“Little Piece of Heaven”

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Little Piece of Heaven”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I arrived for a two day mini break with my two small kids just hoping for fun quality time with them in a smart pampered environment and that is exactly what I got. Firstly it was lovely to see such helpful and smiley staff and who bend over backwards to please the children. What a welcoming and pleasant experience. We had a gorgeous room and i thought the decor in the bars, spa area and restaurants was top notch. Considering the size of the hotel I thought it very well maintained . The kids and I also loved the grand fireplaces and the whole ambience was one seeped in history. We had no reason to leave throughout our stay, with lovely walks in the grounds and an incredible swimming pool it was an amazing couple of days. The food was excellent and even the fish fingers on the children's menu were home-made ! The prices were no more than any other high class restaurant one would find in London. To be perfectly honest i am really irritated and flabbergasted by the undeserved comments made about the Selsdon. I will certainly be back ASAP. Keep up the good work and know there are people out there who appreciate the hard work put in by yourselves.

Room Tip: ask for view of the grounds
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with your family and that you were able to appreciate the facilities, surrounding grounds and of course characteristics that the hotel has to offer our guests. Please be assured that your feedback will be relayed to the team where I am sure it will be warmly welcomed. In the meantime thank you again for your constructive comments which allow me to continually monitor the high standards we strive to and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Olivier Six, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arundel, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Having read a few reviews on Trip Advisor before visiting this Hotel, it was with some trepidation that I arrived for a two night stay with my family. The hotel itself is an amazing building in a good location, surrounded by rolling parkland. Depending on the deal that you have struck, a stay here should represent reasonable value, but I sense the hotel operators have an ambition for the hotel to be better than it was. We had a pair of inter-connecting rooms in a good location on the second floor, but the noise from the wedding parties on both nights was pretty extreme (although to be fair this abated at midnight). The rooms were fine, but no more. The swimming pool (can't call it a spa) was disappointing, with terrible changing rooms (lockers broken, showers not working), the jacuzzi & steam room were cold. Due to the numerous weddings taking place the service was shambolic, especially in the bar - trying to get food for our children's evening meal was at times hilarious. The restaurant was fine - with dinner being ok if a little unimaginative; the breakfast buffet was again ok. The golf course was fine and not busy on a Sunday morning.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the golf course and on the third floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would like to personally apologise that having visited the hotel on a previous occasion that we did not meet your expectations or the high standards we strive to during your stay with us. Please be assured that your constructive comment are carefully noted and I will be addressing the issues you have kindly highlighted with the relevant Management Teams. Your feedback will also be passed our Quality Wins Team for review so that any improvements, retraining can be identified and ongoing to ensure that a great service is delivered to our guests at all times.
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed here as a birthday present for my partner. The location was good, however, there was nothing to do. The room was very basic. In this day and age, I would have liked to see a modern TV. The heating didn't work, the toilet wouldn't flush. The resturant prices; too high. The best part was the shower! Would I return, unfortunately; no. However, the staff were all very pleasant.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Naturally i am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in all areas of your stay and please be assured that I will be addressing the issues you have kindly highlighted with the relevant Heads of Department primarily the Maintenance Manager to issue the necessary action is taken to ensure these issues are resolved.
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Had to be moved on arrival as room was not wide enough for the two single beds squeezed in leaving a bed with a lamp hanging over the pillow. Moved to another room after protracted arguments with the staff, stayed three nights - never again.
Bathroom was very small with mouldy fittings and enamel missing from the bath tub, we had no hand towels for two nights. The hotel is completely focussed on corporate and wedding functions, the staff are not interested in ordinary guests and this is reflected in the high levels of noise from events and in the corridors. All of the disabled spaces are occupied by non-disabled cars and no amount of complaining changed this. On previous occasions our bed has been slept in by another person before we took occupancy, one night a drunken guest tried to break in to the room and urinated in the corridor. If you are contemplating staying at this hotel then please seriously think again - you will be kept awake, treated with disdain bordering on contempt and have a room styled by a medieval dungeon keeper.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I sincerely apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and that the standard of the room you occupied was not to the expected high standard. Please be assured that I have carefully noted your feedback and will be addressing the issues you have highlighted with the relevant Management Team. I would also like to some parking spaces were occupied by guests not displaying 'blue badges' Whilst we are our guests to be considerate of other guests staying with us, should a guest be attending a function and are not seen parking in a correctly allotted parking space it can be very difficult to identify the driver/owner to request this is moved to a more appropriate parking space. I can confirm however that my Reception Team will do everything to assist any guest requiring help or assistance with parking. In the meantime i would like to thank you again for your feedback which will be reviewed also by our Quality Wins Team to identify and implement any retraining or improvements to ensure a great service is delivered to our guests.
Olivier Six
Reviewed 1 April 2013

After visiting this hotel for hen party in september, I suggested to my 3 friends to stay here for the night for a relaxing catch up and we biked in january to stay on 29th march

we arrived 3hrs before checking into our room so that we could make the most of the spa facilities. The spa reception advised us that the jacuzzi was out of order but that it was currently being repaired and should be available later that day, they also didn't have any bathrobes available as they were being dried but she said that she'd bring them too us in the spa area, we were also advised that our 60 min treatments were going to be a little later than booked sure to staffing issues and that they would be 2 if us being treated at a time, we told them 2 of us were having facials and 2 having full body massage which they noted.

The changing room was very small, many if the lockers were used but not locked! the floor around the pool area was dangerously wet and I slipped several times, it became a but of a challenge to make it to the changing room without slipping!, there were only around 14 loungers, the majority of which we're covered in towels but with no guest for over an hour, not enough available for use! Still the unused reserved loungers became available and we managed to chill out and catch up. we saw the broken jacuzzi (no sign of repair going on) walked up spiral case and found the sauna with its broken seating area, and the steam room which also appeared broken! we were initially going to book a similar package for cheaper at the hilton but chose this hotel as it had jacuzzi and steam room, I recall the jacuzzi want working when I was there in september too! Our bath robes were handed to us about 2hrs later as promised, but although they were "size L" they were small for anyone over size 16!

A member of the spa team asked for two of us to go through for our treatments, we were not told which treatments so decided 2 massages 1st and the 2 with facials went for a swim only to be told by reception it was 1 facial & 1 massage each time, so one of my friends had to get out the pool and go for her facial, dripping wet I headed of to the treatment room, I can not fault the massage it was great and I was advised the other treatments were just as good although they were about 45-50 mins and not the 60min as advertised! after our treatments we all headed back to the room to get changed for dinner.

The rooms whilst a little dated and in need of redecoration were adequate, although one of the rooms had electric oil heater which did not heat the room well, the shower is great though.

We arrived at the restaurant at 8.10pm, the waiter seated us offered a bottle of water and handed our menus. thirty minutes later a waitress offered us some bread,we asked her if we could order our food and drinks twenty minutes later the starters arrived which we all enjoyed, there was another twenty minute wait for the main course two of us had beef and 2 had the special of the day which the waiter described as lamb with rice. I was informed the beef was really good, but the lamb dish was a spicy curry with small bowl of rice, mini nan and 4 mini poppadum, which unfortunately was to spicy for out pallats and had we known we would not have ordered it! the plates taken away and then waited another 20 mins then approached by another waitress asking if we had ordered or desserts, to which menus where rudely thrown in our faces! The desserts were delicious and the best part if the meal, the were taken by another waiter but no tea/coffee was offered then again waited and waited and then asked a waiter for the bill, no attempt was made to offer us tea or coffee or anything else and by this time we only had to bottles of water and one bottle if wine between the 4 of us! After another 20 min wait we had been very unsuccessful at getting eyre contact with any waiting staff, then finally managed to ask the original waiter for the bill, then again back to that waiting game, after watching the gentlemen we had asked for the bill leave the room for ten minutes we decided to get up and walk to what appeared to be the paying area, we asked him again if we paid there or in reception, then reminded him we has asked him before, and told him how dissatisfied we were with the service and agreed with us that the service was bad! finally paid our bill at 10.50pm and went straight to reception to complain.

Reception was covered by two team members, a lady dealing with checking in new arrivals, and a gentlemen that we spoke to, who said he would get the manager to contact us in the morning. We had planed to head to the bar for a few drinks after it meal but feeling dissappointed by the experience of the meal we decided to go straight to bed!

Next morning went to breakfast which was ok, then headed to reception to talk to the manager, who was infact was the lady from the night before, which I pointed out to her before relearning myself again to her! there was no apology with empathy, no acknowledgment of the problems and I was just told the general manager would be informed on tuesday, we couldn't help but feel that this college been dealt with by her the night before considering the outcome! We were informed I would receive an email after they carried it an investigation in the next couple of days, but given the reviews im not holding my breath.

We had previously planned to go back in the spa before going our serrate ways, but there really didn't seem much point as nothing was working, so decided to go and get a coffee in the bar which according to signs opened at 10. At 10.45 my friend went to find out if it was opening and was advised it opened at 11am but they too out drinks order. managed to get an order the bar opened at 11, and my friend went up to prefer our drinks again, she suggested they updated their displayed times to reflect the actual opening times.

I booked our break based on my last stay in september 2012, it was like I had been taking about a completely different hotel and felt so embarrassed that I had to keep explaining myself comparing the different experience, suffice to say we will not be returning the whole experience was anything but calming and relaxing, fortunately wer are easy going people who made the most of our break together.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Djeobrien
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed on sunday night till Monday afternoon, booking in was ok took some time to find room (403), as tucked away in a corner up some steps, if you follow the room number signs they wont necessarily take you to your room.
Never had a spa before so all new to us, sauna was good but has broken seating slat , steam room was cold found out you need to push button on wall for it to work, the water container does seem to spend most of its time empty.
the male locker room needs some TLC most lockers have no locks and look the worst for ware so security is an issue so had to give my clothes and wallet to my wife to put in the female locker room although this was not much better, at no point was we given a robe to wear had walk round with a towel around us not nice when you have to stand in the reception to wait for your massage especialy for the ladies, we only saw a couple of people with robes must be a shortage. food was good although service is very slow got fed up waiting for bill, went to their desk in hallway to pay or we would still be sitting their, overall ok for a short stay but needs a makeover.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would like to apologise for any shortcoming you experienced whilst with us, and I am of course disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in all areas on this occasion. Please be assured that I have carefully noted your comments and will be addressing the issues you have kindly highlighted with the relevant Management Team. In the meantime thank you for your constructive comments which allows me to monitor the the services we deliver and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Attended a fabulous conference here. The buildings are beautiful, the conference exceptionally well organised and eating out on the terrace was an unexpected treat.

The food was varied, well presented and of a very good quality and the staff were polite, very helpful and worked hard to please the guests.

Would recommend!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am of course delighted to read your feedback which will also be passed to my Quality Wins Team where I am sure it will be warmly welcomed. Once again thank you for your comment which allows me to monitor the high standards we strive to and we look forward to welcoming you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.