“Location good, free parking!”

Hilton London Croydon
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Location good, free parking!”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stay at the Hilton on Purley Way quite regularly, the last time being at the end of April. I find the service to be quite consistently good, quite attentive and never any problems or delays when checking in/out.

Yes, the rooms are quite tired and could do with a major overhaul (especially the bathrooms) but the rooms are spacious and well equipped. Beds are comfortable, housekeeping never intrusive or too noisy. The only real downside is that the rooms can get very very stuffy during the summer months and the air conditioning does not really do anything to combat that except being exceptionally noisy.

The best aspect about the Hilton is the free car parking of which there is ample availability. The location may not be the best for tourists wanting to explore the capital but for people like me who attend an annual event in the local area it is the perfect option as it is not far from the M25 (about a twenty minute drive) and Central Croydon is quite easily accessible by bus and there are quick links to London Bridge and Victoria through East Croydon station.

Never tried the restaurant in the hotel but it looks quite nice (recently refurbished and upgraded it seems). There are several food options nearby, Pizza Hut and McDonald's in the Colonnades nearby and a pub, The Gypsy Moth. TGI Friday's opposite that and a restaurant in the Aerodrome Hotel.

Room Tip: Best to be facing away from the main road as all the rooms can get very stuffy and it's best to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Papillon73
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Papillion73

I was glad to read that you generally enjoyed your stay, found the hotel to be in a convenient area with close proximity to where you needed to be to attend your event and that you found it quite accessible for different areas of London. You also made mention of our free parking which has always being our way of relieving the stress of finding and having to pay for parking in this area. Our aim is to ensure that all our guests leave having had a great experience and wanting to return to us.

As for your comments about an overhaul, we have started refurbishment plans which are ongoing as two floors have been completed and we are working our way through the hotel dealing with the issues that require attention. As I am sure you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Nicolas Craninx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Polish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The receptionist on check-in did not give a good first impression, she handed over the key card and said "the room numbers on the card", no directions, no breakfast info, nothing!
The room was pleasant although the air-con had been left on so it was cold. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spotless and clean.
Breakfast was OK, standard buffet breakfast fare. There is plenty of free parking. Overall we would stay here again as it's a reasonably priced hotel, convieniently placed for London and several theme parks, I would probably have gone for four stars but for the surly receptionist!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Michamouse
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Ozzyowl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. May I offer my sincere apologies for your experience with the receptionist. Please rest assured that I have raised this concern with the Reception Team and steps are being taken to avoid a reoccurrence of these sorts of issues.

It is our aim here to have all our guests leaving having had a great experience and wanting to return to us. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. As a hotel we really value receiving both positive and negative feedback allowing us to focus on where further improvements and training are needed. I am glad that you found our Hotel to be reasonably priced and conveniently place for London.

Thank you once again for your assistance and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Croydon in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed in the Croyden Hilton Waddon Way, I found the staff to be exceptionately professional, polite and very helpful. The room was comfortable and clean good to sleep in.

I would definately return back to the hotel in the future as my stay was very pleasant. The breakfast was good, alot of variety which I like.

I would like to comment on a particular staff member (Omar) who made my stay pleasant. He was very polite and helpful.

I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Y B
Dear YB,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Hilton Croydon. Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated as it shows us where we are doing great and also where we may need some improvement.

We keeping trying our best to make our guests feel welcome, comfortable and cared for and I am glad we did that for you. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast in our Larder Restaurant and our staff, I will be sharing these feedbacks with all our team members

Thank you once again for your valued comments. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Portadown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This is a poor 4* Hilton. Stayed for 2 nights and found the rooms to be hugely disappointing. We were in a Junior Suite. The room was large and spacious but dark, dreary and the carpet was very grubby. The shower and bathroom did not smell fresh.The shower is a struggle for anyone over 5ft!! We could not access our safe and waited 25 minutes for someone to come to help. In fact it seemed that someone had been smoking in this room. We were told at check-in that we had been given a breakfast upgrade - rather strange since we had pre-paid for B&B!
The hotel food was poor. Lunch was cold. The hot food at breakfast was luke warm and very greasy. We waited 15 minutes on poached eggs served by a rather grumpy waiter and an even less helpful chef.
This is such a shame as the location is great! We will certainly not return. This is a far cry from other 4* Hiltons which we visit on a very regular basis. There is a real need to up the game here even as far as the staffing is concerned.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank tyrella826
Dear Tyrella,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to Hilton Croydon. I am sorry that you claim that the food in our Larder Restaurant was poor. We have had very good reports about the breakfast and meals in general served in our Restaurant.

