“Would not use again”

Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Would not use again”
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

I had the room at the front, ground floor and next to reception. Until 1am Was constantly woken up by people walking out the front to smoke and hearing them talking outside the window. Also had to listen to reception phone ringing which kept waking me up.

Staff were friendly but room location and noise let them down.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank CraigRayleigh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed at the Hayesthorpe hotel for 7 days. First negative I saw was no lift. I understand it's a small old building so it's not possible to get one but going to the top floor with heavy bags is a struggle.

Staff were very friendly. Was able to stand and talk to one of the receptionist for nearly an hour one day. All receptionists I met greeted me on my entrance and exit each day.

Room was very small and the floor creaked every step. Wasn't able to walk around without making loud noises. Same goes for my neighbours. Positive was that it was very clean. Maids came in every day to make the bed and change the bins.

Bathroom was quite small but clean. Water pressure was terrible and in the 7 days I was there I got hot water once. The other times it was just lukewarm.

Beds were comfortable, tv had all the freeview channels, there was a bedside table, a desk with a chair, a chest of drawers and a wardrobe with enough room for my luggage.

The worst part of my stay was the location. It's in the middle of nowhere. You have to walk for nearly 10 minutes up a steep hill from the main road to get to the hotel. Once on the main road there are a number of good cafes that offer good meals for cheap but that's all that's close. It's a long walk or a short bus ride to Croydon town centre.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Upon arrival it seemed a nice place, until I entered. The hallways were filled with rubbish and smelt. Arriving in the room i was utterly Shocked the carpet was that filthy I refused to take my shoes off. I pulled back the sheets on the bed and they were filthy. The pillows were solid and the quilt smelt. The bathroom had clearly not been cleaned since the last people who stayed there was excrement on the wall and the water was brown in the toilet. The next morning I asked for a cuppa and got told I was only allowed to drink in the bedroom. I decided enough was enough and left and had breakfast in the local cafe. Might as well of slept in the car.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Metallady616
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I am writing this review on behalf of the company I work for as we have to book rooms for engineers that travel around the UK. Upon arriving at this hotel the engineer found that the room was a complete mess. There was rubbish on the floor next to the bed, the sheets were dirty and even ripped and the shower room was disgusting. Our engineer went to complain to the reception desk who offered to show him another room but this was just as bad. In the end, he had to leave late in the evening and find somewhere else to stay - that is how bad it is.

After learning about this we then contacted the hotel the following day to get a refund as it was not down to us that he could no stay there and the hotel simply chose to ignore any emails and simply 'take a message' on the phone to get back to us. Eventually they admitted that our engineer had been there, but did not admit that he had been shown another room or complained. They then said that our claims about the room were blatant lies and so we said that we had photographic evidence. They persisted that others do not complain and if the rooms were as we had described that they would surely not be in business. I directed them to this website to show them how many other people have been offended by their hotel and even had more photos of the state of the accommodation.

That was the last we heard from the Hayesthorpe Hotel and they have never refunded us the £88 they took for an unlivable room. DISGUSTING ROOM, SERVICE and UNPROFESSIONAL business. Avoid like the plague! Please may their prediction of 'being out of business' come true.

Room Tip: Don't touch any with a 12 foot barge pole.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank TheMiniMinx
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

was at best poor walked in walked out the smell, the mould, the living carpet. would never tell people i disliked to stop here

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2011

very bad place to stay poor room quality hard bed's and pillow's
room's were smelly, corridor to the room's stank of mold.

Room Tip: high room's have noise from water tank's very poor sleep
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lee h
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Terrible, smelly, dirty curtains, soggy smelly bed
My room is 3mx1.5m for £70

That's a joke

Avoid it like the plague

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business