When my golf society told me they had booked us for a 2 night dinner, bed and breakfast deal here, I thought...wow what a cracking deal. I remebered this hotel from pre-FA Cup final reports on BBC etc with one of the teams strolling around the grounds before getting on the coach to Wembley. The website also showed this wonderful building with lovely grounds and gave it a real 'wow' factor. When we turned up the West Ham team were leaving to play Crystal Palace and I thought this is going to be good. Well my illusion was 'destroyed' by the end of the first evening. Believe the reviews - this place is utter rubbish and clearly unless you are a Premier league footballer or have booked your £10k wedding there they do not give a monkeys about you.
Here are the highlights (only one positive!)
Golf Course - a challenge but great for our competition. Really good of them to let us out with buggies on a dreadful weather day on Monday
Golf Course - NO RANGE BALLS for Sunday...apparently not enough staff to collect them on Saturday night
Rooms - We were put down on what I would call G Wing. No not a prison block (well maybe) but clearly where they put all the golf weekenders. Rooms dated, old furniture, dodgy window sills, powerless showers (either scolding or cold), bathrooms need total revamp. Cheap feel (had I come here and got these rooms for a weekend with wife I would have been furious)
Fire Alarm - Appreciate you cant stop a fire alarm but to see no one in Fire Marshall outfit, nor staff appearing to help guests when gathering I think Health and Safety Executive would have a field day. When we went back to our rooms after Fire Brigade gave all clear there were still people coming out of rooms?? Surely they should be checking.
Bar - appeared to be one bar that was trying to do drinks for everything and everyone with limited staff (clearly trying to do things on cheap labour cost) - very expensive £4 for a tepid coffee! Get yoursefl down the lcoal Wetherspoons as so as you can
Food - we were put with other society and other guests squashed into room at far end of hotel. Now my food was just about ok but 10 of our party had cold vegatables and mash (looked like and tasted like snow) and two chickens were pink! Were given free round of drinks to compensate. Other party members also viewed some of the 'food handling' in the kitchen - I did not see so cannot comment but would suggest you read other reviews about this. We were seated at 8pm and did not finish until 1030pm. Other guest complaining as well. Breakfast was almost as bad with no organisation, struggle to get coffee, queues galore, lack of staff, cold bacon, cold scrambled eggs and tepid baked beans. Food on 2nd night was better but again took 2 and half hours to complete.
No General manager on duty all weekend neither did they seem to be anyone wanting to handle our organisers complaints.
Felt sorry for the staff as clearly there was not enough to handle 4 weddings on Saturday and looked like same Sunday. If you are going to do these events MAKE SURE YOU ARE FULLY STAFFED TO COPE.
The group running this hotel needs to take a long hard look at itself. It is not cheap to stay there but clearly they want to do things on the cheap. Sooooo disappointing and all my illusions destroyed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Et in 200 acres of beautiful Surrey countryside, De Vere Selsdon Estate is an historic country mansion with an 18 hole championship golf course, luxury beauty treatment rooms and well-appointed leisure club. Perfect for large scale business events in the area as well as romantic weddings, this picturesque setting also features extensive grounds ideal for outdoor team-building and celebrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, Lastminute, Superbreak UK, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your De Vere Selsdon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selsdon Park & Golf Course Hotel Croydon
- Selsdon Park And Golf Course
- Selsdon Park Hotel Course
- Selsdon Park Croydon
- De Vere Selsdon Estate Croydon, Surrey