“Almost amazing......”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Leeds UK
“Almost amazing......”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

The Selsdon Park Hotel is a magnificient building with lovely grounds to the rear as well as a golf course; there is a leasure centre on the ground floor. They could do with a few more paths for those who want a stroll after breakfast. The reception staff are courteous and helpful as are the staff in the dining room although these seem to be mainly foreign they were exceptionally friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The room we stayed in for a 3 night visit was very comfortable and spacious if a little basic, the only down side was the size of the bathroom, which was cozy to say the least. But it was clean even if it was showing signs of it's age around the edges. The hotel is a popular venue for wedding receptions with excellent reception rooms to cater for all sizes of parties. Please note that on these occasions it can be quite noisy with the sound of music filtering to the nearby bedrooms but this ceases at midnight. With it's rambling corridors it's easy to get lost!! Some of the carpets on the stairs are starting to show thier age. The breakfast is quite adequate but could do with extending the range slightly. But overall, for the location, a really nice place to rest your head.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Susan P, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club, including the building and its surrounding grounds.
You also commented on the 'rambling' corridors at Selsdon Park Hotel, and I am sure you will appreciate this is due to the age of the building, being over 1000 years old in parts , and therefore dictating the layout of the building and rooms, yet adding to the building's character.
As we all strive to deliver the best possible service to our guests, I was pleased to note your comment that the staff were helpful and courteous throughout your stay and I will be forwarding this on to my Heads of Department to pass on to their Teams.
Once again thank you for you comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Golf weekend for 20 ladies !! Staff were polite, helpful & efficient. Food good, rooms spacious and comfortable. We had a couple of minor problems as you would expect with a large group but these were sorted out quickly and without hassle. Although it is a huge hotel it still has the personal friendly touch. Golf course was in good condition and the staff in the proshop were equally as good as the hotel.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
SPH-CS, Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Thank you for comments, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also pleased to note that any issues you raised with the staff were dealt with effeciently and to your satisfaction and that you felt you received a personal touch from our Team. I am also pleased to note that the golf was good and I do hope we can welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I recently held our wedding reception (26/8/11) at the Selsdon Park Hotel and we could not have found a better venue if we tried!!
The hotel is beautiful inside, with stunning views at the back, of 200-acres of greenery. The rooms are spacious, the beds are very comfortable, and the breakfast is lovely.
We were very lucky to book our wedding reception as part of a package deal and everything was included so that was a huge help, and very well thought out!! Jo, Rebecca & Ian in the wedding team were fabulous on the lead up to the day and on the day itself, everything we asked for was put in place and changes on the table plan were made for us only 2 days before the wedding!! All of our guests commented on how stunning the hotel was and I would definitely recommend anyone to hold their wedding reception here!! We would happily stay at this hotel again

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
SPH-CS, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Thank you for your wonderful comments and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. Being such a special occasion it was great to know that you enjoyed all that we have to offer and we met your expectations.
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The room in which I stayed for a 2 night visit with my elderly Mother was very comfortable and spacious and the bathroom clean and bright.
I just have one critisism and that is that there is no provision for the people who still wish to smoke - and there are quite a number. The only place under the entrance canopy was surrounded by people having a smoke; (reminicent of those forced outside hospital buildings!) Not really the way to be greeted on arrival.
I do think the management should provide some sheltered place to the rear of the hotel for this, after all these people are still valued customers.

Room Tip: Just ask if you need a special room; i.e. quiet or easy to access. They will do their best to accom...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review following your stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. It was nice to read your comments about the lovely grounds and golf course, and that you found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. I look foward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park in the future
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed here as part of a wedding party (although the reception was not at this venue -there wer four other weddings taking place).

The room we got was terrible with a tiny double bed and stains on the wall and dust and cobwebs everyhere. The toilet door did not have a rubber stopper and therefore banged really loudly everytime one of us opened the door in the night, We were also at the end of a long smoky corridor that was very noisy due to the other wedding taking place near the entrance end. Thank god we were in a little alcove at the end or it would have been really noisy.

Given that our wedding was not at the venue we were not able to check in until nearly midnight despite the fact we first arrived at around midday, A little more helpful service (ie not changing in the golf changing rooms) would have been appreciated given that my wife was heavily pregnant at the time but I do understand that this not always possible.

