“Expensive, good fish and chips, had a service error” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of McDermott's

McDermott's
Ranked #1 of 458 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Greater Cleveland
“Expensive, good fish and chips, had a service error”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I arrived in England and the first thing I did was go to this place. They accept credit cards and I didn't have any cash and wasn't planning on getting any in England at any time. The fish here is good. It tastes fresh and has a great batter. That being said, a regular order of fish and chips is £12.80 which is pretty expensive, especially in USD. Also, mushy peas, which normally come with a fish and chips meal, are an additional 85 pence. We ordered our meals and enjoyed them. I would personally add salt to your mushy peas because they don't season them. I try to pay and they say the credit card machine is broken. They ask if I would be willing to use an ATM that is next door and retrieve cash from it to pay for my meal. I walk over there and the ATM is down. We walk back into the restaurant and tell them it is down. Instead of offering to comp our meals because of their credit card issue, they suggest we walk down the street to a gas station and use the ATM there. I probably should have just walked out and never returned, but I did that. So I had to incur the fees of using an international ATM and walk down the street to get cash. Not a great service experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ClevelandBeachBoy

“Great food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have been twice in this restaurant. The service is outstanding and the fish and chips are delicious . Prices are very affordable. We definately will be back !

Croydon, United Kingdom
“The fish is the star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

An eatery that focusses on doing just a few things really well? This has to be a good thing....

I haven't eaten at every fish and chip shop in the UK so I can't say whether it's the best or not. But there's no doubt the fish really is very good - as fresh as you like and perfectly cooked to order with a crisp light batter and not a trace of greasiness. The chips are pretty good for a takeaway. Mushy peas and tartare sauce were also good, with plenty of flavour. At these prices, however, you should expect all of this.

It's not really a restaurant though, more of a takeaway with a cafe attached with friendly table service. The Forestdale centre is pretty drab 1960's with small window sizes compared to the room depth so the inside is pretty dark and tired with no perceptible air movement. So, on a warm and humid lunchtime we were practically steaming whilst eating the hot food. Not a great experience and I think next time we'd be tempted to get takeaway and sit in the park instead.

If fish & chips in Croydon takes your fancy then I think it'll be a struggle to find better food. It's just worth being aware that as a pleasant sit-down eating experience it can't match a number of other local restaurants. It's just not that kind of place. You pay your money and take your choice....

London, United Kingdom
“Never changes, always improves”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We went back to McDermotts, to the take-away , for a huge number of portions for visiting Canadians. We were served, despite the huge order, quickly, efficiently, helpfully and smilingly.....and the Cod and Haddock and Chips were all, as everyone has testified and our visitors too,smilingly, about as good as you could ever hope to get. It really is the best fish and chips in the UK and that's no exaggeration.

• Visited June 2014
“First rate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Cod and chips, cooked to perfection....sounds easy, but how many others get it so wrong. Even better than seaside fish and chips.

• Visited June 2014