“An amazing stay”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Purchased this 2 night stay using a Groupon voucher. Not knowing this hotel it's alway a little risky. The reviews were ok, but there were a few dismal ones. We were booked in at Wembley for the rugby league cup semi finals, 23/11/2013, and it seemed a reasonable risk to take.
Wow what an amazing risk free choice it turned out to be.
On turning up it looked, form the outside, like it had plenty to offer, and we weren't disappointed.
Plush accommodation, plush rooms, incredible food selections, be it, breakfast, snack, or evening meal.
The staff, from manager to cleaners were professional, friendly and nothing was too much. We were a party of two couples, I being disabled, with two room, booked in for a 2 night DB&B, at a discounted price of £155 per couple. I would have readily parted with twice that much given the service we received.
I did hear a well dressed, but not so well mannered, woman making a complaint at reception, on the morning we left. I wasn't eavesdropping, she was shouting so loud, ensuring everyone in earshot could hear. She was being outrageously rude to the receptionist, who remained calm, polite, professional, and attempted to take the complaint. Not sure many could have remained so pleasant, especially at such a busy check out time.
I will be going back here, Groupon Voucher, or not.
I cannot praise this hotel highly enough. It's ideal for any occasion, including short/long stay, weddings, business needs, great health spa facilities.
If you need to be in this area, don't miss out on this Gem of a treat!
Thanks all at Selsdon Park.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter. If the room you are given turns out not to meet your requirements, they will...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stephen O
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

I was delighted to read your review and will ensure it is shared with the team. The team are proud of the hotel and I am pleased our Quality Wins customer care training has been evident during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in business from the 3 December. Very friendly hotel reception made you feel welcome. The hotel is set in impressive grounds and there is adequate parking. Breakfast was good and the room was nice and clean. There was a problem that I had to let reception know which I don't think its appropriate to say on this site as it wouldn't be fair to the hotel. I do hope it is resolved and they let me know the outcome. Aside this I enjoyed my stay worth a visit.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Cilla,

I was pleased to read that yo enjoyed your stay but note that you do refer to having had a problem which has been reported. As your review is anonymous I am unable to research what this may have been however if this has not been resolved by the team, please do not hesitate to contact me directly - stuart.mcgowan@principal-hayley.com

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We attended a Christmas party night at this hotel, it is a very impressive building with beautiful grounds. The party night was good fun , the food was good and a merry time was had by all. As the party organiser My husband and I received a complimentary room with breakfast which was was great. The bedroom was comfortable and the breakfast much needed, just a shame the plates were cold! The hotels events organiser Jo was really friendly and very helpful - thanks for a great night!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Jenny,

Thanks you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay and party night.

I was pleased to learn that you all had a great night and enjoyed staying with us following the party. Thank you for the feedback regarding the cold plates - I have asked the team to ensure this is rectified for future events.

I hope to welcome you back for next year's celebration.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Booked in for one night(thankfully). The room was very small scruffy (room no lower ground18) and the heated towel rail did not work. Light in entrance way did not work, some would on tiles in bathroom. Scruffy shower curtain, no toilet brush, old gray type TV/ not flat screen. Receptionist asked if we wanted papers in morning despite ordering two they did not arrive. Was told on phoning that they had forgotten to order them. Ordered lunch at bar, the meals took ages to arrive and when we first entered the bar was unmanned for first 10 minutes. The grounds and hotel building are really impressive and the spa area very good but the pool had a dirty "tide mark" all around the tiles. Not the best breakfast I have had in an hotel,though not the worst. Breakfast staff very friendly. Will definitely not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid lower ground room 18
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Dave C
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Dave,

I was sorry to read about your experience. I have checked LG18 this morning and whilst the room is of an older style (the hotel dates back to the 18th century so the bedrooms do date back), I do agree with your comments regarding the shower curtain and have had this replaced. There is a programme in place to upgrade the televisions to flat screen and toilet brushes would not be provided as standard.

There is no excuse for poor service standards and I have shared your comments with the Food and Beverage Manager and asked that he use these to provide re-training to all of our teams to ensure service levels are improved and maintained.

Thank you for once again for your review and if you are planning to travel to this area again in the future, I hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a lovely hotel and a wonderful building. I have been staying here for several weeks. Nice sized rooms and good facilities including a great little pool and gym, king size beds are a let down as they are two beds pushed together but those rooms are a fantastic size...
The hotel is however let down by it's other functions. I arrived on the 3rd Sunday of my stay (now) to find two wedding parties in progress. My room in the first floor near one of the function rooms and all I can hear is extremely loud music and guests, unfortunately there are no other rooms for me to move to. Rather then place all wedding guests close to function rooms and other guests further away the hotel appear to have taken the least logical option. I was informed by hotel staff the music should stop at midnight.. Which is fantastic, as I have to wake up at 5 am ill get some sleep maybe. If you stay here make sure a function is not on.

Room Tip: Avoid 17 rooms eg 117 217 etc as these are close to the lift, the higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club.

I am pleased to read that, in general, you enjoy staying in the hotel however I was sorry to read about the disturbance you experienced last Sunday evening.

It is relatively unusual to host events on a Sunday however there are events in December before Christmas.

Please contact me directly - stuart.mcgowan@principal-hayley.com so I can ensure your future bookings are in a quieter part of the hotel. I also look forward to having the opportunity to meet you in person.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Booked afternoon tea here as an early Christmas treat. What a mistake. Arrived at 2.45 p.m. Directed to 'sit and wait' in an empty room, the remains of someone's previous afternoon tea still sitting forlornly in one corner.
At 3 p.m. a waitress appeared with pots of tea, milk, two wrapped biscuits and a plate each with a knife fork and napkin which we thought was slightly strange. She informed us that 'he' had just started making our afternoon tea and apologised for being a while as 'the water machine wasn't working properly'.
The tea when we poured it was tepid. At 3.15 p.m. I went to ask at reception what had happened to the afternoon tea, sandwich and cake part and also could we please have some hot tea. Apologies from reception and they would get on to it straight away. At 3.30 p.m. still nothing so we decided it was past a joke and got up to leave. Reception said they were sorry but appeared to be distinctly unconcerned in reality. As we moved towards the door, the waitress re-appeared with yes, 2 more pots of tea! When asked where the food was, she said 'he has only just started doing it'.
Don't go to Selsdon Park Hotel for afternoon tea. Its a lovely old building but the service is appalling and the staff don't seem to care.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent visits.

I was disappointed to read of your experience whilst trying to take afternoon tea and would take this opportunity to express my sincere apologies. As your review is anonymous I am unable to comment or explain why the service was so poor however if you have time, and are willing, I would appreciate more detailed feedback so the team and I can review the specific problems. I can be contact at stuart.mcgowan@principal-hayley.com.

Our team is trained to provide our 'quality wins' level of service and I have shared your review with the relevant managers to ensure improvements are made and maintained. The hotel does serve a fantastic afternoon tea with great views of the golf course and surrounding area and I do hope we can have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Please don't be disappointed, this is not about my stay. This is to say thanks to the management of the hotel. Why you might ask, well my niece was due to be married in late December. Her father (my brother) was taken seriously ill, the doctor advised him that under no circumstances would he be fit enough to attend her wedding after his operation. When she contacted the hotel to inform them they could not have been more helpful. The date was changed to a date, when my brother will be hopefully fit enough to fully enjoy it. No extra costs were incurred. Please book this hotel safe in the knowledge that you will be dealing with professional, compassionate people who will do all they can to assist you and make your time spent with them an absolute pleasure.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Rogboy

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club.

Whilst I was sorry to learn about the family illness, I was of course happy to move the date of the wedding into 2014 and where I am sure you will all have a fantastic and memorable day.

I look forward to meeting you then.