“Poor Service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

No breakfast, no ice machine, no snacks. Bar closes at 10.30 pm, food in the bar is OK though. Refused to allow me to place a letter in their outgoing mail, smiling is something the staff are not trained to do nor is saying good morning. Located bang next to a rather dodgy hostel where in the space of 7 days there were 11 police visits and 4 ambulance calls (at the hostel next door). Lots of screaming from the hostel too. Benefits of the Lansdowne...free internet, great beds and pillows, clean place, use of pool and gym (but it is ultra busy all day long). The maids are friendlier than the front desk staff. All in all not a bad place but I would call it average and I suppose you get what you pay for. My weeks stay was around £600. However I decided to move back across the road to Jury's Inn because on a pros and cons list the Jury's edges it

Room Tip: Stay at the hotel opposite, the hostel next to Lansdowne takes it down several notches unless you ar...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear James,

Thank you for taking the time and writing this review.

I’m a bit concerned about your comment in regards to the service you have received. My team is the highest valued asset of the hotel, and they are praised by many happy guests. I will discuss your comments with them to establish why you did not receive our usual, high standard customer service. I’m not sure why you have mentioned there was no breakfast. The breakfast is served every day in the coffee shop from 7 am on weekdays and from 8 am on weekends. I do apologise for the inconvenience, but the reason why you were advised not to leave the letter on receipts is, that we have no outgoing mails as such, as 99% of our business these days is completed electronically or over the phone. I’m sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the police and the ambulance visiting the hostel, but I’m sure you can appreciate that this issue is out of my control.

Thank you for the positive comments about the free internet and the cleanliness of the room. I was also glad to read, that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary access to the pool and the gym. I’m sorry to hear that although you have found the hotel value for money, you have decided to stay with our competitor due to the close proximity of the hostel.

I hope you will give a chance to improve your first impression of the hotel.

Anita Kadar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Grantham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I read various reviews of this hotel before my girlfriend and I stayed there this week, but I am a firm believer in making my own mind up. It's not awful, a little extra effort and it could have been a very pleasant stay. There were some plus points:

1. The reception area is nice, very approachable and clean.
2. Check in was efficient and hassle-free.
3. The hotel isn't that difficult to find - people moan about the one-way system and the car park, but they can't do anything about that. There were extensive roadworks when we arrived, and it took a lot of effort to find the car park and get in, but that wasn't the hotel's fault, I don't see why they should be held accountable for it. Especially when they give you a discount on the parking if you validate upon check out.
4. The room was well decorated and the bathroom was lovely. Very spacious and clean.
5. The location was ideal for us, commuting around London all week, it was convenient to be so close to East Croydon Station.

There were, however, some downsides that I would like to mention.

1. The receptionist upon check in wasn't rude, exactly, but she wasn't very friendly. Efficient, yes. Polite - no. No greeting, no please or thank you, no welcome at all.
2. The lift is abysmal. I am a large guy, but not that large, and my partner is tiny, yet we really struggled in the lift, especially with our luggage. It is the smallest lift that I have ever seen. It does the job, but it will certainly not fit more than two adults in.
3. The room was very small, and the bed was tiny. I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a Queen-sized bed, which made sleep quite difficult.
4. We stayed in room 405, which was tidy, and like I have said, the bathroom was very clean. The black mould on the ceiling above the wardrobe, however, was not quite so good.
5. The TV is mounted on the wall in a way that it cannot be seen fully from the bed. A bit pointless.
6. The housekeepers tried to enter the room twice on the morning of departure, at around 9am, despite there being a 'do not disturb' sign on the door. Not very professional.

I did not mention any of this at the time because the receptionists largely came across as very un-approachable. It wasn't an awful stay, it was a good rate, I didn't expect four or five-star treatment. Like I said, a little bit of extra effort, and it would have been a wonderful stay. I may be difficult to please - I am a receptionist at a hotel myself, so I probably look at things in a different way to most travellers. It just seems a shame to me - the hotel has a lot of good things going for it - the bar lounge seemed lovely, although we did not go in.

I will say this though - We found out after we checked out that you can park in the Whitgift center across the road for just £5 per day. Had we known this, we would have saved £5.20, and about half an hour of trying to figure out the one-way system. Again, not the hotel's fault, but maybe it would reflect on them better if they recommended the money-saving car park, rather than the NCP car park.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pgs34
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Pgs34,

I was glad to read that you found the reception area nice and approachable and check in efficient and hassle-free. It was also good to see that you found our hotel easy to find despite having to negotiate the one way system. Please accept my sincere apologies for finding the receptionist not sufficiently friendly during your check-in and please be assured that I will discuss the issues you have raised with the relative head of department so that they do not re-occur. We pride ourselves in high levels of customer service and you certainly have not encountered our usual standards of service.

Regarding your dissatisfaction with the size of the bed I can assure you, in the double room we provide standard queen sized bed. For future stays, I would recommend to book one of our superior or exec rooms which would provide ample space. As far as the lift is concerned, it is a built in feature of the hotel and due to the initial design we are unable to change it. Rest assured, although the lift is small, it in good working order. I have also spoken to our housekeeping team about trying to enter the room while the ‘do not disturb’ sign is on the door to ensure this will not happen again.

We recommend the Dingwall Road NCP car park, because it is the closest to our hotel and we believe the easiest to find. However, thanks to your feedback we are able to recommend alternative parking solution at the Whitgift Centre car park.

