“60th birthday celebration”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I visited with 4 friends having had an Xmas meal here earlier. We ordered a bottle of wine at the bar which we took through once our table was ready, the bar is quite small for the amount of dinners, but most people only stay there 10 minutes or so. This is old fashioned, proper silver service establishment & I think most people would 'dress up' to go here. The food was enjoyable, tho a couple of dishes were not 'quite' as good as expected. I had the saddle of wild boar with Stilton & a port sauce, I'm a strong cheese lover & did enjoy the dish but found the stilton overpowered the flavour of the meat a little.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

This was my third visit to this restaurant, and it won't be my last.

The service can not be faulted, the atmosphere was excellent and the food some of the best that I have had in a restaurant.

You don't need to dress up to go here, it is definitely not a jeans and t-shirt place, but you should dress smart. We went as a family to celebrate my daughter's 20th birthday, but I would say that unless your children are extremely well behaved, as indeed they should be when eating out, it's not the sort of place to take a young family.

Food and drink work out at about £40 a person for three courses, service is 10% and gets added on. Drinks are not as expensive as they could be for a place like this. None of the main courses come with vegetables, so you need to remember to add these in when ordering.

The building is old and has lots of wood paneling. The only downside were the toilets, they were clean but old and not very attractive.

This is somewhere that we go when we want to treat ourselves.

Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

This is very old fashioned. Dark interior and old fashioned service. The food was excellant, but expensive. I went in jeans at lunch time and felt out of place as everyone was "dolled up". It was empty when i went and service was slow, but tasted fantastic

3  Thank sle528
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We were ushered into the bar area which was very cramped/crowded. We were asked to order our food in the bar area, which we declined.....saying that we would prefer to order at the table!!

The service was very good, but the food was average. I had the seared squid which nicely cooked but the salad with it lacked taste. I also had the venison which was nice. I have the berry cheesecake but this was tasteless !!

Two other members of the group ordered the Chateaubriand which we thought would come to the table whole and carved, this wasnt the case and it was very dry!!!

A lovely place but an average meal.......

2  Thank Tracie_d_10
Reviewed 18 March 2013

As a party of 4, we ordered 2 bottles of wine with our meal. The waitress asked us if we were driving. Bloody cheek.

9  Thank GuidoGallini