“Adequate”
Review of Croydon Park Hotel

Croydon Park Hotel
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My family and I booked this hotel on the notion that it was relatively close to a tube or train station; upon arriving from Germany very late on a Friday night to a station that was under construction, I called the hotel to obtain directions from the station as we were directed by the station workers toward the north side exits rather than the south side exits. The front desk staff couldn't provide directions when given the street names on the north end of the station. Needless to say, 4 very weary travelers (one of whom was 79 with a knee injury having great difficulty walking in the first place) were disgruntled to have a half mile trek to the hotel encumbered with luggage. On a more positive note, the A/C kicked butt! Room temp able to get down to a fabulous 61 degrees!!

Room Tip: try to stay in the "A" side rooms - wifi signal barely reaches inside the room door from t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dpawex
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear dpawex

We are literally 3 mins walk from the station, but I can understand your frustration having arrived late and being shown to the wrong side of the station.

Now that you know exactly where we are I am sure on your next visit you will be fine to find us. Hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

There were 3 of us travelling to London for a break away. We were greeted by a friendly face at reception and nothing was too much trouble. We were delighted with our room on the 5th floor. It was spotless and there was the usual tea/coffee facilities and toiletries. every day the cleaner came in and refreshed the coffees/toiletries,bottle of water,made the beds and laid out our pj's.
It was an all you can eat buffet breakfast which was lovely. The pool was small but then its a hotel. There was a Jacuzzi,sauna,gym that was free to use. Only 2minute walk from Croydon station made it easy to get into the city. Would defineately go back again,cannot fault it one bit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank suzy618
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear suzy618

Thanks for leaving us a review here. We are always delighted when our guest leave us having had a great time. We are looking forward to hosting you and your friend in the near future, and I am sure some more of your friends will want to come along with you when you tell them what a great time you had.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Went to this hotel for 3 nights for the very first time.Ideal location for trams to Wimbledon and trains for London.Checking in was fast and got the room requested.Beds very comfortable,bottled water in room every room,air conditioning was a great plus.Shower in room a bit low for tall people but we managed.Ate in one night,did not want the buffet,found the menu very limited for healthy food,staff made me a very nice grilled salmon.We stayed on the 4th floor and found it nice and quiet.All staff very efficient and polite,also helpful when we asked for anything.Carpark £5 a day,very reasonable we thought.Yes as previous reviewers have mentioned there are some very tired looking areas,but that did not stop us from enjoying our stay.We will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors as they are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Everton1984

Dear Everton1984

Thanks for leaving us a review here. We are so happy that you chose to share with the world your experience. Don't wait for Wimbledon to come back and see us.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Sadly I had to cancel 7pm last minute the night of my stay due to unforeseen circumstance.
The hotel called me day after to advise they still will take 100% of charge.
While expected I was a little disappointed they did not offer some sort of discount or at least discount on another stay.

I will use the other hotels next time who have been more flexible.

1  Thank Why-not-go-for-it
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Todayisagoodday

We do have a very flexible cancellation policy, some reservations can be cancelled even on the day up to 2pm depending on how they are made.

On that day in particular we were running full occupancy, so you can understand why we would be unable to wave the charge.

The next time you wish to make a booking please call or email me directly.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

For the second year running Kidcare international had their annual fund raising black tie event here. Although we had all pre ordered our choice of meal many of the tables did not have any vegetables and apparently one of the main dishes was missing.
However it is always good to see when the management exercise their right to reply to reviews.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear ibanda_10

Thanks for leaving us a review here.

I am sorry that your food items were missing. Your comments will certainly be passed to my colleagues in banqueting who was in charge of your function, as we do not take this lightly.

We are looking forward to hosting Kidcare international next year.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I went to this hotel in East Croydon for 4 nights from Thursday to Monday 9th June and after reading previous reviews I was not really impressed but as I had a business seminar and a 3 day course in the hotel I thought this would be the best bet rather than travelling about London.

