“worst place ive ever stayed in.......”
Review of Cedars House Hotel

and 1 more site!
Cedars House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Croydon B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“worst place ive ever stayed in.......”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was supposed to be staying for three nights but I actually couldnt do it and walked out at 1 am on the last night.
The room I was given was large and to be fair the floors beds and linen very clean and the bed comfortable. Another plus was the Wifi . But thats all I can say thats positive. The front garden/ drive was piled high with litter. The decor was old tired and gruby the doors had hard board nailed on to cover the holes, the floors though clean were badly fitted laminate. The wardrobe was falling apart. There was left over make up and tissues in the draws and a shared bath room for the whole floor was dirty and worked poorly, also had a window in the shower cubicle.
The communal kitchen offerd a serve yourself breakfast option of cerals but as with the rest of the building it is gruby and smells from the un emptied bins.
The last straw for me was the manager chatting loudly with his freinds in the room next to mine untill the early hours. As the walls are paper thin he might as well have been in the same room and not in the least bothered about keeping people awake. Avoid this place. If your on business or with a family youll regret it.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RichardTwxyz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hastings
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you are looking for a
Nice b n b, In a nice area with friendly staff- this is NOT the place for you!? I arrived after driving up and down this manky looking street, to wait at the door for ages! Before a non English speaking male let me in. He pointed out my room and gave me a key- to what looked like the dungeon?! It was dirty and nothing like the photos on the website. Some of it's most prominent aspects were the "punched hole in the bathroom door and the toilet that didn't lock!" Let's not forget the mouldy stains on the walls and the bug in my drink :) I can quite happily say I will
Not ever recommend this place to anyone other than my worst enemy! I paid £49.50 for this pleasure, don't be a mug and stay here! Treat urself to a
Tent!!! X

• Stayed June 2014
Folkestone
Reviewed 5 August 2013

First of all, I think that the owners probably mean well, so I feel a bit bad writing this review (you can guess from this opening that it's not going to be positive). But needs must - otherwise you might be tempted to book there too...

OK, so this hotel is cheap. Assuming you didn't pay the hilarious £80 quoted as the RRP on the booking websites, that is. Let's just say I paid under £50 with breakfast included, which for anywhere in London has to be worth a punt. I booked completely blind and in a hurry, just needing somewhere for work.

I arrived on the street and spent a while driving up and down it looking for something hotel-like and not finding it. Eventually, with the help of Google, I traced it to what looked like a big, fairly run down house at the end of the street, which is exactly what it turned out to be. My tip for finding it is to arrive after dark, when the whole place is illuminated by a horrible, tacky blue LED light mounted next to the door.

I was met by someone who spoke no English and pointed up the stairs with a sort of grunt. At the top of the stairs was a strange window, like you would get at the top of a bathroom. I peered through and gave my surname. After some shuffling of papers I was given a key and shown to my room, and advised that breakfast was served in the breakfast room and was self-service continental.

The decor throughout looked like someone had outfitted the whole place, badly, from the cheap end of B&Q. 10 years ago. The paint was generally yellowed and peeling, and there are cracks in the walls. The nasty laminate floors creak as you walk around, and have square holes roughly hacked out of them for the pipework to pass through. The doors hang crookedly and seem to be made out of cardboard - it doesn't give you much confidence for leaving things in your room. Basically, this isn't a place where you pay £50 and feel like you've done well. This is the sort of establishment where you are very very aware that you only paid £50 and you feel like you deserve it, you cheapskate. Thoroughly depressed by the whole thing, I had a shower in the minute (shared) shower room - choosing not to use the toiletries and shower cap left by the previous residents - and went to the loo, which was equally fun. The window of the loo faces the road, and though the window is frosted, I had no confidence that the street were not being treated to a view of my posterior as I sat down. I hung my towel over the window to prevent this, which meant I only had to deal with the fact that the roof over the toilet is about 4 feet high, the glare in my eyes from the unshaded bulb when sitting down, and the comedy washbasin. Both the shower room and the toilet are about 2 feet square.

Anyway, back to my room, and onto the wifi to find somewhere to escape to.
* Good thing: the wifi works, and is fast, 14Mbps according to a speed test.
* Bad thing: the only places within a 20 minute walk are suspicious takeaways. (Oh, you only do curried goat? You and everyone else on the street? Fancy...)
So off I went into Croydon centre, about a half hour walk. Once here, there are plenty of places to choose food from, and I ended up in Bella Italia. Then to Tesco for snacks and bottled water (no water provided in the room and frankly I didn't trust the water that comes out of the taps by this point). Back to Cedars House and to bed. I could sleep well through a hurricane, so I slept quite well, but the bed was not comfortable, though better if you slept on top of the duvet. Luckily the room was hotter than the sun so I didn't get cold in the night.

The next morning, with some trepidation, I went downstairs to see how Cedars House defines a "self service continental breakfast". I was not disappointed! A feast of cereal in the corner awaited me. And some bananas on the table. That was it. No hot drinks, no juice. Having selected my cereal of choice (apparently they have Weetabix on the Continent too!) I now wondered where milk might be found. Having looked in the kitchen area and only found dirty washing up, I spotted the fridge. Once I had moved the numerous out-of-date bottles of milk out of the way, I managed to find one that was due to go mouldy by the end of that day, and risked it. Next to the fridge were two large bins, both of which were full to the brim and stank. I was only glad that nobody else was down for breakfast - at least I didn't have to meet their eye...

Needless to say I won't be staying there again and nor should you. Particularly as it looks, from the other reviews, like they habitually overbook rooms - I will never ever stay at any hotel that does this.

Avoid.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mantovani_Stankovich
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Whilst having lived and worked in Croydon for a number of years,and travelling on a set budget,I found this hotel to be clean,staff very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them,also whilst staying at orther hotels,you get what you pay for,I would recommend this hotel for people on the go and travelling about a lot..centre of Croydon hotels can be expensive and I wanted somewhere quiet and easy to get to,so all in all,my experience has been positive.thank you to flora and orthers for their help and input..:-)..

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Shane-Galway
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Good for a one night, cheap stay when you find it online. Clean. One star down for the paper thin walls second one for only one toilet and shower room. When you arrive late it is quite difficult to get in. Would recommend if you are on the budget.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Similar to another review...... we were in a taxi literally 2 minutes from this hotel after a day of travelling when they phoned us to say they were overbooked and sent us to a more expensive hotel. Surely they would know sooner that we wouldn't have a room. We therefore spent a lot more money in the taxi to go all the way back where we came from to the opposite direction to the other hotel. Still waiting on the refund, not optimistic we'll get it to be honest.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AJ-1111-X
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We booked two single rooms for one night. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. We slept very well. The self service breakfast was fine. The staff were polite and very helpful.
We've stayed close by a couple of times before and based on our stay at the Cedars House
this weekend would choose it again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends