“Good but under-staff”
Review of Croydon Park Hotel

Croydon Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stay there during mid-June, I've been coming to this hotel for the past 3 years and I noticed they have remodeled the Lobby and rooms on the 4th floor, service has always been good but a little slow in my opinion specially at check in since many times during the week you'll find multiple buses outside bringing guest by groups so the lobby gets really packed. I think the hotel overall wants to do a great job but in my opinion they seemed under-staff. Calling front desk for any special request gets very difficult at times for someone to answer. They changed their guest laundry provider, used it several times (no choice) but they should reconsider finding someone else their quality of dry cleaning leaves a lot to desire. WiFi is gotten worst this time I stayed, they used to give complementary wifi to executive rooms and I believe everyone else had to pay so the signal was usually pretty good but now is free to everyone so that makes extremely slow download 0.88Mbps Upload 1.8Mbps can't even open gmail fast. Breakfast is very good but dinner is OK. My collage got sick from the salad bar. Gym is good well equipped but I think they also sell the membership to outsiders non-guest so this means towels lockers get very controlled, the gym lady takes it very serious about this sign in thing and forget it about trying to ask for additional towel. Location is excellent one my favorites about CPH

Room Tip: corner rooms have better signal for wifi
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Flyby30

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

Thanks for being loyal in coming to us for three years.All you comments have been noted.

You mentioned that your colleague got sick from the salad bar, I am really sorry to hear that. However on any given night we have a lot of persons eating in our Restaurant and we have had no other reported case of anyone getting ill, so its hard to be sure that your colleague's illness was related to him/her eating from the salad bar.

Hope you will be back with us in the near future

Thanks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Been to CPH about four times now. Rooms and bathrooms are large and well appointed, service is great, breakfast and dinner buffets are superb. Hotel is located two blocks from train station for easy in to London Victoria, or twenty min to Gatwick in opposite direction. Four blocks to a large shopping district and theater arts center is nearby.

Room Tip: I have not had a bad room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear ProfBAM

Thanks for leaving us a review here. Wow it's great that you have chosen to stay with us on 4 different occasions. I think I can safely say you like or service and product here at CPH.

We do look forward to hosting you in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed for two nights, because of Wimbledon we can't get hotel in Central London, Croydon takes about one hour from London, good staff at reception, good and free wifi in the bed room, room condition is okay , my problem is disturbing noise from a group American students who stay next to my room , when they talk you can hear what they say, bedroom & bathroom looks tired, anyway breakfast is acceptable for me , friendly staff, and you can walk 3 minutes and find a station called east Croydon, you can find convenience store there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear catwalk1899

Thanks for leaving us a review here. Sorry to hear that you were disturbed by other persons that were also using the hotel. If you ever stay with us again and have any form of disturbance, please bring it to our attention and we will certainly act on it.

Your kind remarks will be passed on to my colleagues. Please do come again.

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We only stayed for one night, and were greeted so well by te reception staff they were very friendly ( reception manager not sure of name) we had a twin room which was spacious and comfortable and very clean.
We are in oscars and even though to us it's done very old fashioned and the food on the buffet was not so great the staff were attentive and tried there best. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a stop over

• Stayed: July 2013
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear luganolp

Thanks for leaving us a review here. All your comments are noted. Hope to see you again real soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We put a two as we didn't see rats and roaches... But given the general cleanliness we wouldn't be surprised...

We didn't inspect the room too closely before going to dinner... But after the state of the dining room it was hard not to notice other people's hair in the bathroom, dust and general grub.

The food on the buffet was tasteless or had a funny taste to it. We had bets with ourselves at how many services the pork had seen... We were both a bit worried about our constitutions for the next day. The waiter/ manager did give us a discount as he 'noticed we hadn't eaten a lot' (translation: we overheard you joking about the quality of the food). To be honest we still felt over charged. Breakfast was better but still not a 4* hotel experience.

I think this is my overall problem. On the face of it the hotel has been high end. It looks a bit tired and poorly kept (mum had a hole in the headboard where her bedside table once was the lamp was loosing its grip on the wall and mould on the shower curtain). The details you expect of 4* just weren't there (hideous plastic flowers, there wasn't a bit of glass without finger marks on it, or a hair dryer with a cable long enough to see into the mirror etc).

On the plus side the staff were really helpful and friendly. Smiling and willing to help at all times. The room smelled fresh when we came in. It is easily accessible to the tube and town.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank saraboom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Let's start with the poor: Check In From 3pm, arrived at 3pm and reception said your rooms are not ready. 3pm is a little later than some hotels offer check in services anyway and to be told that the rooms are still not ready was disappointing.

The Good: Staff, very helpful, Food: Buffet £23 option was an assortment of starters (lots of ocean dishes too), main courses including a carved option (gammon on our evening - which was cooked beautifully) and desserts including help yourself cheese 'n biscuits .... I was very impressed with the buffet option, presentation was wonderful and also salad selection and choice was great ... I would recommend this.

Rooms have A/C with a medium sized TV and general Freeview.

Car Parking is £5 - which is great value as checked in on the Saturday and returned from Wimbledon on the Sunday evening rather late for a fiver...

Overall: I'd happily stay again and have no problems recommending this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Steve1202

Thanks for leaving us a review here. So sorry that your room was not ready at 3pm when you arrived, I can assure you that this was a very rare occasion.

Even though 3pm is our check-in time, if guests arrives and we have rooms ready before 3pm, its absolutely no problem to check them in.

Your kind comments regarding the food and the staff will be passed on and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Was a busy Saturday afternoon and they were in over their heads. Had a Cliff Richard event and a large party. Did not have adequate staff in reception so took 25 minutes to check in and enable the disabled parking. On arrival in room, overall it was clean and well decorated but only equipped with supplies for one instead of the booked two! Most weird! Breakfast was yummy but table cloth was dirty when sat down, as was the cutlery so had to seek replacements. One member of staff barked at us to leave, two minutes we would have been gone anyway but it was the way she said it. Overall an 'ok' experience.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear hEllyB357

Thanks for leaving us a review here. Firstly I would like to apologise for the things that did not go quite so well during your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your experience was only an 'ok' one as we strive for excellence, however, we seemed to have come up short in some areas.

All your comments are noted and will be addressed. Its my hope that you will give us a chance in the near future to show the hospitality that we so pride ourselves in giving.