“These guys do not understand customer service”

The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Lytchett Matravers, England, United Kingdom
“These guys do not understand customer service”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Pokey little room and a lift that was as small and slow as I have ever experienced - like being in moving coffin.

Great wi-fi connections.

But the lady receptionist was the most miserable I have ever encountered in a hotel - she handed me my keys without even looking at me. Not good - this is a people business - dont they realise this?

Will never return to this place. It's noisy too - a lot of traffic noise.

Room Tip: Dont come here
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
TomaszMichalak, General Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and sharing your experience with everyone on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that you found your room too small to your liking. It is a shame you didn't provide feedback at the time as I would have welcomed the chance to move you to a different room, but I do understand it's not everyone's approach. In the future, I would recommend to book one of our superior or exec rooms which would provide ample space for a fractionally more money.

As far as the lift is concerned, it is a built-in feature of the hotel and, due to the initial design, we are unable to do enlarge it, however much we might like to.

I am very pleased to read that you took advantage of our complimentary WiFi and you found it suitably impressive.

I am very sorry to hear that the customer serve extended by the receptionist did not meet your expectation. This really comes as a surprise as we pride ourselves on delivering friendly and professional service to all our guest, which is reflected in other reviews praising the hotel's team on this. All the front desk staff and management have been spoken to regarding the situation and I can assure you that corrective training has been implemented to prevent anything like this happening again in the future.

I am also sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations, mostly due to the noise from outside. I can only apologise and trust that you will appreciate that this is completely out of our control. You definitely ought to have mentioned the noise issue during your stay, had you done so, the receptionist team would have gladly moved you to the room overlooking the backyard.

Thank you for your comments. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best Hotel around. Please accept my sincere apologies if we fell below the standard expected by you. Rest assured that these comments will be taken on board and help to improve our overall service.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience. May I once again thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Tomasz Michalak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The Lansdowne hotel is the perfect place to stay in Croydon. You have all the facilities off a town right on your doorstep, tram stop almost in spitting distance and a major rail hub for the city. Then there's the staff, tomasz is a very sound gentleman who can't do enough to help and the receptionist staff, especially Alfie deserve a mention to, always big smiles upon arrival, they store my bag each week with no complaints and the bar staff, nicky and mash potatoe are lovely. All in all a great place to stay. It's the reason I'm back each week. Well done the Lansdowne team.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank KarlJackson21
TomaszMichalak, Guest Relations Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Mr Karl,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and sharing your experience with everyone on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read that you found our hotel to be well situated. We too share your enthusiasm for our location. Indeed, it only takes 15 min to get to Victoria and London Bridge and we are just a stone’s throw form some excellent pubs and restaurants.

I am additionally grateful for the opportunity to thank the team members you singled out for praise. I have shared your kind words with our receptionist Althea and barmaid Nicky – they are humbled for being singled out.

Thank you very much for your kind words, I am delighted that you enjoyed the overall experience created, and that our food offering and team made such a good impression on you.

I very much look forward to personally welcoming you back to The Lansdowne Hotel Croydon.

Warm Regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

For some reason all hotels in croydon were fully booked on the date of our stay. This hotel had a room priced at £214. Unfortunately the room was grim. There was chewing gum stuck on the wall and a large stain on the bed runner, hair on bathroom floor and green mould on shower. The shower itself is pathetic, there was very little danger of getting wet! It was a relief to only spend one night there and move to jurys inn the following day!

• Stayed June 2014
TomaszMichalak, Guest Relations Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and sharing your experiences.
I am so sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. Our aim is to meet our guests’ expectations and I am very sorry we didn’t achieve it this time. I would like to make up for the bad service that you received at our hotel. Could you be so kind to contact me directly on 0208 681 3381 and ask for our Assistant Manager or email me at am@lansdownehotelcroydon.co.uk. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences that you experienced with us.

