“Interesting and original menu”
Review of The Boulevard

The Boulevard
Ranked #29 of 469 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Croydon
“Interesting and original menu”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Was invited here for a friend's birthday.

Ambiencewise, not especially cosy but comfortable, background music could have been a tad quieter but certainly not loud enough to interfere with conversation.

We were quickly seated, service was prompt but not pushy.

Menu, especially the Specials board, offered some interesting items.

Staff were happy to look after my partner's dietary requirements (gluten-free and veggy).

I started with Deep Fried Crablets (which turned out to be bits of crab, not baby ones!). This was tasty and nicely cooked though not different enough to be memorable.

For the main course I chose the Venison Goulash. I was a little worried that the flavourings in the Goulash would overpower the meat but Chef had evidently erred on the cautious side and nicely preserved the 'wild' taste of the venison. It's a dish that I would certainly order again.

Dessert I skipped in favour of a glass of good quality Armanac.

Costwise, excluding the many bottles of Merlot, the meal came to around £20 per head.

A competent establishment with some original ideas. Recommended.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Cronxite

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Amazing value Christmas Lunch”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My daughter, son-in-law, grandson and I had Christmas day lunch, four courses plus coffee. the soup was with us shortly after being seated and the other courses arrived shortly after the dishes were taken from the previous course. The staff were friendly and there was a lovely atmosphere with no feeling of being rushed. The place was very busy but the staff did not seem to put themselves under any pressure and dealt with everyone very efficiently.There was a reasonable choice on the menu and the food was delicious. Four meals, a bottle of wine, beer, soft drinks plus the service charge came to less than £150, a real bargain. We have walked past on many occasions but that was the first time we had eaten there. We all agreed we will certainly go back.

• Visited December 2013
Warlingham, United Kingdom
“Good Value Dinner”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Went here with 5 friends for dinner. Got a nice table in the warmer part of the restaurant by the window. The starters were a little hit and miss with one friend having an amazing goats cheese brushetta and the other with 3 mushrooms on her plate with a small garnish!! All the mains were very good particularly the calves liver my friend had!!

Staff were friendly enough but a little short with us when he was busy!!

Overall a good value meal.....

• Visited November 2013
Purley, United Kingdom
“Good selection of food very reasonably priced”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Went with a small group of friends for a birthday celebration. The service was a little slow to start with but food arrived promptly and we had a good selection to choose from. This is not a 'fine dining' experience but the food is very reasonable and you get a good night out for not a lot of expense.

• Visited September 2013
Carshalton, United Kingdom
“Great food for tiny prices!!!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I was so impressed by the 2 courses for £7 - can't see how they make much money!! (This was on a Weds eve but think they do it every day.)
We were the only people in the place to start but it didn't put us off and we didnt feel awkward or anything.
I had calamari and for main chorizo sausages and mash, and my hubby had massive bowl of garlic mushrooms and gammon and chips.
Drinks were very reasonable - £3.15 for glass or wine.
I recommend the banana profitaroles (not that i could eat much.)

• Visited August 2013