“OK as a bed for the night”

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Booked this as an overnight stay, post Wimbledon. Choose for proximity to Merton park & ride.

Arrived late after long day (checked this would be OK prior to travelling). Checking in was confused. I'm not going in to details here as we spoke to the manager and received an apology for the confusion but I could have done without it, having been up since 3.00 am.

Parking was in the NCP car park up the road but because I hadn't checked before travelling, my husband dropped us off outside with our luggage and then had to drive back round the houses (literally!) to get to the car park, so make sure you check out before you arrive if coming by car!

The rooms and bathrooms are basic but clean and the beds comfortable, however my room was certainly not as glamorous as the ones shown on the website.

Using the spa facilities is not straightforward but they were worth the effort. I had a nice swim and steam the following morning.

Breakfast is in the adjoining cafe and good value for money.

Would be perfect for an inexpensive stay on the edge of London.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear Ann,

Thank you for taking the time and providing us with a feedback.

I do apologise for the confusion at check in, but I’m glad to see, the manage on duty was able to help. Due to the town centre location, the hotel is surrounded by several one way streets, which make it a bit more difficult to park. For future stays, please give us a call and we are happy to assist.

I’m happy to see that you have found the room clean and comfortable and you have managed to take advantage of the health club facilities. It is also good to see that the breakfast in the Coffee Shop was good value for money.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We spent 6 nights in this hotel in June 2013.
Pros: very good bed, very clean room (daily cleaning service), indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, saunas, very close to West Croydon and East Croydon train stations if you're looking to visit London (15 min travel time by train to London Bridge station)
Cons: poor breakfast, no parking, windows don't open all the way, they only tilt, the elevator was out of order, no minibar

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards Lansdowne Street; there's nothing to see on the other side

Dear Sorin,

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review.

I was glad to read that the location of the hotel was ideal for your needs and you have found the bed very good and the room very clean. Due to the town centre location the hotel does not have its own car park, but there is an NCP car park located only a 2 minute walk from the hotel. Our guests are welcome to use this car park on a discounted £7.50 per 24 hours rate, which can be claimed after validation of the parking ticket on reception.

We hope you will chose our hotel again when you are visiting London.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Sometimes in life you miss the last train and find yourself needing a place to stay in a rather grotty part of Croydon. This is the situation my partner and I found ourselves in recently and not wanting to part with too much cash for just a few hours kip, we found ourselves at The Landsdowne Hotel.

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by two police officers leading a guest out of the building. Despite the commotion, which included two drunkards on the pavement outside the hotel heckling the officers, the two receptionists behind the desk didn't bat an eyelid- leading me to believe this was not exactly an atypical night at the hotel. The staff were polite and after checking-in directed us to the staircase- the lift was out of order (of course). You can imagine by now we were slightly concerned at what to expect when entering our bedroom- however we were relieved to find it quite decent in comparison to the rest of hotel. The room was very spacious with all the amenities necessary- tv, shower gel, kettle and blow dryer (though it didn't work). There was a rather off-putting dark stain/limescale at the bottom of the toilet bowl, however the bedroom and en-suite were both clean.

For a quick, cheap (for London) stop-over The Landsdowne definitely does the job. However it is far from somewhere I would chose for a relaxing or romantic get-away. The pool may be a nice touch, but in order to really contend with the new Premier Inn being built directly opposite, the entrance and corridors definitely need a good spruce up. I'd also suggest that if they are going to charge £6 quid for breakfast, they at least include a few traditional English Breakfast options and a good array of cereal- coffee and fruit doesn't really cut it!

1  Thank AbzTrip
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear AbzTrip,

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review.

I apologise for the greeting you have had on your arrival. Unfortunately on the night in question, we had a couple of guests, who after checking in, left the hotel for a night out and drunk more, than they should have. On their return their behaviour was unacceptable, and when they were asked to retire to their room, they refused to do so, due to which the night team was forced to ask for the assistance of the police. Although this incident was not something which happens frequently in our hotel, the team is trained to act professionally, and minimise any effect the incident might have on other guests. This is the reason why the team did not show their concern at the time of your check in.

