Hilton London Croydon
US$95
Agoda.com
US$80
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn London Croydon(Croydon)(Great Value!)
US$80
Priceline
US$86
Travelocity
1,296 results
All reviewsbreakfast was excellenttrain stationone night staygatwick airportpurleyvictoria
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Not a lot to say here that hasn't already been said.

As anyone reading this review will probably already be aware, the hotel is currently undergoing a much needed refurbishment, and naturally some parts of the hotel will be better than others.

That said, I think the room (Junior Suite) we were in had already had a bit of a make-over (carpet was fairly new, evidence of cracks having been painted over, etc), and one can only assume that the budget for the refurbishment is not extensive!

The room was adequate but nothing special. We were a family of four and the hotel staff were helpful in organising a third bed for the room to save the kids from having to share the quite small sofa bed. It should be noted that the room was plenty large enough to accommodate the extra bed, still with plenty of 'living' space to circulate around. The main negative is that it was all just a bit ordinary, and didn't deliver on the mental image that the word 'suite' conjures up.

The heavily emphasised marble bathroom is, in all honesty, also just ordinary, and the advertised desk and ergonomic chair were conspicuous by their absence - perhaps they were removed to make room the third bed!. The TV (and associated limited choice of channels) was relatively poor by modern digital standards and, in our case, the view from the one small window in our room was out onto a flat roof that was littered with rubbish.

So, like the title of this review suggests, nothing special, but don't get we wrong, it wasn't bad either.

On a more positive note, the reception/bar/lounge areas were nice and the breakfast was very good. All of the staff that we encountered were excellent and went out of their way to entertain our kids - nice touches included helium balloons for them from the bar staff, and a 'special' hot chocolate drink from the waiting staff to accompany their breakfast, which they absolutely loved.

All in all, would certainly stay again if visiting the Croydon area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear One Tone

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor and for your understanding and patience during our ongoing refurbishment program. We are working our way through the hotel and as you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

It means a great deal to us here to understand what our guests feel about their experiences with us. Your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments to be addressed.

Thank you once again for your time and custom and we look forward to welcoming you to the Hilton Croydon in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

We first stayed at the Hilton Croydon in March and had a dreadful time - asked for a quiet room and were placed on the first floor over the Function Suite when they had a Rock and Roll convention taking place!!! No sleep at all until about 3.30am. When we went to breakfast almost everything had run out and was ages being replenished. We complained to the Duty Manager and were offered a free return stay for two nights.
We stayed again in July for our two complimentary nights and again asked for a quiet room. This time we were placed on the third floor overlooking the car park. There was a wedding reception taking place and the guests thought it ok to shout, at each other in the car park, to hoot their car horns and the hotel staff obviously thought that this was acceptable behaviour as well, as nothing was done to prevent it.
Our room had a very noisy air conditioning unit which rendered it un-usable and the window could not be opened due to constant noise from a huge compressor of some sort located in the car park. Once again very little sleep.
Breakfast was just about ok but nothing like the 'Famous Hilton Breakfast ' that they advertise and you used to get in the past. The service, however, was appalling. Lack of attention in the Dining area - forgotten requests for coffee and juice - nowhere near enough staff and no supervision of those that were there. We witnessed tables being set up for Lunch/Dinner without being wiped or cleaned, cutlery being handled by the blade/prong/spoon areas, glasses being handled with fingers in the glass etc. etc. etc.
We did not bother to complain again as we really could not wait to get out of the place and go home - they obviously cannot improve what is clearly a poor hotel with under-trained staff and very poor infrastructure. We did fill in their online questionaire when we got home - in much the same vein as the views expressed here - but I imagine that this fell on deaf ears as we heard nothing further from them.
We have stayed in most of the Hilton Hotels in this country at one time or another and this one rates very, very near the bottom. Sorry Croydon Hilton - you need to get your act together before a Hotel inspector finds you out.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Aichitex

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor after your stay at the Hilton Croydon. Following our telephone conversation today, I would like to apologize for the oversight. As you can see from other reviews on Trip Advisor we always respond to all reviews whether positive or negative because we value feedback from our guests. I am glad that we were able to agree a satisfactory resolution.
Thank you once more for your observations and feedback as this allows us to focus on where further training and improvements are needed

