“Awful”

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 24 January 2014

If you are a car owner, don't bother, you have to use the local NCP car par and walk to the hotel. On arrival we were greeted by a group of drunks sat on the steps, these guys live next door at the Hostel and spend most of their time hanging around the Hotel Bar.

Single feeling vulnerable car owner? Don't bother booking this place.

Lift, hilarious me and my bag, that's it, room okay, tv in the wrong place, music from next room.

Breakfast, don't bother use the cafe adjacent buy your own better selection.

Walk through the bar to find both external fire doors locked with bikers security rope and padlock. Arrived in reception to be greeted by the local Police emergency response unit three support cars and paramedics, on call to the Hostel next door.

Overall, use Jury's or the Premier Inn, same street.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gilman12_13
TomaszMichalak, Guest Relations Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Gilman_12_13,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at the Lansdowne Hotel.

I am sorry to read that the parking arrangements caused you inconvenience. The NCP car park is situated only 100 yards from the hotel, which is approximately a 3 minute walk. Most hotels in city or town centre are unable to provide complimentary car parking. I would like to respectfully point out that neither Premier Inn nor Jury’s Inn mentioned have their own car parks and like us rely on the same NCP car park for all their respective guests needs. There is a drop curb at the entrance to our hotel, where you can temporarily park your car, which especially useful for unloading or loading heavy luggage.

I can also only apologise for the disorderly people outside, but I’m sure you can appreciate that it is completely out of our control. The issues of hostel (which is totally unconnected to us) are not exclusive to our establishment and we do everything we reasonably can to work with the hostel and the local authorities to minimise its impact, but the problems are common to all businesses and residents within the Landsowne Road area, including the other hotels. Croydon Town Centre is currently undergoing a multimillion pounds redevelopment, which should definitely help to raise the profile of the town.

As far as the lift is concerned, it is a built-in feature of the hotel and, due to the initial design, we are unable to do enlarge it, however much we might like to. On the positive note, I’m happy to hear that you have found your room to your likening. I will investigate the ‘TV issue’ and have it rectified immediately. You didn’t mention whether you informed anyone at the hotel about this during your stay; had you done so, our reception team would have offered you an alternative room.

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback. We value your commentary and take both positive and negative feedback into account when revising our service levels and team member training. As a hotel, we pride ourselves in delivering superior service, which is not only friendly and professional but also genuine and heartfelt.
I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future to Croydon area as well as our hotel.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Parking was not nearby, and nowhere to park and unload. Consequently had to haul luggage a long way.  A business woman travelling alone would find this a daunting prospect. Lift not large enough to accommodate 2  adults plus luggage.   Room badly laid out and unwelcoming.  TV not visible from sofa. No light in desk area. Ridiculously small bedside tables.  No mirror for make up/ hair drying.  Bed had 2 single mattresses, rather than correct size. Douvet thin and inadequate.  Bathrobes, slippers and mineral water listed as supplied but weren't.  Music from Gym next door extremely noisy.  Bathroom - toilet blackened.  Towels old, thin, tired and too small.

• Stayed: January 2014
TomaszMichalak, Guest Relations Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Muffetty,

I am very sorry to read that the parking arrangements caused you some inconvenience. NCP car park is situated 100 yards from the hotel which is approximately a 3 minute walk. Most hotels in city or town centre do not provide complimentary car parking. Premier inn is no exception. There is a drop curb at the entrance to our hotel where you can temporarily park your car especially useful for unloading or loading heavy luggage. This should have been communicated to you before your arrival, so I apologise profusely as this was obviously not made known to you.

As far as the lift is concerned, it is a built in feature of the hotel and due to the initial design we are unable to do enlarge it, however much we may like to.

I was sorry to read that your room did not live up to your expectations. You didn’t mention whether you informed anyone at the hotel about this during your stay; had you done so, our reception team would have offered you an alternative room.

Also to hear that bathrobes, slippers and mineral water were missing in your room. I will pass this on to our Housekeeping Manager and instruct them to prevent this from happening again.

With regard to the towels I must respectfully disagree. Our linen is professionally clean by the outside company which delivers crisply folded and freshly smelling laundry daily. Both bath and hand towels are of industry standard sizes.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on future visit to the area.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights with partner for a weekend away. Didn't want to travel too far from home! Having read the reviews I wasn't sure what to expect but find some of the comments a little mean (or maybe we are just easy to please).

Hotel is clean, modern and welcoming - big reception where we were greeted by friendly staff. Yes okay, the lift is obviously small, but we still fit two of us with two 'cabin luggage' sized bags in it. It obviously used to be a service lift and not one for a large hotel. But it really isn't a big deal!
We had breakfast at the Wetherspoons on George St (my partner is allergic to gluten so the continental breakfast next door would not have been suitable!). Good shops not too far away.

Bedroom was lovely - TV, iPod dock, tea making facilities. Comfy double bed with extra pillows; yes the room was smaller than say a travelodge but it was sufficient (you can go for superior or executive to get a bigger room but we were happy). I didn't find it cold in the room at all - in fact we slept with the window open one night! Bathroom was lovely - deep, long bath and complimentary toiletries. I would say that if you are going to have a nice long bath like I did, turn off the extractor fan (switch on the same wall as bathroom door) otherwise the noise is annoying and it gets colder quicker.

The use of 'Solutions Gym' next door was amazing, and the main reason for our booking. A well stocked gym with cardio floor and free-weights/resistance machines, ladies-only gym. Also had a small pool with a sauna and steam room - the jacuzzi wasn't working on the day we were there.

