“Great value hotel”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Dublin, Ireland
“Great value hotel”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I visit Londin for football and stay regularly in Croydon Park, I would highly recommend it for value & customer service and I will be using again. 1 minor inconvenience is the check in time of 3 o clock as I I think 3 hours is a lot of time to get rooms ready. It's not something that'll stop me staying but just a little annoying when you're trying to catch trains into London. Overall a great place to stay and rooms always tidy and staff are very helpful.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank MC_CFC1905
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear MC_CFC1905

Thanks for leaving us a review here. I am glad to see that you have always enjoyed your stay with us.

In order to ensure that rooms are at the highest standards for arriving guest the time is needed to have them turned around.

However, if you arrive before 3pm and we have rooms available we will be more than to check you in. Also if we do not have rooms, then we will store your luggage until you return to the hotel.

Looking forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I attended a show at Excel and looking at the map, I tried this hotel instead of the very expensive, small hotels in Kensington. For half of the price, I enjoyed a nice, large room, a bathroom with tub, breakfast had good selection, worth the price. From the hotel you walk 150 m to the train station, many trains go to London Bridge, so even with delays, there is always an option. Oyster card works on this route, I spend the same time travelling from Kensington (changing subways) as travelling from Croydon. The image of this suburb of London is lower class, immigration offices are based here, but if you go to London, spend the whole day in the city and come out at night, I could`nt care less. There is a bus leaving from Croydon, non stop, to Heathrow airport - which I thought was great!! less than 2 pounds one way - no changing and carrying your luggage!! Fantastic!!

4 Thank satvkn
Dear satvkn

Thanks for leaving us a review here. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Crickhowell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Having had an executive room on the fifth floor when we stayed here back in May we were interested to see what a standard room on the second would be like. Generally, this accommodation compared pretty well with the room being of a very good size, clean and containing a reasonable range of facilities e.g. hair drier, trouser press, bottled water, toiletries etc. The absence of the free Wi-Fi was something we were aware of in advance and one can live without a hotel robe. Indeed, there was a convertible sofa in the room so this would have served for any younger family members.

The composition of a double bed by joining two singles is highlighted in other posts but wasn't a problem for us. The main difference between the rooms was the apparent thickness of the walls, to the extent that I believed that the very noticeable sounds of snoring were coming from my partner whilst in reality they came from the adjacent room! Not a big deal but potentially a problem is the neighbours were "partying" to late or long! Otherwise very little outside or corridor noise was heard; indeed the absence of air-conditioning rooftop sounds (as experienced on the fifth) was commented upon.

As before we were impressed by the speed and availability of the lifts - almost always had the car to ourselves. Breakfasts were actually even better than last time with fluffy scrambled eggs and fresh pancakes being particular favorites. The fruit juice situation was also better i.e. not served watered down as on previous visit. Not sure about rationale behind having tea and coffee self-service stations at the weekend; whilst some elderly or disabled might be able to manage plates of food taken from the buffet, they may be more wary about carrying hot liquids. Possibly waiter service might be available for less able guests, I don't know.

As mentioned previously, there do not seem to be any written procedures regarding use of underground car park; I suspect guests might fall foul of rules regarding getting tickets validated each day and be puzzled regarding multiple entries within same 24 hours. £5 p.d. is not too bad I guess, but drivers returning late in the evening might be sweating as to whether a space would be available. Hopefully the hotel is no longer attempting to increase revenue by advertising car park as being available to shoppers or non-resident business people for that policy could well alienate guests who can't park their vehicles through lack of space.

Overall, our favoured hotel in the area (provided a good price is found online) but can't make 5 stars due to thin adjacent room walls and parking uncertainties.

Room Tip: Upgrades can be obtained though we don't know the Magic Words!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear borderpath

Thanks for leaving us a review here. Its very pleasing to see that you returned to us and was not disappointed in our product and services.

I can guarantee that you will never find a tea station in our restaurant again, neither week day nor weekend, our staff will be more than happy to serve you at your table.

Generally there is no issue with the Car Park becoming full for residences to park, however on the rare ocsassions when its full, we are always happy to suggest alternative parking as there is a NCP car park just 2 minutes walk away from the hotel.

We look forward to hosting you in the near future.

Bristol
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We've stayed here every year for the last 9 years with one exception and having stayed away once at another hotel lived to regret it. There's little to find wrong about this hotel. My only grumble was poor service at breakfast last year. I don't expect to go and make a cup of tea with a bag in a cup in a 4* hotel breakfast room. I'd expect to be served a pot at the table. I left a complaint and this year it was back to the usual excellent table service.With friendly staff and nice clean rooms with a comfee bed I'm pretty happy. Just a shame about our noisy air conditioning. It was hard to keep our room at a decent temperature peacefully. Otherwise very happy and hope to be back next year.

• Stayed November 2012
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Dear No1catfan

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

Nine years return is amazing, and we do look forward to hosting you for another nine and beyond. Here at The Croydon Park we are all about pleasing our guest, so we try to do all this in our power to ensure that you are pleased with our service and product.

