“Shambolic doesnt even cover it” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Selsdon Estate

De Vere Selsdon Estate
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
london
“Shambolic doesnt even cover it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

We booked this hotel through Spa breaks for the 4 of us to get a bit of relaxation, after leaving on the Monday morning I was far from relaxed.

The day started with a quick drink in the over priced and under staffed bar. We then moved on to our pre booked treatments in the spa where we were told there were no robes or slippers. The general repair of facilities was terrible, the lockers are difficult to open due to the age and there is no private changing facilities. The corridors around the changing rooms stink of sewage and one of the squash courts was filled with water bottles.

On the Sunday there were four weddings in the hotel and its impossible to move around the hotel without gate crashing wedding photos, wedding guests are all hanging around in the corridors or reception and there is no co-ordination from the staff. The rooms are not what I expect from a 4* hotel.

Due to the weddings we were booked into another room for dinner and were seated at 8:30pm, starters arrived an hour later and 2 of our party ordered soup but despite repeated requests were not provided soup spoons or bread. Mains arrived another hour later and myself and my partner sent it back and went without, the chicken was tough and potatoes raw. Desserts were served at 11:15pm after we were asked three times for our order as they kept loosing tickets. We were also forced to listen to thumping wedding music throughout. One bit of credit has to go to Stefano as after I explained I was using the spa break to propose to my girlfriend he provided a bottle of champagne as a sorry for the meal. I heard at least seven other tables complaining so it wasn't just us. Staff were also having full blown arguments in front of the room which was very unprofessional.

I did complain in the morning and was given a full refund but I couldn't wait to leave. I have put a complaint highlighting the problems but I got the standard response of come back and spend more money so we can show you that we can get things right.

I certainly wont be booking this hotel for my wedding.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shaun01uk
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 28 April 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured that we make every effort to resolve any issue that is brought to our attention prior to our guests departure. We also have a Quality Wins which meet regularly to review our guests feedback and please be assured that your comments will be noted and reviewed by them to identify any training or improvements we may implement to enhance our guests experience. We do hope you will return in the future to experience any changes we make.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
portsmouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel with 16 friends for a golf stag weekend, on driving into the hotel was very impressive, that's when it stopped, check in was very slow, some had to wait over 2 hours for rooms even after turning up after 2.00 pm, food was very slow in restaurant at dinner ,( probably because of the amount of weddings going on,) but 3 hours for dinner was not very good, waiter tipped a whole tray of drinks over 2 of my party with no compensation at all offered even though we spent over £200 on wine at the table, rooms very dated, fire alarms kept going off, unfortunate as the hotel is in a lovely position and could offer so much more, breakfast in the morning was chaos, no cutlery available, saying this though we enjoyed the weekend because of the golf, this was a lovely course and gave us a chance to get away from the chaos.

Room Tip: sorry do not know if they have good rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank leelegend49
SPHGC, General Manager at De Vere Selsdon Estate, responded to this review, 27 April 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologise for any shortcoming you expereinced whilst staying with us. Please be assured that we are continally reviewing the service and standards throughout the property and you feedback with be reviewed with the Management Team. We hope your will return in the future to experience any improvements we may make.
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We did not have the best stay at the Selsdon Park Hotel this Bank Holiday weekend. We had to wait nearly 2 hours after the 3:00pm time to check in and when we did the room was not particularly clean. There were a number of weddings and functions taking place and a significant number of people complaining too, including me! I will however, say that Jade (on reception) handled the complaints extremely well. Jade was both professional and polite and listened patiently to what I had to say. At no time did she try to make excuses, she merely apologised and did her utmost to resolve the problem. Given the chaos at the hotel I would normally think twice about staying there again, however because of the way Jade dealt with matters we are likely to return sooner rather than later. Jade should be congratulated on how she manages such difficult situations and she is a good ambassador for the hotel. It is just a shame that there are not more 'Jades' working at the hotel. Thank you Jade - KN

Room Tip: For a quiet room ask for a room away from the party rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Karen N
ringmer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

When my golf society told me they had booked us for a 2 night dinner, bed and breakfast deal here, I thought...wow what a cracking deal. I remebered this hotel from pre-FA Cup final reports on BBC etc with one of the teams strolling around the grounds before getting on the coach to Wembley. The website also showed this wonderful building with lovely grounds and gave it a real 'wow' factor. When we turned up the West Ham team were leaving to play Crystal Palace and I thought this is going to be good. Well my illusion was 'destroyed' by the end of the first evening. Believe the reviews - this place is utter rubbish and clearly unless you are a Premier league footballer or have booked your £10k wedding there they do not give a monkeys about you.

Here are the highlights (only one positive!)

Golf Course - a challenge but great for our competition. Really good of them to let us out with buggies on a dreadful weather day on Monday

Golf Course - NO RANGE BALLS for Sunday...apparently not enough staff to collect them on Saturday night

Rooms - We were put down on what I would call G Wing. No not a prison block (well maybe) but clearly where they put all the golf weekenders. Rooms dated, old furniture, dodgy window sills, powerless showers (either scolding or cold), bathrooms need total revamp. Cheap feel (had I come here and got these rooms for a weekend with wife I would have been furious)

Fire Alarm - Appreciate you cant stop a fire alarm but to see no one in Fire Marshall outfit, nor staff appearing to help guests when gathering I think Health and Safety Executive would have a field day. When we went back to our rooms after Fire Brigade gave all clear there were still people coming out of rooms?? Surely they should be checking.

