“It's not worth to stay in Croydon”

Holiday Inn Express London Croydon
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Germany Berlin, Stuttgart
“It's not worth to stay in Croydon”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stains on the carpet and on the sofa, mould in the shower, internet costs extra. Maybe this works for UK-Greater-London-standards but not for me and not at this price. Anyway: staff was very helpfull, location is ok and relatively quiet in the center of town just besides the main shopping area and malls. Tramline in front of the hotel, 5 minutes walk to East Croydon station with frequent trains every few minutes to London (16-19 min). But if you want to visit London there are better options in other villages.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
managerex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Guest,

May I offer my sincerest thanks for the review you have left.

I apologise that your room did not meet with our usual high standards on this occasion, but I would like to assure you that we are in the process of refitting carpets and that the maintenance team are renewing the silicone in the shower.

I will contact you personally to further discuss each point with you.

Warmest Regards
Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed at HIX-Croydon when visiting London for a weekend trip with friends. The room rates were great and included free wifi and breakfast. Rooms were clean and spacious enough, even with a rollaway bed situated in the room. Hotel location was about a 10-minute walk from the train station for easy access to central London. I found the service at the hotel to be excellent, the front desk staff were able to assist me in re-printing my flight's itinerary at the last minute before we left.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, 14 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our hotel. It’s very pleasing to hear that you found everything to your satisfaction and that the front desk staff were able to assist you. Many thanks !

Cheshire
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Whilst I could not fault the location of this hotel in respect of the tram service to Wimbledon, (but not unfortunately as regards driving a car there and parking), apart from that the two nights we stayed there felt like we were in an overpriced youth hostel. We were situated on the 9th floor which we realised next morning was a "smoking" floor - although we had asked for a non smoking room - was unaware that anyone was allowed to smoke in bedrooms anymore anyway but we did notice the smell and the cigarette burn on the chair in the room. The room was furnished minimalisticly, we had to ask for extra tea and milk as there was only one each of everything. The bathroom was ok except for the sink tap which I cleaned myself before using it. Parking was a nightmare - managed to get one of only 4 spots (£12 per night) outside the hotel only to have to stand guard on it next morning whilst members of a young orchestra waited for their coach and there was a danger of cellos falling over and violin cues sticking out of rucksacks scratching my car. Still better than parking in the multi-storey at £9 which looked like it was in a very rough area. The breakfast was the worst - hot breakfast is sausages (ok) (baked beans - which I never eat) and tasteless scrambled egg that for some reason was full of black lumps (both mornings). Other than that if you just want toast (no marmalade however) plus grapefruit, yoghurt and coffee (the cappucino was good), it was ok but not for the price we paid - result of my partner thinking I said book Holiday Inn when in fact I said the Hilton in Croydon (which I have stayed in twice before and which would have cost half the price with far superior facilities)(the only disadvantage of it not being right next to the tram). Wont be staying again

Room Tip: Dont stay on the 9th floor unless you smoke. Unless you are travelling by public transport do not ev...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the opportunity to leave a review on our hotel. I will be in contact with you personally to go through each point with you.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here.the hotel was very clean,staff friendly and pleasant,the rooms were great and i did not experience noise from other rooms.the location was very difficult to find but after asking a friendly man at the train station we made it..this is the perfect location for travelling to london its a 5min walk from east croydon station and a train goes to london victoria every 2mins..if u are going to travel to london daily and are sight seeing id advise to purchase a travelcard..any other questions about london id advise to go to croydons vistor centre which is located beside east croydon station..i enjoyed my stay in east croydon and would stay in hoilday inn if i returned

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Leicester94
, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Guest

I wish to express my sincerest thanks for such a lovely review on our hotel. we very much look forward to accommodating you again if you are in the area.

Best Regards
Reviewed 24 June 2012

It comes to something when you stay in a hotel room and you spend all night being entertained by the rooms either side of you who have decided to stay up all night talking!
The rooms are poorly sound insulated, the service is non existent and the staff are conspicuous by their absence. The breakfast is awful and nothing can prepare you for the taste of the vended coffee. Be afraid, very afraid!!!
Having stayed at many a holiday inn this hotel has to be the worse one in the group. Do not stay.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Bobtheblindman
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our hotel, I will be in contact with you personally to address each issue raised by you.

Kent, UK
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I booked this hotel online, for £59 (including VAT) on a best flexible rate.

We got off the train at East Croydon, and it took approximately 10 minutes to walk to the hotel. It's tucked away between buildings, but if you turn into Frith Road, you cannot miss it. The parking situation is a little more complicated - the hotel only has 1 space and that's for a disabled driver, however they do let you drive round to check in, then move your car into the secure car park attached to the mall opposite.

My Platinum Priority Club (loyalty) membership wasn't acknowledged upon arrival, nor were we given any in-room extras, but the stay overall more than made up for this. The receptionist was very polite and our room was of a decent standard (big flat screen TV, comfortable bed and very clean throughout). We also had a great nights sleep as there was little/no internal or external noise.

Breakfast is of a typical Holiday Inn Express standard and efficient enough.

The check out procedure was a breeze, and the hotel can add your parking costs to your bill (and validate your ticket). Overall a decent hotel, and we would definitely stay here again if in the Croydon area and/or on a strict budget (travel from East Croydon to London Bridge is very quick and inexpensive if you purchase a Travelcard).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments; I am more than pleased that you found the hotel to be of satisfaction.

I apologize that your Platinum Membership level was not acknowledged on this occasion, alas we do not have room upgrades at an express as all rooms are standard.

Thank you again we very much appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Best Regards
gloucester
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Well located, extremely clean hotel. I always find that the cleanliness and making up of the room is excellent. I haven't parked onsite but it can be a little confusing finding the place but that is not really the hotels fault. Staff seem friendly and all in all for a low cost hotel this is excellent.

Room Tip: High floors away from lifts
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Croydon, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Guest

I am extemely grateful for your kind comments, we very much appreciate the time and effort taken. Thank you.

Deputy Manager.