“A very enjoyable mini-break.”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently had a two night mini-break here, with my elderly mother. We live in the area, but just wanted to get away from home and relax. On the whole we had a very nice stay. The room was comfortable and clean, the food was very good and the staff were excellent. The building dates back to the 1920's and has the air of Agatha Christie or Poirot about it. It has a great Victorian interior. It is in green and leafy surroundings and has an amazing rear sun terrace, with views over the countryside. The location is probably the main USP of the hotel. With all of these positives, you could overlook some of the slight maintenance issues here and there. It is old after all. It has the cosy and friendly atmosphere of a country hotel, not a swish modern city hotel. It depends what you're looking for in a break. We did have a couple of issues though. I have a back condition and in the hotel lobby, corridors and rear sun room, the chairs were all very low and unsupportive. Although they looked trendy, their function for the elderly or disabled was not good. A few high-backed armchairs would have been great, to just sit and watch the world go by. The other issue also involved the public areas. There was a conference on while we were there and there were lots of people around with laptops. On our first day, it was sunny, so they were out on the sun terrace, but the following days were wet. During one afternoon about 2pm, we had a swim and then my Mother wanted to sit down somewhere. Every seat downstairs was taken my someone from the conference, using their laptop. It did feel like the public areas were being given over in favour of the business clientele and that the guests on a relaxing break were being pushed out slightly. Those are my only gripes really. I would still go back.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a conference on.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Toby S
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Toby,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay - and thank you for taking the time to provide your observations regarding the conference delegates. Whilst I am unsure on the dates of your stay, I assume it was within the past few weeks where the hotel has hosted a large residential conference where the delegates did 'spread out'. This is relatively unusual so I am sure you will find more relaxing space during your next stay.

Stuart McGowan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,357)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club markets itself as a luxury four-star hotel and golf club. I realise that the labels "luxury" and "four star" can encompass quite a range of different levels of amenities, services and facilities. For me, though, the room, the food and the services at Selsdon Park all fell far short of either "luxury" or "four-star". The room was of average size and contained a bed, table, chairs and a bathroom with bath and shower. However, the bed was old and uncomfortable, the shower produced barely a trickle of water, and the location of the room was a five minute walk through a winding, narrow and rickety hallway. The breakfast was inedible. The scrambled eggs must surely have been reconstituted from powder (if, in fact, they were "eggs" at all!). They were gelatinous, flavorless and, quite frankly, disgusting. Other meals that I took in the hotel were similarly bad. Poor quality food, produced with no imagination and delivered slowly and in odd sequences. There were a few staff members who were kind and attentive, and a continuous coffee and tea service in a room just off of the lobby was very much appreciated, but this could not make up for the overall disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CryptonymT

Dear Cryptom

I am sorry that the hotel and facilities did not meet your expectations however I can assure you that your review comments will be used to ensure improvements are made within the hotel service. I can also advise that a full renovation of the hotel is scheduled for 2015 and I hope to welcome you back when this is complete.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for a night on an inclusive meal package with a room upgrade. From the outside it looks very grand and ornate. However, when we arrived in our room the carpet was very worn and badly fitted. There was a crease in the carpet which could easily have been a trip hazard. Looking closely at the fittings, the handles on the bathroom door didn't even match and looked like they came straight from a council house from the seventies. Then looking at the headboard by the bed it wasn't even straight. On closer inspection it had fallen off its hook that supported it and fixed it to the wall. We only had one bath towel in the room which was quickly rectified after a call to reception. The shower was awful. It looked like it should've been a shower head with adjustable settings but there was only one setting which was like a jet of water pounding on you. We did however sleep well. The free bottle of wine was not to our taste sadly and dinner was average. It did take the staff a long time to clear our plates from the table even when it wasn't that busy. The staff were very helpful and polite which was welcomed. Breakfast however was dreadful. We asked for poached eggs and both times they came out hard boiled. The bacon looked like it had been boiled and the rest of the food didn't look appetising at all. I don't think we will be returning but appreciate that for some this would be acceptable standards. I don't think this could be classed as a 4 star hotel. Unless of course we had the only room with the dodgy carpet, shower head and fittings! Without a doubt the exterior is beautiful, apart from the plaster falling off the funny looking tower coming from the leisure complex, and the grounds are lovely.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Woody278
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Woody

I was sorry to read the detail of your stay. I have shared your information with the team and, in particular, the detail regarding the quality of food and service and breakfast. I have asked Chef to ensure the consistency of the food items and the restaurant manager to ensure that the service is more attentive.

