“South Park HOSTEL”

Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Croydon
Boldon Colliery
“South Park HOSTEL”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I booked this hotel because of its location, reasonable price, free parking and breakfast and because it had availability. I later learned that I should have studied the hotel website closer before making a booking.
After booking a confirmation email was received outlining terms and conditions and offering early check-in by request. I telephoned the hotel and requested early check-in which was verbally confirmed but when we arrived, just before noon, we were told that early check-in was not possible. Our plan was to park the car and head into the city from East Croydon station, approximately a mile from the hotel. The hotel offers also complimentary shuttle service to East Croydon and South Croydon railway stations but, when we requested this, we were directed to the bus stop over the road.
We spent the day in the city and returned to the hotel later that night. We checked in and were shown to our room through a series of cluttered corridors and stairways (there were mattresses, boxes, bags of laundry and occasionally people lying around for the duration of our stay). En route to the room, we were given a tour of the large kitchen and all of its facilities and were told that this was where we could cook our own breakfast. The fridge was well stocked with bacon, eggs, hot dogs, fruit juices, milk, bread, jams etc. but the idea of cooking our own breakfast in a hotel seemed completely alien to us. I looked at the hotel website and indeed it does state 24 hour self service breakfast. Lesson learned!
The room and bathroom were very clean and equipped with all the usual facilities. There was a small flat screen TV coupled with a digital box, both of which had to be switched on at the same time to get any channel. However, if you want to use the fan on the wall to cool the room, you will have to switch off the television or digital box, as there are only two available sockets. Also, only one hand towel and one bath towel were provided between the two of us.
When we returned to the hotel after a trip out on day two we were unable to open our room door. A visit to reception confirmed that our key had been deactivated and needed to be set up again. I later wondered how we would have accessed our room if we’d returned after 11pm when the reception was closed.
In short, the room was clean but if I'd wanted to cook my own breakfast I would have booked a room in a hostel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paradiddler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Manchester
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed here last weekend and all I can say is, it was nice, clean, friendly staff, rooms on the small side but comfortable. Free wifi, good connection. Transport links into London was very good, approx. 25 minutes on the train. Breakfast was included, they provide the bacon, you cook it yourself in a well equipped and clean kitchen. Brilliant idea we thought, although we didn't actually use it.....

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank lindeboom222
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hotel is under new management, they have introduced new things, such as cooking facilities, washing and tumble dryer, also cereal and bits and pieces for breakfast. There is an area for people to relax away from the hotel room, meet new people, watch tv, eat and drink.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room in the new section, although nearby there are new houses being built, a small...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The hotel was basic but clean. Reception staff were very laid back and we only saw them on registering. After that every time we left or entered the hotel the reception was unmanned. Having said that, we had what we needed. Mobile reception was poor and we couldn't get the internet on our iPad because of the poor signal.
The hotel is not far from the tram stop into Croydon and it is then only 20 minutes to Central London ( Victoria Station). A budget hotel ( £70 cheaper than the Premier Inn we have stayed in before)
Not the best hotel we've ever stayed in but certainly good enough for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I have styed here on a few occasions and never been disappointed. Very helpful staff. The rooms are clean and tidy. The restaurant is excellent. The room rates are very competitive. I work in Croydon 3or 3 times a month and will only stay here. I've tried other hotels but they are very expensive for the same service.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sylvester555
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I booked via late rooms for two nights. Arrived at approx 7pm to an unwelcoming and tense looking Asian lady. She seemed to want to scrutinize and didn't seem welcoming at all. I paid £120 the room decor was very old and the wallpaper needs stripping and new paper needs to be PUT UP!!

The worst thing about it was the WIFI - it cost 5 pounds per night and it was limited to one device at a time. I was unable to use my phone and laptop at the same time. I questioned this and was told its £5 per device or log out from one to another. what a rip off!!!

They also charged my card and then took cash off me. i was refunded but had to press to obtain the receipt.

The bath area wasn't too bad and they had a new TV.that plus!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Tyrone q
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We stayed and had a family room the carpet was very dirty with Staines and marks all over.
There was no blind or curtain in the bathroom and as it was on a main road you could see everything from the street no privacy at all.
The deco was cheap and wallpaper was falling off the wall and the paintwork was dirty.
The smell of the Indian restaurant below was so potent in the room it made it difficult to sleep.
The staff didn't seemed to bothered about any of the points above when I tried to speak to them regarding the problems.
Although the staff where helpful when ordering taxis etc.
For the price we paid it was not worth it, I can not comment on the other rooms but the family room in my opinion I think should have been presented to a high level to match the price.
I have stayed in luxury hotels for the same price and have stayed in much better premier inns and travel lodges for half the price.

• Stayed November 2012