“Not really 4*!”
Review of Croydon Park Hotel

Croydon Park Hotel
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I am fairly surprised that this is a four star hotel - it seems more like a three star. Maybe if it were, people would expect less!
Overall, it is ok, but our room (320) left a little to be desired: the bed was perfectly comfortable, but it was so near to the wall that one side did not have a bedside table and had to put glass of water, specs, phone etc. on the floor at night, which is not satisfactory at all. Also the person on that side of the bed had to sidle along the wall to get out of bed! Not very 4*! The bathroom, although it looked very nice and modern, had awful plumbing - the taps were stiff and awkward, and impossible to get the temperature right either for a bath or a shower. Also the washbasin was cracked. We did report this at reception when we left - had we been staying more that the two nights we were there, we would have compained at the time but it didn't really seem worth it.
We did not use the restaurant, so can't comment on the food, but we would have used the bar, had it not been for the fact that there is a huge big screen TV all over one wall, and it blared football for the whole evening (admittedly it was Saturday/Sunday and there were big games on - even so..!) And because it is a bit off the beaten track, we don't know of any pubs close by for an alternative! However, the location, (right next to East Croydon Station), is perfect if you need to get to London!
There is an adequate car park, but it is underneath the building and there is no lift. So when we checked in, we had to haul our luggage either up a very narrow and steep staircase or round the slope used by the cars.
On the plus side, the receptionists were pleasant and efficient, we liked the spa (although I think there should be a bit more supervision - a lot of the time there was only one member of staff on duty, who was mostly behind a desk from where he could not see the jacuzzi and half of the pool).
All in all, I would probably come here again, but I think it should either try a bit harder to live up to its rating, or admit it is a 3* and adjust its prices accordingly!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank citybreakfan33
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear citybreakfan33

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

All your points have been noted and will be addressed accordingly.

In the future please feel free to stop at the front of the hotel and unload your vehicle, before you drive into the car park. Our porters will be more than happy to assist you with this and look after your luggage until you come back into the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Croydon Park Hotel

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly I will complement the staff on being very reasonable and accommodating this to me is half the battle when you have one or two issues. The rooms are dated and I was surprised that one room I was given had no thermostatic control on the shower, this is a serious problem (room 527). I scalded myself and it would be very dangerous for a child. I ended up being moved twice so I had 3 rooms in total. This was owing to what can only be described as appalling wifi signals. I started in 401 and could not get a signal at all. I complained and was moved to 527. Intermittent signal and the wifi kept cutting out. I complained again and eventually moved to 428 where the wifi connected and was about 75% on my iPhone. Remember this is a business hotel! Totally unacceptable and needs to be addressed by the hotel as it is a joke not being able to use your laptop in your room for work. Another point is the quality of the iron supplied I know a small point but my first iron blew up and I asked the reception desk for another one. They are cheap and prone to leak and go bang.
Finally and sorry to add another complaint but room 527 has a terrible shower screen to the point where I completely flooded the bathroom and spent 10 minutes on my hands and knees mopping up the floor using the bath mat.
As a bed to travel into London you could do worse but some of the points above are really basic and need urgent attention.
Sorry I also just remembered the decorating of the breakfast lounge. My first morning was accompanied by the smell of emulsion and signs telling me to beware of wet paint. You are joking Croydon Park! Why would you paint the walls just before breakfast?

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dxbreviewer1
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Croydon Park Hotel is the one of the best hotels situated in East Croydon. The hotel staff are cooperative soft spoken and always welcome you by a smile. The entire hotel building is neat, clean and well maintained. Ample entry area, good reception points. The passages leading to the suite are clean and vacuumed daily. The executive suits well organised and clean. The suite contains double bed, sofa, reading table, television set and temperature control and are very comfortable to live in. The Hotel also equips with a H2O leisure club, spa Oscars Brasserie and Whistlers Bar. The morning breakfast treat is excellent providing wide variety of healthy breakfast options. I recommend whenever I visit London Croydon Park hotel would be my proffered option..

Room Tip: Executive Suite rooms on the 1st Floor and 2nd floor are excellent.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear david4you

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

We cant wait to have you back. It always pleases us when our guest leaves us having had a great stay, as that's one of our aims.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just back from a weekend away and stayed here. We had a lovely room, spacious and clean, couldn't fault it and although the view was overlooking buildings etc (it is a town hotel so not surprising really), we'd be happy to stay again. A light lunch in 'Whistlers' and a delicious breakfast the next day in 'Oscars', where we were met with a really good range of cereal's, juices, fruits, pastries and a decent hot buffet for a full English. Yes it is a corporate type hotel, but we found all the staff, efficient yet pleasant. We will be happy to stay there again. Well done Croydon Park!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annie W

Dear AnnieW631

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

I am very pleased to see that all aspect of your stay was great. your kind comments will be passed on to my colleague who will be pleased to hear that they enhanced your stay.

We do hope you make it back to us soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

The public areas are modern and clean. There is a small bar and a large restaurant.
The bedroom was spacious but no view and was dated in decor but clean.
Plenty of towels in the bathroom and toothpaste and brush can be supplied free.
great free unlimited wifi.
hotel is situated within walking distance of the train station.
If planning to eat avoid the bar. The food was awful not only was it wrongly described but was of such poor quality and very greasy. They did offer to change it or compensate with a drink but to be honest it was getting to late to wait another half an hour for what could be the same.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Adrienne G

Dear AdrienneG530

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

I am really sorry to see that your dining experience in our bar was not a great one. Seeing that you were not happy hence they offered to compensate you, its unfortunate that you were not able to take up the offer.

We take great pride in the quality of food that we serve, so your comments will be passed to our Head Chef.

Its my hope that we will host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very clean and efficiently run hotel with everything you could require.
Easy check in with helpful staff.
Lovely appointed room with a bed fit for 3! However I was on my own :-(
All the usual amenities and perfectly placed for ongoing travel either by rail or tube into the city.
I didn't manage to try the pool and leisure suite but it's all there for your enjoyment.
A nice bar area with an ample bar menu. Didn't try the restaurant for dinner but the breakfast was well up to standard and set me up from the day ahead.
I was attending the Fairfield Hall and if this is known to reception on booking a preferential rate is applied. Which was a very nice surprise.
All in all the next time I visit Croydon, this is where I will stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Matthew H
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear 433matthewh

Thanks for leaving us a review here. We are so happy to see that you had a great time with us and certainly do look forward to hosting you in the near future.

Hopefully the next time you are with us, you will get a chance to use the Leisure facilities. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My and mi family we stay in hotel 3 nights 18-21 April 2014 .We just wont to say big THANK YOU to Marijola the breakfast manager for her fantastic service , was extremely busy mornings but shy did fantastic job.Thank you Marijola for the smile and welcome .I think she is one of the best staff in your hotel.We well be back because of very good service .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Karl S
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear karls210

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

Your kind words will be passed on to Mariola who I am sure will be delighted to see that she enhanced your experience with us.

We look forward to hosting you and your family again in the near future.