“Afternoon tea could be better”
Review of Croydon Park Hotel

Croydon Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea could be better”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Fridge cold sandwiches and scones don't make for a great afternoon tea. Nor does being offered hot water and fruit tea bags. Fortunately the latter were replaced on request with a pot of "proper" tea. Was I wrong to expect it to be better for £12.50 each? I don't know. But I won't be going back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Dear JILLOF

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

I am really sorry to see that you did not enjoy your experience of afternoon tea with us. I would like to invite you and a friend to come back and have afternoon tea on us. We would like the opportunity to make it right and meet and perhaps exceed your expectation at no additional cost to you.

Its my hope that you will take up our offer. When you are ready to do so, please contact myself or Oscars Restaurant, on oscars@croydonparkhotel.com, stating that you were given this offer and the arrangements will be made for you.

Hoping to welcome you back in the near future.

Thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
GLASGOW
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night while in the area on business. First time staying in the area. The hotel is OK. Reception looks lovely and reception staff very friendly. Room was cold and, although clean, was a bit dated and could do with being spruced up! I had a problem accessing the wifi but the staff were very helpful and resolved the issue very quickly. Ordered room service which was quick but not very hot. Noticed for any smokers out there, that they do have little heaters outside in the smoking area which was good. Overall, an OK hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Dear PHILBGlasgow

Thanks for leaving us a review

Thanks for your kind comments.

I am pleased to say that we are in the process of refurbishing roomes (or to use your words sprucing them up) so I am sure you will be pleasantly suprised on your return, which I do hope is in the near future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 February 2013

The Clarion Collection Croydon Park Hotel is a nice hotel in a dodgy area. It is not an especially attractive hotel from the outside but the top floor of the hotel offers a good quality room. The top floor has apparently been recently refurbished and it is well appointed. The layout of the room is good, the availability of an ironing board is helpful. The bed was two singles put together but it was still an easy sleep.

The bathroom is good though the shower head is a little low to duck underneath. The shower curtain is designed so that water won't spray all over the floor. It is simple things like this that make a difference compared to worse hotels. There is adequate cupboard space though no safe. The lighting is good. Setting the air con to the right temperature is a bit of a battle.

The staff are friendly and polite. A particularly chatty cleaner was a friendly bonus.

Wireless works on the top floor though it does require a specific request to get it as it isn't offered without being asked for,

Breakfast is good. The Oscar's Bar is a really pleasant surround. The light jazz is cool and make everything seem nicer. The buffet is varied and generally good. On request hot chocolate can replace tea or coffee. The breakfast is not amazingly well cooked but this is above the basic standard.

One of the downsides of the hotel though is the location. The hotel is right opposite a court so there are a few less salubrious types potentially being around. Also Croydon is a dive. It does have a lot of shops in the main drag but it isn't attractive. A constant low level traffic sound comes through the windows. Still, it is just a couple minutes walk from East Croydon station so is easy to get to.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Malarchy
Dear Malarchy

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

All your comments have been noted.

Thanks for your kinds comments.

Even though we are in close proximity to the court, this has never posed a problem, as clearly the court has its own forecourt, so persons attending the court have no reason to come on to the hotel's property.

Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Arrived to a freezing room - as usual. (have stayed here about 6 times over last ten years & same story every single time) Another room was ringing for a heater as I checked in. Surely a hotel can have its booked rooms pre heated when the outside temperature is 0 degrees or less outside? Room took about 1 hour to heat with very noisy air conditioning unit. Draughty window means noisy heater has to be kept running all night. Couch so uncomfortable as to be barely of any use.TV not working. Usual dispiriting experience. Only stay here on business as convenient walk 2 mins to offices....otherwise would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Owens1962
Dear Owens1962

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

All your comments have been noted and I am very saddened that for 10 years you have had the same problem with us and not brought it to our attention. I would like to meet with you the next time you are here with us, so that when you leave you would have had a different experience.

We do listen to our guest and try to the best of our abilities to make things right, so that when they leave the experience would have been a great one.

Please contact me the next time you are here and we will sit down for a coffee and talk things though.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Around 2006-08 0 I stayed at Croydon Park Hotel pretty much every week. It was, in my opinion better than Jury's Inn and back then there was no other hotel in central Croydon to speak of. There was one other, the name escapes me, but that was beyond dreadful, so not really much of a comparison.

I stayed at CPH again in Nov 2012 and thought that the rooms had been refurbished. Well it seems that some have, and others haven't.

I was in one of the hasn't rooms. Perfectly adequate, but looking a little dated. It felt kinda early 1980s to be honest.

Hotel is very handy for the train into London and the bar is cosy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's been refurbished. I think they're on the higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear zazous66

Thanks for leaving us a review

Thanks for choosing to use us again. I am pleased to tell you that we are in the process of a major refurbishment, so you will be pleasantly suprised the next time that you stay with us.

We do look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Leeds
Reviewed 7 February 2013

A 5 minute walk from Easy Croydon train station I stayed here on and off for 3 weeks to attend conferences in the hotel. In my opinion this venue was excellent value for the price paid (corporate rate of £85 with breakfast included), the staff were very positive and friendly and would pass the time of day or ask how I was if we passed each other. The gym and swimming pool were an excellent bonus and have a good range of cardio and weights equiment with a lovely pool and sauna... I used it from 6.30 when it opened in the morning and there were a handful of other people so it wasnt too busy at all. The quality of the breakfast was acceptable (there was no black pudding :-( ) but the lunch and evening meals were really varied and very tasty. The conferencing facilities were very good and the group that I was with were well looked after. I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel. I can not thank the staff enough for the quality of service I received during my stay...without exception all of the staff worked very hard and were polite and professional at all times... During my time at the hotel I stayed in a selection of rooms all of which were in good condition and the beds were very comfy. Although the hotel is maybe a little dated with the odd crack in the wall or noisy pipes feeding into some of the bathrooms the overall standard was very good and vey cosy. My experience at this hotel made staying away from home on business a pleasure.. infact having stayed there on and off for 3 weeks I actually miss the place :-(

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel face the train station and although it was a minor irritation to me...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JonArnold
Dear JonArnold

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

Wow I am extremely happy to hear that your time spent with us was such an enjoyable one that you are missing us. Its our aim to have all our guest leaving havinhg had a great stay and its wonderful to see that we achieved that in your case.

You dont have to wait until its another business trip to come back, but come on down for pleasure as well. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Your kinds compliments will be passed on to my colleagues.

London
Reviewed 23 January 2013

It's in a good location, car parking was good and was £5 over night.

We used the pool and sauna which were quite good too, don't forgot flip flops as the changing room floor wasn't very clean.

The rooms were comfortable and warm and the shower was nice too. Had Christmas dinner there and the staff were nice and helpful.

The breakfast was over priced but tasty.

• Stayed December 2012
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Foreverpk

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

All in all your stay seemed to have been a pleasant and enjoyable one. Your comment concerning the floor in The Leisure Club will checked and the matter addressed.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.