“Not 4* Noisy and Useless Staff”

Hallmark Hotel London Croydon Aerodrome
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Double Room was dirty and tired, the double bed consisted of 2 singles pushed together. Stains on the bathroom roof and we found coffee spills in a drawer and all over a hairdryer.

We had the unfortunate experience of staying at the hotel when they had a function on, we were on the 5th floor and we could hear the music so loud we could make out the lyrics and the bass from the speakers made our wardrobe door vibrate.

I complained a reception and was told there was no other rooms available and there was nothing he could do, when I said this was unacceptable he shrugged his shoulders and repeated himself. I asked if they could turn the music down or at least the bass and was told no. I got no help at all from the member of staff and was told I just had to put up with it until it finished at 0100, which made me even more angry as we had a flight to catch at 0600.

I called the day after to complain to the manager who had left by the time I complained who thanked me for the information and said she would speak to the member of staff. The story must have been funny as she was sniggering whilst hanging up.

Apart from incompetent staff the food was really nice at the hotel and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Book another hotel, the Hilton across the road looked nice and so did the Premier Inn.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daniel k
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us but disappointed to hear that you were disturbed due to noise and that you felt it was not dealt with efficiently. Again thank you for your feedback which I will discuss with the relevant department.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel on business. I was there for 2 nights so left my belongings in the room whilst I went to the office. Upon returning to my room, some of my personal belongings had been stolen from my room totally about £600. I am now out of pocket as a result of this trip as they have not only been incompetent in dealing with it, I am being told I am not able to claim on their insurance.

When I complained to their Head Office, they passed me straight back to the manager at the hotel who i was complaining about and thus still haven't dealt with the issue.

Dint even get me started on the lack of speed and customer service on top of this.

Basically, don't stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Caroline W

We are genuinely sorry for your loss regarding this unfortunate situation, however i am disappointed that your are not happy with our response. This matter was immediatley reported to the Police who dealt with this accordingly.

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and all I can say is I won't return even though I get a cheaper rate using a company code!

I was in a single room on the 4th floor which seemed ideal, clean and cosy. I then realised there was a loud noise looked out the window and looked onto a big metal tube which must've been making the noise. Ignored it as I am a deep sleeper so didn't worry to much.
Thought I'd order room service but a disappointing menu with a £4.50 plate charge put me off so went across the road for a Pizza Hut!

Biggest issue of all was that there was a door outside which everyone someone went through it it slammed and actually woke me up....it was that bad the walk shaked and the first time I thought there was an earthquake! Absolutely awful!

Check was a disgrace too - 15 minutes it took. Might be an idea to put someone else on during peak time! If you want to check out around 08:30 I'd allow 15 minutes extra!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Gathers4
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to apologies for the disturbance caused during your stay with us. I have investigated the noise you heard from the door out side your room and it has since been repaired so it no longer makes any noise. Regarding the tray charge of £4.50 this is standard in any 4 star hotel. if you are ever in the area again I would appreciate if you would contact me directly as I would like to offer you an upgrade to one of our Executive rooms for the inconvenience of your last stay. Again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I am pleased to say I was the Event Arranger for the above planned visit for our pensioner group of 70 in October. We have used this hotel for many years for our group meals and this report relates to our latest visit.

The Hotel first of all kindly arranged complimentary Buck's Fizz for our arrival. Nearly all then adjourned next door to the Aerodrome Museum, which was opened for us, for an hour's very interesting guided tour. As London's First Airport this is a great opportunity for visitor's but sadly, as manned by volunteers, only on 1st Sunday of the month unless prearranged for a group!

After returning, we moved to the aptly named Amy Johnson Suite for our excellent 3 course (3 choices for each course) meal. Many have since been very complimentary about the meals and the event itself. Also the service and helpful staff were excellent and made it very easy for me and a day to remember.

I should add we had invited 5 VIP's including our FTSE 100 Company Secretary. I have also since received compliments from them. Our Company Secretary used this opportunity to update us all on our company's new direction.

I would personally like to thank Danielle, the Manager, Rebecca & Louise and the rest of the staff for their help and assistance in making this a memorable event.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was really glad to read that everything was to your satisfaction. It is great to hear that you and all your party enjoyed your meal with us a that you felt well looked after by all the team. Again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just the job for a London trip.rooms are clean well kept,breakfast is first rate plenty to choose from.Hotel is in an ideal location for a London trip.My family stayed here for 3nights and enjoyed every minute well worth the visit

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 475woody

Thank you for your recent review, I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and found our breakfast to be to your satisfaction. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel a year ago for business, and was unfortunate enough to have to stay here once again this weekend.

The rooms are pretty standard and well appointed, and food is of a good quality the service however is appalling.

The staff at this hotel are in serious need of training to deliver even the most basic customer care, such as when there are people obviously waiting to be served at the bar not to walk off or stand at the restaurant till gossiping to their friends. A 35 minute wait to be served is unacceptable as is being charged different prices for the same round of drinks because the staff are incapable of listening to an order and then running it through the till. I would also expect bar staff to have a basic understanding of the drinks they are serving, Gordon's gin is not Hendricks, nor is Archers Vodka.

Restaurant staff also need to be trained how to take an order and how to wait a table. It is beyond belief in a supposedly 4* hotel that they would clear a table before each diner has finished eating or that you would just bring out dishes as they are ready. If my dining partner is having a starter and I am not I don't expect my main to arrive before his starter.

I tried to request the details of their head office to complain as my complaints last year were obviously not taken on board, however no one ever bother to give me them despite me requesting them a number of times at reception and from a manager.

I could go on and list everything but all you need to know is not to bother staying here unless it is for some sort of weird bet.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Chris A
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Croydon Aerodrome, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food during your stay but very disappointed to hear about the issues during your dining experience. I have taken all your points and brought it to the attention of our Food & Beverage team to ensure that this experience will never be repeated Again I appreciate your feedback and hope that you would consider using us again the future.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here while working in the area, nice big car park, spacious room and great food.
Had a really good nights sleep and found all the staff I met really friendly and helpful
Would definitely stay again if working in the area

Room Tip: Spoke to several other guest who all said there rooms were fine and all had a great nights sleep
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your lovely recent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back some time in the near future.