Regarding your comments about the room, refurbishment plans are ongoing as two floors have been completed and we are working our way through the hotel dealing with the issues that require attention. As I am sure you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

Thank you once again for your valued comments and for your custom.
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 23 May 2012

stayed here for one night. arrived around 9pm. parking was decent. checked in - had requested a quiet room, that’s what i got. a standard hilton room, room was nice and clean as was the bathroom. if you are taller than 5 foot 5 you will hate the shower. being 6 foot 2 i had to angle myself to get near the shower rubbish design the shower head should be much higher.

in the morning the breakfast (paid £10 when i reserved the room) was nice. a friendly guy there will make you a fried/omelette/poached egg and the usual buffet items. overall the food was nice. wish i could say good things about the waitresses - when i walked into the restaurant no one was there to greet- fine. so got my food. went to sit down - the girl setting up tables asked me if i was staying there...(as in who let me in..) then seated me in a dark corner never asked me if i wanted tea/coffee. had to wait 15 mins till someone walked by to get coffee (not a good move in the AM grrrrr) AFTER i had eaten my breakfast, mr. happy waiter comes round to ask if wanted coffee, well no i am leaving without tipping you, clown.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet location..
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AC_manchester
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear AC_manchester,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our rooms and bathroom.

May I offer my sincere apologies for your experience with the waitress. I do apologise that there was no one available to show you to your seat, but the waitress does have to ask if you were staying in as we do have guests who come into the hotel just for breakfast. Please rest assured that I have raised the concerns you mentioned with the Food and Beverage Manager and steps are being taken to avoid a reoccurrence of these sorts of issues.

It is our aim here to have all our guests leaving having had a great experience and wanting to return to us. As a hotel we really value receiving both positive and negative feedback allowing us to focus on where further improvements and training are needed.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2012. Booked it late and got a very good deal. Excellent rooms and the staff were very helpful and the breakfast is a feast. Bar prices are what you should expect from a 4 star hotel but £9 for a glass of Rioja was still a shock!
If you aren't driving (and who would want to in London?) it's very easy to get to East Croydon rail station which is about 15 mins away. Choose a taxi or get to 119 bus from the stop around the corner on Purley Way and then another 15 min rail journey takes you to London Victoria where you can access the Underground system. We were over for the Heineken Cup Final and were able to get to Twickenham in about 40 minutes via Clapham Junction. Get the £8.50 day ticket and that will cover all the bus, train and tube travel to allow you to explore London.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cuairteoirdoire
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Cuairteoirdoire

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Hilton Croydon. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from guests.

I was glad to read that you generally enjoyed your stay and found it to be a good base from which to explore London. All our comments are shared with the team and it is always good when we have positive feedback to share with them.

sleaford
Reviewed 16 May 2012

A great place to stay and reasonably priced.

The hotel is a large modern building. The entrance, reception and bar area were light and airy and the rooms matched this........................large, well equipped, clean, smart and comfortable.
Breakfast was quite superb with a huge choice of foods and drinks. One of the best that we have eaten, and at only £80 for B and B in a smart modern hotel just outside London, we thought that it was terric value.
A special mention for the receptionist on our arrival - she was really friendly, helpful, very welcoming and yet at the same time totally efficient.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank thehun01
Dear thehun01,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. I was glad to read that you found our hotel clean, comfortable and good value for money during your stay with us.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide constructive feedback which helps us continue to grow and improve our business, therefore improving our customer service standards. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Croydon in the near future.