Check In was fast and got the desired room but I am afraid I just don't understand where it get's it 4 star rating from. Went to many a hotel I would classify this as 1/2 star at bare minimum but aside from that the hotel is rubbish and staff is rude no service at all.

The business seminar was a learning course and the hotel could not even organize a quite room as always course starting late due to hotel problems. Room Service rubbish asked for water wanted £4.00 and then asked @ reception for standard bottle water to be delivered never sent on not 1 occasion but on all 4 nights of stay. USELESS AND ROOM SERVICE NEVER ANSWERED THERE CALLS.

3rd Night wallet stolen from main lounge. Was using laptop and wallet was on the desk and when 5 minutes later looking no wallet. Reported the matter and even told them I have a feeling that the kids running about have stole it. The manager checked CCTV saying my business colleagues have stole the wallet. DISGUSTING WHY WOULD MY BUSINESS COLLEAGUES STEAL WALLETS. 2 hours later wallet found in toilets with CASH, CARDS & VERY PRECIOUS AND SENTIMENTAL THINGS STOLEN,

The stupid manager was more interested in getting the funds for the nights paid rather than finding the wallet CCTV shows nothing. Wallet stolen in an open lounge and dumped inside toilets and they can't tell

OVERALL THE WORST EVER EXPERIENCE IN A HOTEL IN MY LIFE. THOUGHT THIS IS A BUSINESS HOTEL, STAFF IS RUDE WHEN TELLING HER MY WALLET IS LOST AND I NEED IT SHE TELLS MANAGER "TAKE HIM AWAY FROM ME". STUPID, ARROGANT MANAGERS AND NO ACTION TAKEN.

**I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL FOR BUSINESS OR PERSONAL IT'S SHOCKING!

1  Thank Haroon-Ali

Dear Haroon-Ali

Having read your review thoroughly, I would like to say that I am very sorry to see that you would not consider staying with us again.

In your review you questioned how we are given our 4 start rating, I can assure you that we go through a very rigorous process in order to obtain and maintain that rating.

I am sure that the organisers of your seminar would have checked out the hotel and the room that was assigned for the seminar would have been deemed appropriate to accommodate the seminar.

I am sorry that your wallet that was left unattended was stolen in our hotel lobby and I am sure the manager on duty would have done all that was possible to try and recover your wallet, even though upon finding it the items were missing. However, calling him stupid is not by any means acceptable as it really was not a fault of the hotel.

All service issues that you have outlined will be addressed accordingly, as it is of utmost importance to us that all our guest leave us having had a great stay.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Located about 15 mins walk from the town centre, the Croydon Park offers reasonable value for money, but there are some things that really need working on.

Firstly the positives. The rooms are large, the beds comfortable and huge (two singles pushed together) and the wifi free. My room was old fashioned, but that isn't necessarily a negative. And £5 for overnight parking is good value. Everything you would expect from a hotel is there and everything works. So why only 3 stars?

As noted by a previous guest, the rooms don't feel fresh. On the surface, everything is clean, but it has that background smell as if 20+ years of hard use are being covered up by a daily polish. Worse still are the corridors (at least on the first floor). Again as noted by the same reviewer, it smells as if there's been a smoking party in the corridor and that lingering "dirty smell" is clearly evident.

I was however still going to be generous and give the hotel 4 stars until I went for breakfast. At £10, this is cheap for a full English in a hotel, but based on the food, this is still too much. The fried potato's were possibly the worst tasting things I have ever eaten and everything else (eggs, mushrooms, beans) tasted cheap (and tasteless). It makes me wonder why people in the kitchen, who presumably have some sort of catering qualification, produce food of the quality.

So would I stay here again. The answer is probably yes. But I'd try and get a refurbished room and not bother with breakfast. I'm sure I'd then give at least 4 stars.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room.
1  Thank FamilyHolidayTaker
croydonpark, Front Office Manager at Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear FamilyHolidayTaker

Thanks for leaving us a review here. All your points have been noted and will be addressed accordingly. Its our hope that you will come back to us in the near future.