I hope you will give us another chance to show you this is not the usual standard which we operate under.

Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The staff are great at this hotel and very helpful, too bad the rooms are super dirty and rundown. Not worth the money at all...

The carpet in our room looked like it had never seen a vacuum, the bathroom was disgusting and the shower didn't work. The sheets on the bed had hair in them(so gross). The walls had marks and stains all over.

The lift in this hotel really needs to be replaced only 1 person(2 if your tiny) can fit in the lift at one time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Londonlove77,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I was glad to see that you found our staff great and helpful.

I must however respectfully disagree with your feedback in regards to the cleanliness and the state of the hotel. All rooms are cleaned daily followed by the inspection from the head housekeeper and myself. The number of positive comments (including this website) praising the hotel on this point is probably the best testimony of our commitment to cleanliness. I am also sorry to hear that you had a problem with the shower.

I have checked with the reception team to see if there were any complaints logged regards to these problems from yourself and what actions were taken. The team has informed me, that they were not notified about any issues, which is unfortunate as we would have given you a new room immediately to ensure we meet your standards.

Thank you again for your comments and if you wish to discuss the matter any further, please feel free to contact me on the following email address: gm@lansdownehotelcroydon.co.uk

Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just a few minutes walk from Croydon east station, which in itself is just 15 minutes by train from London Victoria, this hotel is close to shops, cinema, local shops and is very easy to find.

the rooms were basic but clean, a bit of dodgy tiling but for £50 a night for 2 of us i don't think it is worth complaining about.
the beds were tidy and comfortable.
The breakfast was £6 with a voucher, but to be honest it wasn't up to much, a bowl of cereal, very thin toast a coissant and coffee. If you nip over the road to the shopping centre (use the subway underground and go up escalators, its on your left) you can get a large hot breakfast for just under £4.

The lady on the reception was very pleasant, she wasn't very good at directions but we got the general idea!!
All in all ok for a 1 or 2 night stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Kathryn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at the Lansdowne Hotel. I am glad to read that you found proximity of our hotel to East Croydon Station convenient.

On reading your review, I was also happy to see that you found the room tidy and comfortable. I am sorry that the breakfast failed to meet your expectations. I will discuss this issues with the Coffee Monkey management team and see what improvements and upgrades can be made to provide a better value to our guests.

On a positive note, I am happy to see that you found hotel and reception staff pleasant and able to provide accurate directions. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at Lansdowne Hotel and hopefully we will see you again in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Had so much problems checking in, receptionist that was. He king us in was very rude. Hotel is run down, we had a executive room which had 2 single beds pushed together! Only good thing was the gym next door and swimming pool which you have free access to. I would stay again just for them.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Amy,

Thank you for your feedback. I was very disappointed to read your dissatisfaction with the check in process you have received. This is very unusual as all our staff is professionally trained to be friendly and helpful to all our guests. I have discussed your feedback with the team to ensure all guest arriving to and departing from our hotel receive outstanding customer service for which we are usually known.

I was glad to see, you were able to take advantage of our complimentary use of the Solution Health Club and you have decided to stay with us again.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback I hope you will stay with us again and give us a chance to improve the unfortunate initial impression of the hotel.

Bakersfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and enjoyed my stay. I re-booked, this time with my mother and brother, and encountered an utter disaster. Despite the fact that the staff are very friendly and attentive, the hotel leaves much to be desired. The bathrooms have mold clinging to the grout and the bathroom in one of the rooms looked more like a murder scene.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Stuart,

Thank you for your feedback.

I was glad to see, that you have found the staff very friendly and attentive. I would also like to apologise for the state of the bathroom at the time of your stay, which you have mentioned in your review, was in March. Since that time, we have installed new fans in every bathroom to prevent condensation and mold. All bathrooms have been repainted and the silicon around the bathtubs were changed. We are also in the process of redecorating the bedrooms to ensure all rooms are clean and fresh looking just like they were at the time of opening.

I hope you decide to give us another chance to show you the new and improved Lansdowne Hotel.

Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Having read the grim reviews of this hotel on here I was expecting a cross between a dormitory and workhouse!
My experience was the total opposite.
This easy to find hotel is minutes from East Croydon station and directly opposite the Whitgift shopping centre.
On arriving I was allocated a third floor room and yes like others, the lift wasn't operational .....
However it's hardly Mount Everest and the room more than made up for that.
The double bedded room was sparkling clean, lovely TV with many channels..
Host of teas, flavoured teas, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits all free of charge.
Bed was beautifully presented and crisp and clean.
Wifi also all over hotel.
Carpets and curtains also top quality.
Big bathroom with shower/bath and complimentary shower and shampoo bottles.
Big bar downstairs offering food and drinks...
Health centre with everything you need and free as a guest and all for £54 per room!!
Hunt around to get best rate as they do vary.
I would return again more than happily....
This is a little gem

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank seagull9
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Seagull9,

Thank you very much for writing this comprehensive and very kind review.

I was happy to read that you have found the hotel’s location ideal for your travel and the lift outage didn’t ruin your experience. Last week we have received the custom made part for the lift, which was fitted immediately and now the lift is fully functional again. I was also glad to see, you were able to take advantage of our complimentary offers of Wi-Fi and entry to the Health Club and your room was sparkling clean with beautifully presented bed and top quality beds and curtains.

Thank you again for your unbiased review and we hope to see you soon.