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Very disappointed with our stay at the Hilton Croydon. We booked a Junior suite, which turned out to be just a very large square and characterless room. It was like sleeping in a warehouse!! Bed was large and moderately comfortable BUT the bathroom was awful!!! I had to call housekeeping as soon as we arrived to come and clean the shower door, which was black with dirt and mould. They did their best but it obviously hadn't been cleaned properly for a long time. I later noticed that the bath was also dirty and the underneath of the sink mixer tap was caked in filth and soap scum. I did complain but the hotel was full and they couldn't move us. In the end, I went and bought some bleach spray and anti-bac wipes and scrubbed the bathroom myself!!!

As for the room itself, there was no desk (or 'ergonomic' chair as advertised on the website), no wi-fi (also promised on website) and the sofa and TV were situated on the same wall, making it impossible to watch one from the other! The lighting was very poor and the view from the one small window was out onto a flat roof covered in broken glass and discarded bottles and cans.

On the plus side, the public areas were quite nice and the breakfast, as usual at Hilton hotels, was very good. The staff were very polite and helpful and did their best to deal with out complaints. The duty manager gave us a complimentary meal in the restaurant, which was excellent. However, there is no excuse for such poor levels of cleanliness and the website should not advertise features that are not available. Will not stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Revelstone
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Dear Revelstone,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. I am glad that you found our staff very helpful and polite and found meals in our Larder Restaurant to be excellent.

May I take this opportunity to apologise for the comments you mentioned regarding the bathroom and the junior suite, our Head Housekeeper has addressed those issues and wishes to be associated with my apologies.

As for the position of furniture in the suite, this is being reviewed and addressed accordingly

Thank you once again for your valued comments. I do hope that despite this issues, you would give us the opportunity to welcome you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future, where we will endeavour to provide the Hilton service and standards that we are proud to be associated with.

yours sincerely,

Reviewed 10 August 2011

As a HHonors member, I usually try to stay with them wherever possible. So on my last business trip, I tried a hotel that was not too far from the office, and hoped it would be a good deal. It was actually fairly cost-neutral to the surrounding hotels such as the Holiday Inn Express, and the Clarion Inn option that was there - but it was not up to parr with the Hilton family in my estimation. The walls and doors of the hallways and rooms were all badly marred, and the ceiling was even peeling and had plaster falling in places. If you go to hotels because they're pretty, this isn't the right one. But if you just like the Hilton family for the perks, and can stand a room that definitely needs some updating, it won't be bad.
Just some notes for others, there was no internet in the rooms when I staid there, it was only available in the lobby, common area, and business center (which they did have). It was actually very clean in spite of it's disrepair. It had a work out room, but it was down the service elevator. It's not really very close to any shops, but it's walking distance to the Croydon airport. The restaurant was actuallly quite good, but the staff was not particularly friendly. Couple of the front desk staff were immensely helpful though.
Overall not a bad choice for the price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JenJenMcMostard

Dear JenJenMcMostard,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. I am glad that you found our Hotel clean and the restaurant to your satisfaction.

Regarding your comments about internet provision at Hilton Croydon we do have internet in the rooms but it has been inconsistent and problematic for some time, and for this I apologise. The facility and service by the internet provider contracted to Hilton in the UK has been a long dispute, which has resulted in a change of provider nationwide, which I am glad to report should make our hotel completely wireless by early September 2011.

Refurbishment plans are ongoing as two floors have been completed and we are working our way through the hotel dealing with the issues that require attention. As I am sure you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

Thank you once again for your valued comments. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

We had stayed at this hotel a few years back, and having read other reviews on here assumed that it must have gone downhill. We booked it anyway and we had no reason to complain. We were staying with our 18 month old and they provided a cot. The room was ready on time and was clean and of a good standard, as was the bathroom. Nothing particularly outstanding, but as good as some 5* hotels I have stayed in. If I was going to be critical, I'd complain that where they locate the cofee tray is nowhere near a plug point, so you have to move it to boil the kettle, but that is a very minor issue. I'd stay here again if I had to over-night in Croydon again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Keef74
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Dear Keef74,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon and for your valued feedback, which is very much appreciated.

All guests’ comments are shared with the team and it is always good when we have positive feedback to share with them.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.