“One of the worst hotels I have stayed in!”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Spain
“One of the worst hotels I have stayed in!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had read the many mixed reviews on tripadvisor prior to booking, and decided to go ahead and see for myself. A hotel classified as 4* couldn't be that bad I thought; how wrong I was.

I booked this hotel for a week break with my daughter and elderly mother. We left after the first night. The rooms are dirty, dusty and dated. The food, awful. My bathroom was full of hair in every corner and in the bathtub. I have been fortunate to stay in many hotels in my life; some of the best and some not so good. This ranks as one of the worst. The photos on the hotel website are impressive - it's a lie! This is not a 4* hotel.

The hotel is in desperate need of a facelift. Due to a delayed flight, I arrived at 2am. The hotel main doors were locked. My daughter and I had to wait 30 mins before somebody let us in. On the website the hotel boasts 24 hour check-in. I also requested a ground floor room for my mother; she was placed on the 4th floor with no lifts. She is a diabetic and could not easily access the stairs to go down to the dining room to eat. I was kept awake all night due to a leaking bath tap. The duty staff at reception were discourteous and unhelpful.

Flying from different locations, my mother arrived at the hotel first and pre-warned me of the state of the hotel by telephone. I immediately called the travel company I booked with online and they were apologetic, sympathetic and contacted the hotel on my behalf.

We had paid in full for a 7 nights stay. The travel company fought for us to obtain a full refund, which was successful. The duty manager was extremely apologetic, however, not surprised by our complaints. I'm sure she has dealt with many previously.

My advice to anybody considering booking this hotel – find an alternative. The hotel is due a complete refurb at the beginning of 2015. I would wait till that has been completed.

Room Tip: Don't book!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 1bitesizer
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Bitesizer,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club

Whilst I am genuinely disappointed to read that you did not enjoy the hotel or the facilities, I do hope that my team was able to ensure you were made to feel welcome and whilst I appreciate the hotel was not to your taste, I am glad that a refund was quickly processed for you.

I hope to welcome you back when the refurbishment is complete.

Stuart McGowan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

With immense promise and spectacular grounds the hotel promises a taste of country house living. It's a vast place clearly catering for high volume conference throughput. Today the car park was full of BT vans. A glimpse into the customers rather than a warning about the telephone system. The room is clean although very dated. The fact that TV is an old cathode ray type (big box and not flat screen) let's you know what to expect. £12 for a pizza in the room had a £5 tray charge which feels excessive. Come here on a sunny day to feel refreshed. In the rain you will be sad in your outdated room.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Phil

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

Whilst I a pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and grounds, I am sorry that you found the hotel bedroom to be dated. The Company is planning a full refurbishment of the hotel which I expect to commence in 2015 and I hope to welcome you back when complete.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Faulty Towers is alive and well but has been re-named The Selsdon Park Hotel! Staff couldn't care less, room was boiling hot, key card didn't work (3 separate cards) phone didn't work and nobody have a damn. Badly managed bog standard hotel, would not recommend even to the bloke that sells the big issue in Croydon High Street, so very disappointing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael C
Dear Michael

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy the hotel or the facilities but do hope to welcome you back and restore your faith in Selsdon Park in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 2013 December for the second time for New Years.
love the location and the hotel itself.
the pool and sauna is a little dated but it's very romantic.one of my favourite hotel.would go back any time.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Ivett

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your New Year stay.

I was pleased that you enjoyed the event and details of this years festive activities can be found on our website.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Selsdon park hotel. On arrival we were checked in by a very nice lady quickly and efficiently we were given the choice between ( in the receptionists own words) one of the best rooms in the hotel however on our second night they had a function on and there would be noise until just after midnight or a quieter room further away from the noise. We chose the better room as we are not early to bed people and knew as long as the noise would be ending around midnight it wouldn't effect us.

The room was fab it was huge with a 6ft by 6ft bed ( it was to singles joined but we couldn't feel the join) a massive balcony (we couldn't see any other balcony,s at all on the building) sofa and flat screen tv and a big bathroom.