I was glad to see, that after arriving to your room, you have found the room clean, well equipped and enjoyed using the swimming pool. The continental breakfast is provided by the Coffee shop, which establishment does not have the facilities to provide full English breakfast. We can also provide discount voucher for guests who prefer cooked breakfast to cater to all requirements.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to greet you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Very attentive and welcoming receptionist (Danny) (this would be the biggest plus),big bath and very close to the town centre.
What we didn`t like : very small rooms,tv was hard to watch because of its position,breakfast was not a plus,and the elevator was not working (we had a room on the third floor but then again the receptionist was very helpful)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Dragos,

Thank you very much for providing us with a feedback. I was glad to read how good your impression was about Danny on reception. I will pass on your feedback to him. I would also like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the lift breakdown. We are currently waiting for the motor to be replaced, which will solve the problem. For future stays, I would recommend to book one of our superior or exec rooms which would provide ample space.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

my wife and i just had a 2 week tour in europe and london was our 1st stop... 4 days in london and we stayed at the Lansdowne Hotel in Croydon... The hotel was small.. which i was ready for... our trip was about london and not stay in the whole time.. so size did not matter for us. location was great cause it was outside of london so we didn't get that busy tourist area.. we actually had nice and peaceful stay. across from the hotel.. they had a mall a pound store... and many other shops.. a block from that.. markets.. it was really nice and convenient.. if you stay there.. at the station... there's an info center... nice people... get the 7 day pass for the tram.. rides the train, metro, and bus... the hotel... the staff was very nice... got to meet the employee of the month of april.. she was great... and danny.. i believe that was his name.. he was on point. the ladies that helped us out. .they were fantastic.. and the manager was great.. overall on our tour... lansdowne hotel will be our memorable story. thanks again Lansdowne!!!

Room Tip: if you're from america and you are use to our hotels back home... you will need to be open minde...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert A
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for your lovely review, it was very nice meeting you and your family. I'm happy to see, you have found the location of the hotel handy and you the staff helpful and friendly. My team is an asset to the hotel.

I hope the rest of your travel was just as enjoyable and you and your wife will came back to celebrate your anniversary as well.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I had a week of business in London and could not bring myself to pay £200 per night in zone 1/2. I know Croydon well and the town has brilliant comms links to central London via East Croydon station (18 mins to L Vic every 5-10 mins) plus others to London Bridge, overground, CJ, Waterloo and the tram. This hotel is near East Croydon and at about £60 per night it made sense all round. The room was on the 4th floor and I found it very quiet and peaceful. Free wi fi, nice TV and a large bathroom. There is lots to do in the immediate area with Croydon's superb retail centre just a few minutes away. The staff are superb and I enjoyed free access to the adjacent gym club and fitness centre. Breakfast is in a little coffee shop within the hotel. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and saved a fortune on central London prices.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the Jury's hotel opposite.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LittlePoSurrey

Dear Paula,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm happy to see that you not just enjoyed your stay with us, but you were also able to save money, which is always a positive extra.

We hope to see you again when you in the area or just on a business trip in London.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The housekeeping filled up the welcome tray day by day for free. The WiFi was free as well. There was an iPod dock which also had an alarm function. The bathroom had a good size and you could easily refresh the air in the room if you opened both of the windows. The electric radiator was fantastic. It heated up the both the room and the bathroom within a few minutes. The LCD TV had a good size and you can plug in your flash drive to play music or photo slideshows from it (You cannot play videos!) There was a complimentary entry to the Solutions Center where we found a lot of strengthening and cardio machines and jacuzzi, a pool, a sauna and a steam cabin as well. We really enjoyed staying there. There is a Sainbury's store close, the mall can be reached in a minute, and the hotel is between the West Croydon and East Croydon stations (8 minutes by foot) where you can take the railways to get into the centre within 15-25 minutes. You can get into McDonald's, Burger King or KFC in about 5-10 minutes walk if you'd like to eat there. Everything is close and I think it's the best place to stay in London, if you don't want to be in the centre of the city!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Zoltan,

Thank you very much for this comprehensive review, it is much appreciated. I was glad to see, you were able to take advantage of our offer of complimentary usage of the Solution Health Club and you also enjoyed your time at the hotel.