“Still lives up to being Napoleon (for me!)”
Review of The Chateau

The Chateau
Ranked #24 of 499 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Dinner here has ALWAYS been excellent, not cheap but it could be more expensive.

I have ALWAYS come away saying, we shall be back. The atmosphere is excellent in the Restaurant as we like its traditional look and feel. - I did think, this last time, lighting the fire in the bar /pre drinks area would have been nice and a few free nuts would not have gone amiss. (Yes they used to!)

Fir the first time ever the head waiter seems to have had a day off - like many other things he has been there for ever!

1  Thank Pronto1_11

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We went to the Chateau to celebrate my Mum's 75th birthday. It was a lovely occasion and we were sat at a nice round table so everyone could talk and have a good catch up. The service was good - we were greeted and sat down courteously. We were offered to wait in the bar, but there was a large party in there already, so we chose to take our table.

The main dining room is lovely - some reviews on here state that it's dated; I disagree. It's an old house and the wood panelling and curtains are very much in keeping with the room and style of restaurant. It was quite warm in the dining room - too warm for some - but that's just down to personal taste.

We ordered drinks and they were bought promptly to our table. my Mum thought that her white wine was a bit on the warm side - an ice bucket was swiftly bought to the table, and the problem sorted.

Our starters were lovely - we chose from the a la carte but the set menu looked good too. There was enough break between courses for conversation - you certainly didn't feel rushed. The food was presented under old fashioned cloches - all added to the drama and the occasion, and the steaks that we ordered were well cooked. My fillet steak was perhaps a little on the tough side, but the other steaks around the table I'm informed were delicious.

The Chateau is a great, traditional restaurant. Service was very attentive without being over bearing and the food was good value; perfect for a special occasion.

1  Thank SurreyTweety
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We had the pleasure of attending the Chateau for a family birthday celebration.
First impressions were mixed as we were ushered past the toilets into the dining room, but what a pleasant period wood panelled room awaited us.
Menu options were excellent as was the courteous nature of the service staff.
Seafood starters of scallops, squid were tremendous as was the quality of the fillet steaks we had for mains.
The only quibble if the evening was the temperature, which for the mild climate was far too warm.
I can thoroughly recommend this establishment if you are planning on a family evening out.

1  Thank Guy H
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I cannot fault the service by any member of staff here. They are all courteous and polite and cannot do enough to make sure your visit is a positive one. The food was delicious and certainly not expensive. A 3 course Sunday lunch for under £20- expensive ?? Even with a glass of wine, you can have a very good lunch for £25, choosing from a variety of options, including vegetarian, and I would defy anyone to call that expensive.
The surroundings may be a little conservative but the dining room is lovely, the bar comfortable and the staff welcoming. I would strongly recommend the Chateau for a little old-school Sunday dining.

1  Thank Claire F
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I've been going here for a few years now and often take clients here when entertaining.

Their wines menu is great and has a good selection for all dietary requirements.

First time I came to this restaurant was about 10yrs ago and it still looks the same, is a bit dull and drab (could do with a good make over) but on bright sunny days the main dining room is very nice to have your meal.

Service is swift and polite, plenty of parking outside and definitely worth a visit especially on special occasions, I'd highly recommend this place to anyone, just ignore the decor!