We had booked via groupon and the deal included 3 course dinner and bottle of wine, we were told at check in to collect our wine from the bar so we arrived 10 mins before our table reservation to collect the wine only to be told we couldn't take the wine into the restaurant which was very disappointing as we then spent £30 on drinks over dinner and ended up bringing the wine home with us so was totally pointless in having the offer (drinks are very expensive) dinner was fab great choice, good quality but by, the time we had finished our mains they were quite busy and service became quite slow and we had to wait nearly half an hour to have our mains cleared and to be offered desert menus.

Breakfast was ok the hot buffet was not hot and the scrambled eggs were awful never tasted eggs like it, the sausages would have been lovely if they weren't cold (this was like it both mornings) there is a good selection but I felt it was all just average.

The second evening we went out and knowing there would be noise we did not rush back we arrived back at quarter past twelve and the disco was still playing but stopped quite quickly and the guests left quite promptly and was quiet not long after quarter to one. This was until 2:30 in the morning when we woken up by banging and general noise which we decided was the staff moving tables and chairs in the function room below us. I know we had been warned about noise but certainly didn,t expect this so late and not by staff.

Overall a great stay and fab room staff pleasant and friendly maybe just need extra staff on when busy to improve service and something to improve keeping breakfast warmer for longer.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Nicola,

I appreciate your detailed review and have shared this with the Management team - which will be used as a great tool to ensure our standards are maintained and improved where noted.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently had a two night mini-break here, with my elderly mother. We live in the area, but just wanted to get away from home and relax. On the whole we had a very nice stay. The room was comfortable and clean, the food was very good and the staff were excellent. The building dates back to the 1920's and has the air of Agatha Christie or Poirot about it. It has a great Victorian interior. It is in green and leafy surroundings and has an amazing rear sun terrace, with views over the countryside. The location is probably the main USP of the hotel. With all of these positives, you could overlook some of the slight maintenance issues here and there. It is old after all. It has the cosy and friendly atmosphere of a country hotel, not a swish modern city hotel. It depends what you're looking for in a break. We did have a couple of issues though. I have a back condition and in the hotel lobby, corridors and rear sun room, the chairs were all very low and unsupportive. Although they looked trendy, their function for the elderly or disabled was not good. A few high-backed armchairs would have been great, to just sit and watch the world go by. The other issue also involved the public areas. There was a conference on while we were there and there were lots of people around with laptops. On our first day, it was sunny, so they were out on the sun terrace, but the following days were wet. During one afternoon about 2pm, we had a swim and then my Mother wanted to sit down somewhere. Every seat downstairs was taken my someone from the conference, using their laptop. It did feel like the public areas were being given over in favour of the business clientele and that the guests on a relaxing break were being pushed out slightly. Those are my only gripes really. I would still go back.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a conference on.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Toby S
Dear Toby,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay - and thank you for taking the time to provide your observations regarding the conference delegates. Whilst I am unsure on the dates of your stay, I assume it was within the past few weeks where the hotel has hosted a large residential conference where the delegates did 'spread out'. This is relatively unusual so I am sure you will find more relaxing space during your next stay.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club markets itself as a luxury four-star hotel and golf club. I realise that the labels "luxury" and "four star" can encompass quite a range of different levels of amenities, services and facilities. For me, though, the room, the food and the services at Selsdon Park all fell far short of either "luxury" or "four-star". The room was of average size and contained a bed, table, chairs and a bathroom with bath and shower. However, the bed was old and uncomfortable, the shower produced barely a trickle of water, and the location of the room was a five minute walk through a winding, narrow and rickety hallway. The breakfast was inedible. The scrambled eggs must surely have been reconstituted from powder (if, in fact, they were "eggs" at all!). They were gelatinous, flavorless and, quite frankly, disgusting. Other meals that I took in the hotel were similarly bad. Poor quality food, produced with no imagination and delivered slowly and in odd sequences. There were a few staff members who were kind and attentive, and a continuous coffee and tea service in a room just off of the lobby was very much appreciated, but this could not make up for the overall disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CryptonymT
Dear Cryptom

I am sorry that the hotel and facilities did not meet your expectations however I can assure you that your review comments will be used to ensure improvements are made within the hotel service. I can also advise that a full renovation of the hotel is scheduled for 2015 and I hope to welcome you back when this is complete.