I understand that some of the other rooms are much better and I would therefore recommend an earlier checkin if you have the chance.

There was also a ridiculous system for the use of the bar in the late evening. You couldnt pay cash and had to charge a credit card against the room - all of which menat that people spent half ahour muchking around at reception before they could get a drink.

The evening staff were not very helpful but the in the morning the new shift were much better when we complained at checkout (although no feedback has been recieved). The breakfast was also pretty good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your time with us. Our check-in policy is from 3.00pm to allow our housekeeping department time to get bedrooms ready for the guests arriving that day. Guests can request an early check-in, however this is not guaranteed. We do try to honour all our guests requests, and I am sorry that on this occassion you were unable to to gain earlier access to your room.

I have noted your comments with regard to the cleaniness of your room and that you found the bed to be small and I apologise that on this occasion our usual standards were not meet. I have now passed these comments onto the Head of Housekeeping and these will be addressed and the necessary training will be carried out to ensure that this does not happen again.

With regard to bar charges, it is Hotel policy that card details are taken to allow drinks to be charged against rooms, as the Hotel licence only allows us to serve residents after a certain time and this ensures that only guests staying with us are served. It is also for security reasons that no cash is taken in the bar after midnight as per our Licence issued by the local council.

Once again I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations and I would like to apologise for the disappointing stay you had with us, and hope that you will consider returning to enable us to restore your faith in us once again.

Once again, please accept my most sincere apologies.
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I spent our wedding night at the Selsdon Park hotel in one of their suites. Our room was absolutely enormous (with a separate bedroom and sitting room) and incredibly comfortable, if slightly old fashioned in decor. It was situated on the corner of the hotel which
meant there were lots of big windows with lovely views across the grounds. Our only complaint was that finding our room was quite difficult with a maze of corridors and stairs, but not the end of the world - just don't forget something in the room as it's a bit of a hike back! Having said that, we didn't actually end up spending much time in the room as we arrived late at night and left first thing in the morning, but it had everything we needed for our short stay and felt sufficiently grand for our wedding night. Breakfast was fine - buffet style with everything you could want. I only wish we'd stayed a 2nd night...

Payment was an issue though - we bought an advanced purchase room which meant we'd be charged at booking but the hotel only ended up charging us after our stay - it was a big shock seeing the hotel cost on my credit card bill when I thought I'd paid for it months before, but they have assured me they haven't double charged me and that this was a mistake in their part.

• Stayed June 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. I was delighted to read that you felt Selsdon Park was sufficiently Grand for your Wedding Night and that the Hotel and Staff were able to meet all of your expectations. I would like to apologise for the long corridors, but due to the age of the building we would like to think that this adds to its character. I have noted your comments with regard to your room charge and was pleased to know that this was resolved quickly and we were able to reassure you that we had not double charged you atall. I would ike to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your wedding and hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Latchingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We booked a 3 night stay through Golf Breaks and, as it was a birthday treat, upgraded to an executive room which was worth every penny - the room was very spacious and bright with stone mullion windows overlooking the beautiful countryside. The staff are fantastic and, although it has 200 rooms, it felt personal. The food was absolutely wonderful but the table d'hote menu was the same for all three nights which was disappointing, it would have been nice if there was some changes each night. The golf course was challenging and we enjoyed it very much although there were societies out on Saturday and Sunday some of whom were obviously not experienced golfers so the rounds took over 5 hours, whereas on Monday and Tuesday it only took 2 hours 45 mins! Unfortunately there was work being done on the greens on Mon and Tues so we were on temporary greens with no recompense being offered (would have expected a two for one voucher at the very least). Overall it was a lovely hotel and I'd definitely go back but would go midweek not at the weekend and would check if there would be temporary greens.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Avis G
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. I was delighted that you felt your room was of a good standard and that you were able to enjoy the views surrounding Selsdon Park Hotale and Golf Club. I am pleased that you felf we achieved the personal touches, as every guests requirements are important and individual to us here at Selsdon Park. I have passed your comments on to the Golf and Greens team here for any action to be taken to reduce any distrubtion to our guests playing here in the future. Once again thank you for your constructive comments and I look foward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croydon
Croydon Park Hotel
Jurys Inn London Croydon
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club

Been to De Vere Selsdon Estate? Share your experiences!