“I've been going to the Bell on and off for 20 years - Hoping for good things from the new manager”
Review of Bell

Bell
Ranked #34 of 49 Restaurants in East Molesey
Reviewed 5 June 2014

First off clean the kitchen windows!! Everyone going into the garden sees greasy kitchen windows which doesn't do the much improved food justice and is a bit off putting, people notice! Buy a new extractor while your at it, it's too old and too noisy and ruins what should be a lovely, peaceful beer garden, unless your a long way from it. I ate off the new menu which is much improved and the food was decent, served quickly and reasonably priced. Sat in the garden and great news no piles of cigarette butts everywhere finally cleaned up actually a nice place to be on a spring evening (apart from the noisy drone of the kitchen extractor). I'm really hoping for great things of the new management as The Bell had become a little grotty and a tired, hopefully the changes to come will turn it back into the nicest pub in Molesey which it so easily could be. It amazes me that The Spirit Pub company haven't emulated the success of the nearby Prince of Wales, the Bell ought to be an absolute gem of a pub.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Took the mrs and kids here, weather lovely so sat in garden which was quite busy. Food was nice, not bad value. I like the fact the pub inside has not been overly modernised and still has the nice fireplaces. Will definitely come again.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I moved to the area Nov 2013 and found this pub by mistake as got lost. As we passed the pub we loved the outside and said we'd definately visit. Well we have been many times since and will continue to visit regularly. The food is wonderful, the beef roast is melt in the mouth! The cod is so fresh and the pies are huge a d just perfect! The kids meals are generous and our boys love the two climbing frames and slide. The dog is welcomed with a bowl of fresh water too! The staff are friendly, the chefs are nice, Wayne the chef has asked how our food is and has such enthusiasm and pride in what he serves. I don't normally write reviews but what made me do it, is we booked a table for 8 on Mother's Day and even though the pub was packed and the staff were rushed off there feet, the food was still lush and our group of 8 want to return as enjoyed the food and the beautiful old pub. 10 / 10

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Have lived in the area for over 2 years now and can honestly say how much this place has improved lately. After being disappointed when we first moved here we decided to give it another go after advice from a friend. What an improvement! The pub is over 400 years old and very quaint. The menu is traditional pub grub but much much nicer. We have eaten here twice in the last 3 weeks and definitely intend to eat here again. I understand the chef is new and I can say he is a vast improvement on the last, there is just no comparison. Try this place and I guarantee you will not be disappointed. The only down side is its very much a locals pub but have been told by a friend that the locals are friendly when they have seen you a few times. I certainly hope so as we intend to make this our local in future.

1  Thank CarolH483
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful pub from the outside. This should be the best pub in East Molesey by a country mile. The building is centuries old and looks absolutely wonderful. But then you get inside and you are greeted by miserable staff, average beer and awful food.

I agree that you get what you pay for as pointed out by previous reviewers but that's completely down to the people running the pub who should be providing a better experience at a higher price. You'd still get what you have paid for but you'll come out far happier.

A couple of years ago I went there for New Year. We had to pay for a ticket in advance so we expected there would be a crowd. There must have been 40 people (if that) in the pub and half of them appeared to be dressed in pyjamas. Clearly a half baked attempt at a theme night about which nobody had bothered telling all the ticket holders.

At 5 to midnight the landlord came round and handed us a party popper. Midnight was passed through with everybody gathered around a small television. At half past midnight the music that had been playing through the evening was stopped. We left 10 minutes later and walked home to have a proper party. Shambles!!!

There are some truly horrible pubs in Molesey but The Bell should be a little haven in comparison. However it seems to be run by people who don't have a clue.

Such a shame!