Would definitely recommend the hotel for stays and hopefully (if my partner permits!) we will be regular guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
TomaszMichalak, Guest Relations Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Nicola,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel, and it is particularly rewarding for us to receive such positive feedback.

I was happy to hear that you found your room and bathroom lovely comfortable and warm. It was good to learn, that health club facilities were amazing and you really enjoyed your time there.

It will be a pleasure for me to share your comments with the entire team. Once again we thank you for your honest feedback and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip to Croydon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed two nights with my daugher.we arrived 21.30 and unable to get food in hotel .but staff ordered a take away.no breakfast was available both mornings.room was cold and a plug heater was used to heat bathroom. Duvets with a tog rate 10.5 only suitable for summer.when I requested a extra duvet I given a old one with out any cover when i asked for a cover I was given a sheet not ideal.!

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Aislinn40,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at the Lansdowne Hotel. I am glad to see that you have found our staff friendly. I apologise for the inconvenience caused by the inability to serve food at 21.30. The bar finishes serving food at 20.00, which we do note in all our promotional material, as well as on our website. On the positive note, I was pleased to hear that the receptionists helped you to order a take-away meal. The receptionist team is one of the best assets of the hotel.

Regarding the breakfast, I can only assume that you have stayed with us on the bank holiday Friday on which day, unfortunately our Coffee Monkey breakfast venue was closed. We do however, have a standing arrangement with the nearby Jury’s Inn, whereby our guests can obtain a cooked breakfast at a significantly discounted rate. This should have been communicated to you before your arrival, so we apologise profusely as this was obviously not made known to you.

I am also sorry to hear that your room was cold; our reception team should have offered you a change of room and this feedback will be given to our reception manager and staff.

Thank you also for your comments about the quality of the additional duvet. We can report that, thanks to your feedback, we have replenished our stock of duvets and duvet-covers so they are now all up to the expected standards.

We really do appreciate your feedback, as this is our best resource for improving our guest services, which are always trying to do. Thank you for staying with us and, despite this not ideal experience, we do hope you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is great! Very clean with lovely comfortable rooms and big en-suites. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Location is good, less than 5 mins walk to the train station which gets you to central london within 30 mins and in a quiet area. Have stayed here twice and had a great experience both times. Will definitely stay again in the future.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
TomaszMichalak, Guest Relations Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear rch30,

Many thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review about our Hotel.
I am delighted to read that you found our rooms clean, lovely and comfortable. We are indeed fortunate to be located so centrally, and with the train station nearby it’s easy to get around London.
We are happy to see that you have chosen to stay with us twice already and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at the Lansdowne for two nights while visiting family and found a good clean nicely decorated room, if rather small, but adaquate for our needs. Bathroom was large and clean, with free toileties As mentioned by others the lift is tiny but we managed to get the buugy in! The Gym next door which is free to hotel guests was lovely but we were disapointed to find it closed on our arrival Sunday evening. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, we could get as much tea milk etc as we wanted just by asking. We had the continental breakfast (extra £6) at the cafe next door Tea, juice, ceral, yought and toast which was fine. We have stayed at other budget hotels in Croydon in the past and would certianly go back to the Lansdowne again. the leasure facilities made it for us.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 961katie
Anita K, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Katie

Thank you very much for taking your time and providing us with this kind review.

I was happy to read that you have found the hotel’s room and bathroom of a good size and decorated to your liking. I was also glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast at found it adequately priced.

I am sorry that you missed the opening hours of the gym upon your arrival. On Sunday they are open from 9am to 6pm only. Please refer to our website for full opening hours of the Solution Health Club to avoid possible disappointment.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we will welcome you again in our hotel.

Anita Kadar

Reviewed 27 November 2013

No breakfast, no ice machine, no snacks. Bar closes at 10.30 pm, food in the bar is OK though. Refused to allow me to place a letter in their outgoing mail, smiling is something the staff are not trained to do nor is saying good morning. Located bang next to a rather dodgy hostel where in the space of 7 days there were 11 police visits and 4 ambulance calls (at the hostel next door). Lots of screaming from the hostel too. Benefits of the Lansdowne...free internet, great beds and pillows, clean place, use of pool and gym (but it is ultra busy all day long). The maids are friendlier than the front desk staff. All in all not a bad place but I would call it average and I suppose you get what you pay for. My weeks stay was around £600. However I decided to move back across the road to Jury's Inn because on a pros and cons list the Jury's edges it

Room Tip: Stay at the hotel opposite, the hostel next to Lansdowne takes it down several notches unless you ar...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear James,

Thank you for taking the time and writing this review.

I’m a bit concerned about your comment in regards to the service you have received. My team is the highest valued asset of the hotel, and they are praised by many happy guests. I will discuss your comments with them to establish why you did not receive our usual, high standard customer service. I’m not sure why you have mentioned there was no breakfast. The breakfast is served every day in the coffee shop from 7 am on weekdays and from 8 am on weekends. I do apologise for the inconvenience, but the reason why you were advised not to leave the letter on receipts is, that we have no outgoing mails as such, as 99% of our business these days is completed electronically or over the phone. I’m sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the police and the ambulance visiting the hostel, but I’m sure you can appreciate that this issue is out of my control.

Thank you for the positive comments about the free internet and the cleanliness of the room. I was also glad to read, that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary access to the pool and the gym. I’m sorry to hear that although you have found the hotel value for money, you have decided to stay with our competitor due to the close proximity of the hostel.

I hope you will give a chance to improve your first impression of the hotel.

Anita Kadar