“Couldn't even book a family room as my daughter was over 12!!!!”

Hilton London Croydon
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Very disappointed. Just tried to book a family room for 2 nights in June as my daughter has a big dance comp. I was told I couldn't book a family room as my daughter was over 12! Instead I would have to book 2 separate rooms. Very disappointed so off to premier inn after all!!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Pds1
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear Pds 1,

Thank you for taking the time to give your comments on Trip Advisor. As a hotel we really value receiving both positive and negative feedback which allows us to focus on where further improvements and training may be needed.

I am not sure whom you spoke with or which Reservations office but at Hilton Croydon children under 18 can share a room with parents I am truly sorry that you where given the wrong information and would appreciate it if you could get in touch with us directly on 020 680 3000.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your comments.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 11 May 2012

This hotel has some great points:
- Location was fantastic - right off the main road and near a great Chinese supermarket (Wing Yip)
- lots of complimentary parking space
- Good variety for breakfast (shame about the staff manners though - see last paragraph)
- comfortable lobby and bar area (again shame about the staff manners)
- Vending machine provided in lobby for necessities and first-aid medication.
- bedroom slippers provided
- nice fluffy robes
- very comfortable big beds with warm duvets and nice pillows
- nice bath products
- strong pressure in shower

Some not so great ones:
- TV system was very outdated (but good range of channels provided)
- Temperature control in room didn't work - it's either air-con on or off.
- Towels and robes missing from room (but reception was willing to rectify this, even late at night).
- Whole hotel is quite prone to draughts, so don't be surprised if you hear odd noises in the night.
- Rooms are quite old and felt basic, but were clean and comfortable none-the-less.
- Underground parking doesn't have a sheltered walkway to the hotel - don't forget to bring your umbrella, this is England after all.

The main really bad point:
- Service was really appalling at this hotel.
The staff at reception was reasonable in the afternoon, but the staff who replaced them for the evening shift had no sense of how to make people feel welcome at this hotel, and the same with the staff at breakfast the next morning. They were curt and impersonable.
I would expect that kind of service from a budget hotel, but this is the Hilton, and it really affected how I felt about my stay at this otherwise more than decent hotel. What a shame.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DLPA
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear DLPA,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. I am sorry that you feel that service was appalling at our hotel as we usually do not get complaints about our staff and service.

Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused. As for your comments regarding the rooms, as already mentioned to you in a letter sent to you after your stay, we have an ongoing refurbishment program, and we are working our way through the hotel and as you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Have stayed at this quite a few times, normally when visiting Chessington Zoo or before going to the South Coast - it’s not my favourite Hilton hotel but you can pick up some quite cheap rates at the weekends. The restaurant has greatly improved after a refit and is very modern, breakfast is good. We were very impressed on the last stay when we were upgraded from room with rollway to two interconnecting rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear Bigstays,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from guests.

Thank you for your kind comments about our Restaurant and the food, I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hi there, for those looking to stay at this hotel, I would say "there are far worse". In this area (Croydon, south London) there are several very close proximitty hotels not to name them, and I have stayed at all of them so I know what I am saying. Firstly because it is a Hilton does not mean its expensive, I have found there rates to be exceptionally competitive, also they have a an excellent reward scheme in the name of HH (honours) anyway the hotel is big, and each room is a very nice size, breakfasts are always a must on a business trip as it sets you up for the day, & this hotels breakfast is gooooood, staff a very welcoming and always on hand to help. Room cleanliness is spot on and the check in staff a very professional and courteous.
The negatives, rooms are slightly dated, showers are too low for me personally (5'11) you have to crouch a bit, however the bathrooms are a good size. TV's are hit and miss with quality, some rooms have an excellent quality others very grainy, which is weird considering they are all the same make? Room service is good, however £4 cover charge is steep. All in all I always stay there as the other hotels in the area are not up to the same standard for the price.

Room Tip: Do not expect good views, the area is very built up and no where is good to look at :0), be careful...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Weldons_Take
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear RobWeldon
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Although you feel that our rooms are slightly dated, I can assure you that our foremost concern is that you are comfortable and enjoy your stay with us. Thank you also for your understanding and patience during our ongoing refurbishment program. We are working our way through the hotel and as you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

Your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments to be addressed.
Thank you once again for your time and custom and we look forward to welcoming you to the Hilton Croydon in the near future.

general Manager

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed here last year and wished we'd never set foot in the place. We were treating my daughter's boyfriend to his first experience in a starred hotel and thought we would have a pleasant weekend ahead of us, the accomodation being a big part of the treat.
Alarm bells started to ring as we were 'welcomed' by an unenthusiastic, miserable looking female on Reception. Things didn't improve as we stepped into our rooms. Apart from having wardrobe doors there was absolutely no difference between those rooms and the ones in Premier Inns. Basic is the only way I can describe them. The wallpaper was scuffed in places, with dirty marks in others. Very disappointing.
We dressed up for our evening meal but, as soon as we entered the restaurant, we realised we shouldn't have bothered. People were sitting around in track suit bottoms and the like and the whole place had the air of eating in a canteen or cafe, which is fine if that is what you had intended to do! We felt totally out of place and the standard of the food didn't make matters any better either. The steaks were tough and nothing appeared freshly cooked to order. The breakfast the next morning was OK but I've had much better in Premier Inns. Needless to say, the following evening we ate out.
The whole hotel exuded the air of being unloved, where the staff we encountered were just doing a job of work and weren't particularly interested how well things were running. If you want a special place to stay, then avoid at all costs and look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Relaxed33
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Relaxed33,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your visit to Hilton Croydon in May 2011.

Since your stay in 2011 and as you can see from a lot of the comments on this website, refurbishment plans have been ongoing at the Hotel, two floors have been completed and we are working our way through the hotel dealing with the issues that require attention. As I am sure you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

Thank you once again for your valued comments. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Very nice friendly hotel with an excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear JPDH2,

I was glad to read that you found our staff nice and friendly and enjoyed Breakfast in our Larder Restaurant. Our aim is to have all our guest leave us having had a good experience and wanting to return.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your feedback which helps us continue to grow and improve our business, therefore improving our customer service standards. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Croydon in the near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

No Complaint whatsoever. Travelled by Car. Good breakfast. Quiet location. Nice lounge too. Perfect for £54.00

• Stayed: April 2012
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Ranjanisreal,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Hilton Croydon. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from guests.

I was glad to read that you generally enjoyed your stay and felt that you had good value for money. All our comments are shared with the team and it is always good when we have positive feedback to share with them.

Kind Regards