“Dark - like pubs used to be.”
Review of Bell

Bell
Ranked #33 of 49 Restaurants in East Molesey
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Good points: Great location, dark like pubs used to be, spacious, no piped music, acceptable if unexciting beer (limited choice, Directors, Courage Best, Blacksheep) large decent garden with some slides for kids, small car park, newspaper, a landlord and bar staff who are trying hard.

Bad points: The outside is no guide to the inside. This pub could be a jewel but it is shabby, needs a good clean and a lick of paint. Visited at weekend, daytime, late April 2012 and the heating was set uncomfortably high. Door onto garden banged shut loud and endlessly by returning smokers - please Mr Landlord attach a device to make it close quietly.

Neutral points: Middle-aged local men hogged the bar (as is their right) but this forced everyone else to squeeze through an extremely narrow passage to get to the main room.

There is a new generic menu (laminated easywipe plastic) which offers a wide rage of cheap meals as determined by the brewery rather than the pub cook. Nothing fancy but acceptable grub at fair prices which is sometimes exactly what you want.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

It says 1430 on the front of the pub,does food,small car park,but large Council car park nearby.Load of charactor, with a crooked apearance of the frontage,a large garden at rear with play area for children.A real old pub and full of regulars.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

The Bell is in an especially pretty bit of East Molesey, tucked away from the high street and the Hampton Court shops. This pub is very pretty on the outside if a bit unprepossessing on the inside. There is no piped music, the seats are comfortable, there are lots of little seating areas and no smells. The tables could use a good sanding. There is a TV at the bar.

The menu is a bit slick, but the food was sound. If this cozy place has a main weakness it is the food, which feels mass produced. It seemed odd to me that aside from the children's menu all the burgers were doubles. I mean, why not offer one plain single burger and salad? The prices are fair for what you get, though; and better value for money than you'll find in Hampton Court village. My food came quickly, was tasty and made me happy.

I understand the economics of ketchup packets and pots of UHT milk, but I can't help thinking that having little jars of condiments and little jugs of milk with coffee would make things just that little bit nicer.

The bar staff were very friendly both to me and my dog, and accommodated special requests for my lunch. They were solicitous and happy to take a drink and a coffee order from my table rather than making me order from the bar.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

We come here about once a couple of times a month for dinner and drinks...the design of the pub is lovely, old and cosy with an ok atmosphere.

Every time we eat here we always have some kind of problem with our food...Its not what we asked for, it's undercooked, or they don't even have the food in stock and have only informed us once the rest lf our meals had been served. I could excuse an odd time, but this happens every time we go in there.

Also, the customer service is appalling! They mess up every single time and when trying to complain, you just get dirty looks from the staff. They are very unfriendly and even took my partners plate away whilst in the middle of eating the other day! Ridiculous!

This used to be a lovely pub....what a shame.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

The Bell is a fantastic old building, located in the heart of E Molesey. It is screaming out to be restored to its former glory - with old beams and bare floorboards, real ale and genuine home-prepared food... Unfortunately, the menu is of the 'themed' variety - so plenty of chips and easy to freeze meals, which suited our kids fine, but would be great to have a fresh make-over.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Bell, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear Ginge1966,

Thank you for your feedback, we have passed your comments onto our management team to consider during future reviews.

Many Thanks