Whilst I am not sure which part of the hotel you stayed in, I am pleased to advise that the hotel is planning a full renovation in the coming year and I do hope that I can welcome you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a stay here where we had a spa package booked. The treatments themselves were lovely if not a bit rushed but this could have something to do with the staff mingling around the reception area moaning about how busy they were and squabbling over who would take which treatment. We had a dinner reservation at 8 in the tempus restaurant and we found the menu to be nice and varied and we easily settled on seperate mains. I had a herby chicken meal and happily tucking into it when I felt something sharp at my throat. After retrieving the item I couldn't work out what it was, only that it shouldnt have been in there. I gave it to the restaurant supervisor who promised to go to the kitchen and find out what it was. Needless to say I was wary on finishing my meal so just had a pudding. Half an hour later there was still no sign of the waitress returning so I asked another to check what was happening. Ten minutes later I was met with a response of 'oh its just a bit of ceramic' well to me I don't want inedible ceramic in my meal. No apologies were made and it took me complaining for anything to be done which was a simple drink. We decided to leave and go to the bar but didnt stay long. Upon getting back Into our room it was quite clear next door where having a party and after several calls to reception the music and screaming finally stopped at 3am! We won't be going back - ruined what should have been an excellent 30th birthday

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eagles1984
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2015

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and i apolgoise for any shortcoming experienced whilst dining with us. Please be assured that our guests health and safety is paramount to us at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club, and folloiwng any reported incident a full investigation is always carried out and followed by appropriately.
The General Manager

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed for one night in the Selsdon Park hotel found it excellent value for money. We were staying on a meal inclusive package which included evening meal breakfast, wine and an upgrade to a superior room.
Superior room was very spacious and had lovely views of the golf course. The shower was also fantastic.
Both our evening meal and breakfast were great! Lovely selection at the breakfast buffet both hot and cold food available. The menu for the evening meal again had a lot of choice and the food was delicious.
The pool sauna and steam room facilities again were fine nice and relaxing and the staff in the pool/spa area were particularly friendly and helpful.
All in all a nice stay for a great price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Lisa

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay including the golf view room and look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am from the U.S.A. i stayed here last year for a conference and I am staying again this year. Last year was a WONDERFUL experience. This year, the experience is even BETTER. Every single employee is extremely helpful, courteous and always smiling. What is interesting is that I got to witness the excellent service with other guests because my table for the conference was right in the lobby. Each day, I sat at the table and witnessed the excellent service. Each guest is treated with a special uniqueness which is rare in other hotels. They certainly made me feel like family. In particular, those who serviced me the most were: Richard, Jade, Wendy, Ana-Marie, Viki, Katarzyna, Maureen, Glenn, Yori, Reinhard, Clare, Osama, Adia, Arsh.

Room Tip: As in any hotel, sometimes the rooms can get loud (weddings, parties, etc.). Ask for a room where t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Paula

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your 'annual' visit to the hotel.

It is great to read you can notice a difference from previous years. The team are working hard to ensure all of our guests receive an 'individual' service and I am really happy to read that you have noted this.

See you next year!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Booked this hotel on trivago, then checked trip advisor and was shocked at the reviews. Couldn't cancel as I took advantage of pay now & get a better rate.
So with trepidation I travelled to london and hoped for the best.
Well I was really pleasantly surprised.
It's great
What a lovely setting, rolling parkland, golf course. Beautiful
I was put in the Sam Torrance suite, great room, well appointed, great comfy clean bed.
I took my golf clubs and played twilight golf for £10, great course (9 over gross, easy greens)
Dinner was great
I can't fault it.
The staff are mostly made up off Eastern European teenagers but they are polite and willing to help.
Stefano in the restaurant is also a great guy. Helpful and friendly
It's my opinion that this hotel is totally misrepresented on tripadvisor please try it and make your own decision.
I will definitely return
Well done Selsdon Park Hotel
Your doing a great job !!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Charles H
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Charles

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you backw hen you are next in the area.

Stuart McGowan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Croydon
Croydon Park Hotel
Jurys Inn London Croydon
Premier Inn London Croydon South (A212) Hotel
Hallmark Hotel London Croydon Aerodrome
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon

Been to De Vere Selsdon Estate? Share your experiences!