The next time you are coming back do let me know, it would be a pleasure to meet with you.

Doddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here on their point reward scheme, our room was lovely, had a nice bathroom too. We did have the buffet dinner on both nights, with a glass of sparking wine and coffee to follow, there was so much choice, loved all the seafood they had for starters. Great price for a lovely dinner. Breakfast in the morning is very plentiful, so much choice to keep you going.
The hotel is close to the station and close distance to the shopping centres too. This was a nice hotel just to have a few days away.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear razinsun85

Thanks for leaving us a review here. I am very pleased to see that you nad your partner enjoyed your stay with us. The restaurant manager and chefs wil be happy to know that you enjoyed the buffet both for dinner and breakfast.

We do hope to get the chance to host you in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Stayed here on business - one of a few recommended in Croydon. Hit and miss as to whether reception staff are friendly or not, but OK. Noted some Irish travellers were milling around when I checked in, some colourful and outrageous outfits as I had seen on TV programmes, but thought nothing of it...

The hotel was clearly hosting a gypsy wedding - as I returned to the reception later in the evening, it was bedlam, and extremely intimidating. There were hundreds of (mostly young) gypsies loitering all around the place - some in the street who I watched smash a window, and around 4 lads surrounded an elderly gentleman walking past. There was constant screaming, cars literally blocking the street just parked wherever there was room. In reception there was an alarm going off, gypsies smoking, and hardly any staff around.

Swiftly got in the lift to get to my room - as I came out of the lift I was greeted by 3 men having a serious fight, with several females around screaming & shouting. I avoided at all costs, went back downstairs. Left it 15 minutes, back up to my floor - no people to be seen, but the main corridor lights had been ripped from the wall, and were littered around the floor. At around 12.30 am, I could see that Police riot vans arrived - no idea why it took this long - can only assume the hotel didn't want their involvement? I went to bed (door bolted) with the sounds of girls screaming and men fighting from outside...not pleasant.

I checked out at 5.45am - the lights on the corridor had been collected up and dumped by the lifts behind the litter bin. Reception was fairly straight by this time, and all the cars / gypsies had gone. I asked for a full refund, and was asked "why?". I said I really didn't think it necessary to explain, and just got an "oh". Was then told he couldn't authorise refunds - left my number for the manager to call me later - they did, and left a voicemail. Called them back twice - first time on hold for 15 minutes to be told they were "busy". Have since called again to be told I will get a call tomorrow.

Totally amazed that the hotel agreed to host the wedding in the first place - and then did so little to keep the peace on the evening - the risks are very well known. Also amazed that they are not pulling out all the stops to apologise to those patrons who witnessed what I did, during what should have been a routine stay-over, which I had to pay £85 to endure.

Put simply, if you want to avoid the risk of going through the above, i wouldn't stay here...there are other reasonable hotels in the area where you won't have to.

10 Thank J C
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Dear JC

Firstly I would like to apologise for the fact that you encountered some amount of inconvenience on your last visit with us.

When we take bookings here, whether it be for a bedroom or an event, we do so in good faith that the person or persons who will be coming will behave in accordance with the rules and regulations of our hotel. It is very hard to predict the nature of the persons that will be coming.

In my conversation with you, in which I profusely apologised for what you encountered, I explained that this was by no means a regular occurrence. This was not your first visit with us and therefore you would have known that this was not the norm.

When the magnitude of the event was realised we did take precautionary measures. Excess managers and staff were on site until the completion of the event and yes the police was called, so as to avoid any incidents.

I would like to make it clear that there were no reported incidents of anyone being attacked, or harmed, neither on the street nor on hotel property and certainly

Whatever damaged was caused to the hotel is being handled as an issue for the hotel, but most importantly nothing happened to our guest.

You have made a great assumption in saying that no apologies were given to guests. You were called immediately and so were any other guest that voiced a complaint. I can also confirm that we did checks while guests were checking out the following morning and we had no reported.

Once again please accept my apologies for the inconveniences encountered.

Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Returned from a recent 3 night stay at this hotel.Bedrooms O.K. but pillows very hard and duvets not big enough! Leisure suite excellent. Breakfast fairly mediocre with continuous christmas music-in November? Fried eggs not fried enough(Raw on top)
Hot food not hot.Toaster just a 4 slice!Severe lack of sleep on the third night owing to a Traveller Wedding in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room
Dear binroaming

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

I am very saddened to see that you were not completely satisfied or happy with your recent visit.

Concerning breakfast, not everyone likes their eggs done in the same manner, so its not that the eggs were raw, but you might have a different manner in which you like your eggs, and it would have been fine for you to ask for your eggs to be done in the manner in which you like them.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the fact that you were disturbed on your last night owing to a function that was held in house.

I would really like to invite you back to the Croydon park Hotel, so you can fully enjoy the hospitality that we so pride ourselve in giving.

Please email me on jbailey@croydonparkhotel.com when you next want to come and I will be more than happy to work something out with you.

I hope you will give us a chance to host you again in the near future.