“Terrible hotel & poor service”

Hilton London Croydon
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed with friends for a weekend in June & found that the hotel was definitely not up to the usual Hilton standard. The rooms were very hot & the air con was not working properly. The hotel also ran out of clean towels which I think has to be a first !! Towels did eventually arrive early evening & the explanation for the shortfall was that the hotel was fully booked !!?? The reception staff did not seem interested in the guests or any complaints. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the reception area had air con working but the rooms didn't !! Usually I would recommend a Hilton Hotel every time but this hotel is one to avoid.

Stayed: June 2014
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear lanandAli1,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. I am sorry that you felt that our hotel was not up to the usual Hilton standard. Although not recently refurbished, we ensure that our rooms are ultra clean and and in good working order. We do have a number of projects underway to continually improve the condition of all areas.

I am sorry about the issue with the towels, which took a little while but were finally resolved.
Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed one night on 22 June. When we checked into the hotel room, there was a table fan and the room was stuffy. I thought maybe they just switched on the air condition and it was a hot day so they gave a fan to cool down the room faster. I went out and came back three hours later and the room was still stuffy with no air conditioned. When I complained , the hotel manager told me they can't change my room because they were fully booked. They will try but if no room they will refund my money! At 8pm they expect me to go to town and look for another hotel to stay! Is that an acceptable solution? If I had not kicked up such a big fuss and insisted they change my room I seriously do not think they will! Suddenly it dawned to me that the the hotel management might were aware of the faulty air cond because they already placed a table fan in the room when I checked in!
The only pleasant encounter I had was the receptionist who did the check in and one waitress in their restaurant .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Npgl,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at Hilton Croydon. I was sorry to read of the issue you expereinced with the air conditioning system. Unfortunately on that day, we did have some issues with the air conditioning system which was resolved the next day. Our team members should have made you aware of the issues at check in.

I have discussed your comments with the department concerned and can assure you that lessons will be learnt from this to ensure there are no reoccurances in the future.
Thanks once again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Okay - first off, this hotel is very nice and is located conveniently off the Purley Way, we were going to a family Birthday in Banstead and this hotel offered the best value for money out of the others available.

The hotel is nicely laid out, the restaurant served a fantastic breakfast, which boasted a very wide selection of both continental and cooked breakfast options. Food was delicious and the perfect solution after a late night celebrating.

The room was also comfortable, the bed was large, but you could feel every spring in the mattress. My fiancee occasionally suffers from back problems, after spending a single night on that mattress, he was left feeling very uncomfortable the following day.

It was such a shame because the hotel was really lovely apart from that on thing. Would we stay again? Not unless they guarantee that the mattress has been replaced.

We stayed in the DoubleTree Hilton in Bristol the following week and wow, what a difference - the bed was really comfortable. I think we just had a bit of bad luck on this one!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear soton-mike80,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our Hotel after your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found us to be good value for money, enjoyed a fantastic breakfast with our wide selection of hot and cold foods.
I am sorry that you expereinced an issue with the mattrass in your allocated room and have discussed this with our housekeeping department so that further checks on mattrasses can be carried out.
Thanks once again and hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This needs updating and is very worn.I stayed here this previous weekend and expected alot more. The beds make alot of noise and the bathroom does not even have ventiliation its very stuffy and smells. Do not be lured in due to the brand name. Worse of all wifi you have to pay for. Iv stayed in mountains where the wifi is free so being in a city this was shocking. Avoid is all I can say.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank mp121

Dear mp121,
Thanks for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. As for the Wifi, we do offer complimentary Wifi in our business centre and public areas including the lounge and bar areas.
Thanks again for your time.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Poor rating is based on breakfast & dinner being average, otherwise the score would have been 1*. We booked a junior suite which was in great need of attention - rotting bathroom door, dirty bathroom floor grouting, broken, dirty shower rim, furniture in need of restoration. A wooden bed from the ark that creaked so much we got no sleep for 2 nights. Pillows were badly stained when single cover was removed. Non of these faults were caused by the cleaning staff, but management need to sort this hotel out. It is a disgrace to the Hilton name ! So glad to get home.

Room Tip: Don't bother booking till they upgrade this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear sosborneknight,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our Hotel. i am sorry that you felt that our hotel was well below par. Our rooms may not be newly refurbished but we ensure that they are ultra clean and comfortable for our guests.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I came on my birthday 29/06 hoping I would receive a great room as I had requested a clean room would be nice as it was my birthday. However walking in to room 208 there was a red wine stain very huge in front of the bed then another stain outside the bathroom. The furniture was outdated with many scratches the extra bed set up also was very worn. The bed was far too squeaky. I think this hotel is a disgrace the toilet was not even flushing well. The TV buttons I had to hit very hard in order to change the channel. This was the first time I stayed in a hilton hotel and I am extremely disappointed given I have experienced a range of hotels this by far is the worse. However the breakfast was delicious and the staff seemed pleasant especially the breakfast staff. I had ignored the reviews and booked this hotel but I would advise people to avoid if possible.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank priya b

Dear Priya b,
Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel during your recent stay. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our excellent breakfast and found our staff to to be pleasant. Our hotel is not newly refurbished but we ensure that it is ultra clean. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and hope that you will give the brand an opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Myself and family members were over for a family communion. Having travelled a lot and stayed in Hilton chains I made the decision this was a safe bet.....how wrong I was. Although rooms were relatively clean, they are in serious need of redecoration. When we checked in to one room the TV wasn't working however we finally managed to fix it ourselves. We went to the bar at 10.30pm to try to order food and were told it wouldn't be a problem, we waited, and waited.....and waited. Eventually at 11.15pm we managed to get someone to serve us only to be informed that all food stopped at 11pm and we could only order sandwiches. we were ok with this and placed an order for 5 simple sandwiches which arrived at 1:45am (keep in mind we also had kids with us). We complained on numerous occasions and the night manager was extremely ignorant and made us feel like we were an inconvenience. Eventually our food arrived and it was awful. It was agreed we wouldn't have to pay for this and eventually after a lot of complaining we were offered breakfast for the following morning. The breakfast spread was good and no issues there (probably because it's self service). The bar prices are a rip off even for soft drinks. For the money we paid for this hotel it was extremely disappointing. I would not stay here again, there are a number of good hotels around which unfortunately didn't show up on the search engine we looked at but I would recommend looking at premier inn, Hampton inn, jury's, travelodge etc before even considering here.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Joanne C

Dear Joanne C,
Thank you for leaving your review of our hotel. I am sorry to read that you had to wait a long while for your food and glad that you were given the food and breakfast as complimentary. I have noted your comments and will be discussing these with the relevant departmant to ensure there are no re occurances in the future. As for our drinks, I am sure you will find that we are competitively priced with the competion in the area.
Thanks again.