This is not our standards. I will address all the points mentioned with the appropriate heads of the departments for I really regret that you left our hotel feeling disappointed. Please contact us back so we can find out what we can do to gain back your trust.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

After finding it so easy to get to and from london and with this hotel just on the door step of the train station, was such at ease to find. The hotel was very clean and tidy and we were greeted by a lovely gentleman on the reception so helpful and then was blown away by the room, lovely and spacious everything we needed. A nice touch was the ironing service room so much easier, and the spa was lovely so relaxing, a great touch. As there was a little hick up with the toilet were then allocated to a new room by the lovely ladies on reception, the bar was nice and Nicki the bar maid was a great lively host and had a great night drinking in such an accommodating hotel. The location was so quiet and central and easy to get to for food, pubs and clubs and also great beds for a relaxing nights sleep.We will be returning to your great hotel and thank you all for a great weekend!!

Room Tip: Ask for the superior room - lovely
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xkirstyleex .
TomaszMichalak, Guest Relations Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear xkirstyleex,

Thank you very much for this wonderful feedback of our hotel.

It is music to my ears to know that you found our hotel clean, tidy and were greeted by lovely and helpful staff. It is pleasure to hear that your room was spacious and you took advantage of our complimentary spa and health club facilitates. I am very pleased that you were well looked after by Niki in the bar. It will give me a great pleasure sharing this feedback with her.

We too share your enthusiasm for our location, we are very fortunate to be located within such an easy access to London and be close to pubs and restaurants. I am delighted that we could contribute to your special occasion in some way, and the team will be over the moon with your comments.

I am very pleased that you will be returning to Lansdowne Hotel. Your comments are a delight to read and everyone here at Lansdowne Hotel is glad that you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm regards

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was my third time in the Lansdowne Hotel and I loved it. Perfect way to save money when I’m down in London on a business meeting, as I don’t have to pay London prices and to get to central London is really easy. I didn't manage to use the gym facilities, but the rooms were nice and clean and the staff is always very approachable and friendly. I will be back next month too.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Megan,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.

I was so pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoy your stays with us. I could not agree more about the proximity to London and ease of travel. Indeed, we are just 15 minutes from either Victoria or London Bridge stations. This does make us an idea location for people wanting to visit London without paying London hotel prices.

The team have also read your review and were equally thrilled to learn of your positive experiences and, of course, very kind comments about them.

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say we very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back next month.

Best regards

London
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Value for money ratio has been highly satisfied at our stay in the hotel.
Receptionist has been approachable and friendly, also very professional at the same time.
Room was not very spacious, but very neat and clean throughout.
The bed linen were very clean, and the bed itself was very comfortable to us.
The service and style is very corporate, which was just fine to us. ////
M.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MZ-M_Ciao
TomaszMichalak, Guest Relations Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Z-M_Ciao,

Thank you for your review of Lansdowne Hotel.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and that you found our staff friendly, and professional. I am extremely pleased to read that you found the room spacious, neat and clean throughout. It also satisfying to read that you you found the bed comfortable and linen very clean. It will be a pleasure for me to share your
positive comments with each member of staff.

We really appreciate your feedback, as this is our best resource for improving our guest services, which we are always trying to do. Thank you for staying with us and, we do hope you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Warm regards,

Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights Sunday to Tuesday and it was our base while we visited London itself.Very easy to find after we came out from East Croydon train station,Staff were friendly enough with a greeting and a smile every time we came and went,We stayed on the 3rd floor in a room that was adequate for what we needed it for,room was comfortable with plenty of room to put our stuff,the bathroom was the same large window ledge for putting toiletries/make up etc.Hairdyer was superb(Not a feeble one like in most places)It had real power speed to it and as a hairdresser I'm used to these appliances!The only bad points I'd say were that the bathroom looked a little tired and would have benefited from a decent clean or updating and the TV is in a very strange position??When you are in bed it was on the left hand side wall??Bizarre.. saying that it didn't effect our stay.We would be happy to book here again as it was cheaper than staying in the centre of London and the train station was just a very short walk away.Easy peasy!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Devontravelbug2,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us.

I am glad you found the hotel easy to find and our staff friendly. Your feedback about your room is appreciated, and I am glad you had such an enjoyable stay. We will certainly look in to the quality of cleanliness in the bathroom and the positioning of the TV set, so hopefully, on your next visit with us you you will be suitably impressed.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the high quality of the hairdryer in your room and found it superb. It is also refreshing to hear that you found our hotel good value for money. Indeed, with our flexible rate strategy, the hotel is prices most competitively versus other hotels in the area and in London.

Thank you so very much for your kind comments about the hotel and the team here at Lansdowne Hotel, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm regards,