“Overpriced, poor service, the list goes on”

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Worst hotel I have been to. Even hotels in some of the poorest African countries I have visited had a better service than Selsdon Park Hotel. Very poor and disappointing considering the price and the supposed quality one should be getting. My wife and I arrived at the hotel on our wedding night, having already booked a room online. The receptionist was adamant and augmentative that we hadn’t booked a room. Besides, the quote we had online was not the quote we were given. We had a quote of about £180 online, and at the hotel, we were being quoted over £250 for one night. It took over 15 minutes of back and forth conversations until my wife checked the details on her phone as a confirmation of the rate we received. We were given the card for our room, and as we got to the door of the room, the card was not working. I had to leave my newly wedded wife at the door and walk back to reception to get it sorted. Once sorted I walked back to the door of the room. Upon entering into the room, the shower was broken. There was no air conditioning in the room, bearing in mind this was a very hot evening. The hotel did not even have a fan for us; in this state, it could have been better to spend our wedding night in our room at home. We left the room and went back to the reception where we were given another room to stay. This room was just like the first, it had no aircon, no fan and the shower, although was working cannot be regulated. My wife and I were too tired to complain. We decided to sleep there and never come back. Selsdon Park Hotel, this is the last time you will see us. Overpriced, poor service, poor facilities, what a rip off!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris E
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Chris

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

I was concerned to read your review and, in particular, the problems you encountered with your reservation and the bedroom. As you may be aware, your review is anonymous so I am not able to specifically identify when you stayed so cannot fully investigate the concerns you have raised.

If you do have time and are willing, please contact me directly - stuart.mcgowan@principal-hayley.com with further details otherwise I can assure you that your feedback has been noted and I shall share this with the appropriate manager to ensure improvements are made and maintained.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 6 nights during a conference. Could not get a room till 3pm....had flown from middle east over night and had to sit around from 11am till 3pm till we could be given a key. Check out was at 11am but as the hitel was full of conference attendees who were all vacatinv their roims at 8am on the last day to attend the final day of conference from 8-1pm....yet room services were slow. Never known a 4 star hotel to take 4hrs to get rooms ready?!?!
Room was small, couldn't open suitcase as there was nowhere to lay it. Carpet was old and smelly. Windows didn't shut properly and a few nights we had midgies in the room. The bed was old, lumpy and uncomfortable queen size. It took me three nights without sleep before I finally got 5 hrs out of exhaustion. Even then I was pretty sore. The tv was tiny and had 5 tv channels. It turned itself on and off if you walked past it for unknown reasons.
One morning the spot light in the hallway fell out of the ceiling and hit me on the head...reported it to reception and it was fixed that day.
The shower was powerful but fixed so you could not angle it towards your body or head. The toilet was behind the door and a few times I opened the door and pushed my husband over when he was standing using it!?!!
Every day the corridors were littered with dirty plates from room service. Some were left for over 24hrs!
Breakfast on occasions was good. Some days it was bad. There was an older friendly lady at breakfast who was the best employee in the hotel.
When ordering from the bar it took up to 20 minutes to recieve your order on the terrace. One evening our coffee came with the added surprise of a long hair draped in it. Another evening I paid 6.95 for a glass of wine that came from 2 different bottles- I watched as she poured it?!?! I was too embarrassed to say anything since I pay less than that for an imported wine, from one bottle, in a 5 star hotel in the middle east!?!?!
In all I was not impressed. The outside looks gorgeous but inside it struggles to be more than a 2 star hotel with 3 star service. Very disappointed, sadly it will be affecting my choice to attend the conference again next year if it is held here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Angela F
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2015

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club and please be assured that all feedback is reviewed with the relevant Management Team to ensure any improvements are identified and implemented which may enhance our guests experience.
The General Manager

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had read the many mixed reviews on tripadvisor prior to booking, and decided to go ahead and see for myself. A hotel classified as 4* couldn't be that bad I thought; how wrong I was.

I booked this hotel for a week break with my daughter and elderly mother. We left after the first night. The rooms are dirty, dusty and dated. The food, awful. My bathroom was full of hair in every corner and in the bathtub. I have been fortunate to stay in many hotels in my life; some of the best and some not so good. This ranks as one of the worst. The photos on the hotel website are impressive - it's a lie! This is not a 4* hotel.

The hotel is in desperate need of a facelift. Due to a delayed flight, I arrived at 2am. The hotel main doors were locked. My daughter and I had to wait 30 mins before somebody let us in. On the website the hotel boasts 24 hour check-in. I also requested a ground floor room for my mother; she was placed on the 4th floor with no lifts. She is a diabetic and could not easily access the stairs to go down to the dining room to eat. I was kept awake all night due to a leaking bath tap. The duty staff at reception were discourteous and unhelpful.