Bar - appeared to be one bar that was trying to do drinks for everything and everyone with limited staff (clearly trying to do things on cheap labour cost) - very expensive £4 for a tepid coffee! Get yoursefl down the lcoal Wetherspoons as so as you can

Food - we were put with other society and other guests squashed into room at far end of hotel. Now my food was just about ok but 10 of our party had cold vegatables and mash (looked like and tasted like snow) and two chickens were pink! Were given free round of drinks to compensate. Other party members also viewed some of the 'food handling' in the kitchen - I did not see so cannot comment but would suggest you read other reviews about this. We were seated at 8pm and did not finish until 1030pm. Other guest complaining as well. Breakfast was almost as bad with no organisation, struggle to get coffee, queues galore, lack of staff, cold bacon, cold scrambled eggs and tepid baked beans. Food on 2nd night was better but again took 2 and half hours to complete.

No General manager on duty all weekend neither did they seem to be anyone wanting to handle our organisers complaints.

Felt sorry for the staff as clearly there was not enough to handle 4 weddings on Saturday and looked like same Sunday. If you are going to do these events MAKE SURE YOU ARE FULLY STAFFED TO COPE.

The group running this hotel needs to take a long hard look at itself. It is not cheap to stay there but clearly they want to do things on the cheap. Sooooo disappointing and all my illusions destroyed.

Room Tip: Avoid anything that starts with a G
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank golfmonk
hever
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We've stayed in the Selsdon Park a good few times over the past few years and sad t say its just going further and further downhill, the place feels tired and unloved, there is little obvious investment in the building itself, the room we were showed to had an electrical fitting hanging off the wall, the headboard fell off the wall on its own and there were loose tiles in the bathroom, the staff moved us to a better room, via corridors with threadbare carpet. the second room was much better but still very tired with ill fitting windows and old worn carpet. room service took ages and they brought completely the wrong order then returned with the correct item and the now cold fries from the original order. not at all how things used to be when this was really quite a fine hotel. they seem to have fallen into the trap of offering cheaper prices to gain occupancy but therefore nto making much money and thus having nothing in the pot to invest.. Shame

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I booked Selsdon through Amazon Local, £99 for one night, dinner, breakfast and late checkout.
Seemed like a good deal, wish I had looked at the reviews on here first! It was our first break away in a year!!

We got to the hotel at around 3.45pm and there was a que at reception, this you expect on a bank holiday weekend, there were loads of people going through reception, and it was obvious there were some functions going on.
We were served by a nice polite lady, she explained everything well although the first time available to book for dinner was 9pm, I got the impression all the Amazon bookings were pushed into the later less desirable time slot. We made our way to our room.... This is where it started to go wrong!! We walked in to what I can only describe as 1989. The room was very dated, and the tv..... Was an old type with a huge back on it and buttons on the front!! You would expect a flat screen tv, and...... Only channels 1-5... It was really confusing too as to how you worked the films in demand too. (These you pay extra for and you have to ask reception to turn them on!)
The tap in the bathroom you had to turn about 20 times before any water would come out and the shower rail was coming out of the ceiling. We were in room 301, it seemed as though if you had booked through Amazon you got the worst rooms.
The bed however was king size and comfy, the room was very tight too, not much room to get around the bed or out the door.
We went for a walk around the hotel but were instantly lost and confused, the weddings going in were spilling out into corridors and bars, at one point we had to walk through a wedding party in full swing to get to reception!! It felt like we were intruding! This happened a few times.
We went down for dinner at 9 pm. The resteraunt was clearly being used for a wedding so we were sent to a room with tables in it, no one working in the room seemed to have a clue what was going on, the tables had no numbers, it was as though they had been asked to run it as a resteraunt but hadn't been told what they had to do!!
Everyone was getting bread to their tables but ours didn't arrive till we had almost finished our starter, soup. We ordered a coke each, they came and were flat, we sent them back for replacements, which were flat also, we sent them back too and went with the water.
Soup was nice, for main I had the Chicken with rosti I potatoes and veg, it was awful, rosti was disgusting and raw, chicken was so dry.
My husband had the salmon and said it was ok but really small.
I then had the cheese board which was laughable, rubbery cheddar, and the tiniest triangle of Brie and blue cheese. There were about 5 crackers.... One of them was a ritz biscuit. :-/
Desert didn't come until 10.45.
We went to reception to ask if they could turn on the movies in our room so we could pay for a film, we were informed that it was not working...
The next morning we were not in the best spirits, wedding disco went on till around mid night and it was banging, and when we saw the que for breakfast we didn't even bother and left.

Although I thought £99 was a good deal I feel like I've wasted nearly £100. Nothing we got was worth the money and I'm looking for a refund.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Taunton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We booked two rooms and upgraded one to a superior one. Superior!!! It was in an awful state. There were large holes in the dirty looking carpet. Cracked tiles on the bathroom floor. The television was ancient and no batteries in the remote. The pillows were hard and the quilt was very old and had hardly any stuffing in.
The standard room which they couldn't get into until 5.30 and was over the other side of the hotel had a radiator that must have been leaking for ages making the carpet smell and stained. The bedside lights were over the other side of the room. An old table obviously re placed a bedside table. The best thing about this room was a modern tele!

At breakfast they obviously hadn't put enough tables out as the queue was very long and took ages to clear. It was self service and poor quality food. Even had to get our own tea and coffee out of pots that were either stewed or empty. Priority as given to the wedding parties at the expense of other guests making us feel that we weren't important.
The drinks in the bar are expensive and it's not cheap to stay there. Not value for money in fact a waste of money.

We have stayed in this hotel quite a few times but certainly won't be going there again. It's certainly gone downhill.

Room Tip: Sorry none.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Barry H
Dear Guest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croydon
Croydon Park Hotel
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Jurys Inn London Croydon
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club

Been to De Vere Selsdon Estate? Share your experiences!