for his liking had asked for medium rare but my pan fried chicken was lovely albeit served on a small wooden board in the little pan it was cooked in so quite difficult to eat. Service went downhill after that and we waited ages to have our table cleared and for the bill, then nobody around to pay so had to take it to the bar to pay ourselves. Would we go back? yes probably would because the prices are fair for what is offered but service really needs to be more slick, with staff being around at all times.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed at the Hallmark in Croydon in January 2012 with business.

The first thing to know is that the hotel is NOT in a good location - it is well away from the town centre, and you will need a taxi to get from East Croydon. This costs £10 for a single trip, so be sure to add this to your stay costs!

Once there, the hotel looks impressive - clean and tidy - but it soon becomes apparent that it is in the middle of nowhere! There are no shops in the immediate vicinity - when I checked with the hotel, they confirmed this and said I should take a taxi into town if I needed to buy anything from shops!

The reception of the hotel was bright, clean and welcoming. Checkin was fast and efficient; reception staff were friendly and efficient.

Corridors to the room were tired and showed definite signs of wear and tear. The room itself was the same - a little tired and tatty. Clean enough though, and everything worked. Internet was free and good.

The fitness and leisure club facilities advertised were actually at a club across four lanes of busy dual carriageway, so I decided not to risk my neck getting there! The hotel also charged a £15 deposit for using it! Not good!

I ordered room service; basic food, sky high prices for what it was though. Not great value.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent - good value and great selection of food. Checkout was friendly and efficient; however, another £10 to get back to the station via taxi :(

On the whole I can't recommend the hotel. Good price, but too far away from the town and the station.

PROS
Good price
Free internet
Good restaurant
Good breakfast

CONS
Not a great location - you need a taxi or car to get to and from
Tired rooms
Leisure facilities not really on-site
High food prices, food not great

Room Tip: Add £20 for taxi fare to and from town centre/station
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank coopuk
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I’ve just made my first visit to Hallmark Croydon since the refurbishment finished (I visited several years ago when it was previously known as the Aerodrome). The bar and Brasserie look great and service has improved a lot. The bedrooms are also like new and the beds very comfy. I think it’s got to be the best hotel in the area now. Big thanks to Ellen in reception for looking after me so well!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MHH1009
Leeds UK
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I booked two standard double rooms for three nights at this hotel. The rooms were both very clean, comfortable and well appointed. Tastfully decorated and unlike some other hotels we've stayed in the tea and coffee facilities were topped up daily. The breakfast buffet was a little limited in choise but was adequate. The reception and breakfast staff were always freindly and polite and I'll definately consider staying here again.
We didn't eat in the hotel so I can't comment on the restaurant.
The only thing that I found a little strange was having to leave a £50 per room deposite in case we did use the restauant or room service.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I recently attended a conference at this hotel and can honesty say I cannot think of anything that could have been done to make the stay any more enjoyable.
All the staff I encountered were very friendly, the food was lovely (we had breakfast, conference lunch and dinner in the evening), and my bedroom was fab with a nice sized tv and good shower.
The restaurant, bar and reception (it all merges together) looks really stunning (very funky wall lights).
I would certainly recommend this hotel for business or to anyone needing to visit the Croydon area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Gordon C, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear Millybobs,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I am most delighted to read your comments which I have shared with my team.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Kind regards