Flying from different locations, my mother arrived at the hotel first and pre-warned me of the state of the hotel by telephone. I immediately called the travel company I booked with online and they were apologetic, sympathetic and contacted the hotel on my behalf.

We had paid in full for a 7 nights stay. The travel company fought for us to obtain a full refund, which was successful. The duty manager was extremely apologetic, however, not surprised by our complaints. I'm sure she has dealt with many previously.

My advice to anybody considering booking this hotel – find an alternative. The hotel is due a complete refurb at the beginning of 2015. I would wait till that has been completed.

Room Tip: Don't book!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 1bitesizer
Stuart M, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Bitesizer,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club

Whilst I am genuinely disappointed to read that you did not enjoy the hotel or the facilities, I do hope that my team was able to ensure you were made to feel welcome and whilst I appreciate the hotel was not to your taste, I am glad that a refund was quickly processed for you.

I hope to welcome you back when the refurbishment is complete.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

With immense promise and spectacular grounds the hotel promises a taste of country house living. It's a vast place clearly catering for high volume conference throughput. Today the car park was full of BT vans. A glimpse into the customers rather than a warning about the telephone system. The room is clean although very dated. The fact that TV is an old cathode ray type (big box and not flat screen) let's you know what to expect. £12 for a pizza in the room had a £5 tray charge which feels excessive. Come here on a sunny day to feel refreshed. In the rain you will be sad in your outdated room.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Phil

Whilst I a pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and grounds, I am sorry that you found the hotel bedroom to be dated. The Company is planning a full refurbishment of the hotel which I expect to commence in 2015 and I hope to welcome you back when complete.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Faulty Towers is alive and well but has been re-named The Selsdon Park Hotel! Staff couldn't care less, room was boiling hot, key card didn't work (3 separate cards) phone didn't work and nobody have a damn. Badly managed bog standard hotel, would not recommend even to the bloke that sells the big issue in Croydon High Street, so very disappointing.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael C

Dear Michael

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your recent stay.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy the hotel or the facilities but do hope to welcome you back and restore your faith in Selsdon Park in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 2013 December for the second time for New Years.
love the location and the hotel itself.
the pool and sauna is a little dated but it's very romantic.one of my favourite hotel.would go back any time.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Ivett

Thank you for taking the time to review the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club following your New Year stay.

I was pleased that you enjoyed the event and details of this years festive activities can be found on our website.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Selsdon park hotel. On arrival we were checked in by a very nice lady quickly and efficiently we were given the choice between ( in the receptionists own words) one of the best rooms in the hotel however on our second night they had a function on and there would be noise until just after midnight or a quieter room further away from the noise. We chose the better room as we are not early to bed people and knew as long as the noise would be ending around midnight it wouldn't effect us.

The room was fab it was huge with a 6ft by 6ft bed ( it was to singles joined but we couldn't feel the join) a massive balcony (we couldn't see any other balcony,s at all on the building) sofa and flat screen tv and a big bathroom.

We had booked via groupon and the deal included 3 course dinner and bottle of wine, we were told at check in to collect our wine from the bar so we arrived 10 mins before our table reservation to collect the wine only to be told we couldn't take the wine into the restaurant which was very disappointing as we then spent £30 on drinks over dinner and ended up bringing the wine home with us so was totally pointless in having the offer (drinks are very expensive) dinner was fab great choice, good quality but by, the time we had finished our mains they were quite busy and service became quite slow and we had to wait nearly half an hour to have our mains cleared and to be offered desert menus.

Breakfast was ok the hot buffet was not hot and the scrambled eggs were awful never tasted eggs like it, the sausages would have been lovely if they weren't cold (this was like it both mornings) there is a good selection but I felt it was all just average.

The second evening we went out and knowing there would be noise we did not rush back we arrived back at quarter past twelve and the disco was still playing but stopped quite quickly and the guests left quite promptly and was quiet not long after quarter to one. This was until 2:30 in the morning when we woken up by banging and general noise which we decided was the staff moving tables and chairs in the function room below us. I know we had been warned about noise but certainly didn,t expect this so late and not by staff.

Overall a great stay and fab room staff pleasant and friendly maybe just need extra staff on when busy to improve service and something to improve keeping breakfast warmer for longer.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nicola,

I appreciate your detailed review and have shared this with the Management team - which will be used as a great tool to ensure our standards are maintained and improved where noted.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.