All reviewsbushy parkhampton courthenry tudorbar area ispub foodfamous mazelion gatehistoric pubspent one night herefree parkingroad noiseold buildingbreakfast was excellentpleasant staycomfortable bedtea and coffee making facilitiesfour poster bed
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I am afraid I was disappointed with the Kings Arms. I was booked in via an agency on business and got the impression that the staff could not be bothered. On arrival I was greeted with an 'I will be with you in a minute' as the manager (/) walked away. No polite smile or friendly welcome. He booked me in and showed me to the foot of the stairs laden with bags and told me my room was at the top of the stairs through 3 fire doors - quite awkward loaded down with bags. No offer of help which would have been nice. In the evening I ordered whitebait as a starter and fish and chips from the rather standard pub menu. The manager arrived with a plate of whitebait in his left hand and fish and chips in his right, plonked both on the table with a 'your fish dinner'. Both dishes very average and lacking any element of care or presentation.
The room was spacious but the tv was without its stand sat on a table leaning against the wall. all the available sockets were behind the table under the tv so plugging in my laptop etc caused the tv to fall. The shower door had come off its runners so could not be closed (seemed like permanent damage as it would not 'go back').
All in all the place, as someone else has already said, was 'more shabby than chic', a phrase I will have to remember. I got the distinct impression that neither the owners nor the staff could really be bothered.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We regularly stay at Lionsgate Mews on the other side of the gate and always enjoy lunch, dinner and drinks at the Kings Arms. It has so much history, a warming fire in the winter and a cold pint in the summer. The food is good and we have enjoyed a family meal here, we will keep coming back.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Hall W, Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased we delivered great hospitality and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

My friend and I stayed over night after attending races and a concert at Sandown Park.
We stayed in a twin bedded room overlooking the front of the property.
The room and furniture were in keeping with the name of the hotel.
Coffee/biscuits provided.
Beds soft and creeky but very comfortable.
The bathroom was lovely with really large towels.
Breakfast in the morning was very good.
The staff too were very attentive.
All in all our stay was very good

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liz G
Hall W, Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed here to visit Hampton Court and the location could not have been better.

We had parked in Bushy Park to visit the castle and walked round the back of the maze to find the hotel. The staff were really helpful in directing us in the best place to park and we managed to park right outside the hotel which was great.

The staff were really helpful about where to go for dinner etc and very welcoming. The downstairs of the inn is lovely and old (love the big wooden tables!) and they took us to our room which is a really nice touch. (I work in a place like this and know how you can be pushed for time to do this).

Plenty of tea etc in the room and we loved the four poster bed.

However, the room was a bit shabby (a random heart drawn on the wall, stains on the internal doors, the rim of the bathroom wall brown and coming away from the wall, mould in the shower and empty shampoo bottles) but plenty of clean towels and sheets.

The room was quite noisy in the day being road facing so may not be good for light sleepers but quieter at night. Was also very warm but a fan had been left in the room which was a nice touch also.

Breakfast was fast and was impressed with the vegetarian deluxe - not often you see this as an option and was nice and different.

All in all, if you're looking for a value and friendly hotel in a great location for Hampton Court then I would recommend.

Stayed: July 2017
Hall W, Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

We really appreciate your feedback; thank you for taking the trouble to post your review. We have taken your comments on board and do hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 17 July 2017

A very disappointing stay in general. Based on photos this place looks lovely, "Olde Worlde" and very comfortable. There are some very good points: The location for Hampton Court is ideal, staff are very helpful and pleasant, the breakfast was perfectly adequate, the towels in the bathroom were clean, huge and changed every day, the bed was comfortable and the bedding clean and fresh. But that's about it. The building is very shabby and needs a really deep clean. The furniture in our room (which was very small) was very old and shabby - certainly not chic. The top of the dressing table was stained and dirty. Just giving it a rub with a wet wipe removed a lot of dirt! The tea tray/box were filthy - covered in dust. On the day we arrived it was very hot and the windows in the bedroom and bathroom were wide open. They are old sash windows with single glazing added. In the bathroom we could close the single glazing panel but not the sash window. In the bedroom the sash window closed but the single glazing was wedged open with pieces of cardboard! The paint on the exterior window ledge is dirty and peeling. And the ROAD NOISE! It really is horrendous!! We asked if there were any other rooms away from the road but all rooms are at the front of the building. The first night we hardly slept at all as we had to leave the bedroom window open, it was so hot. The noise and the heat was dreadful. In the bathroom there is a blind that pulls down over the window and is a 'backdrop' for the sink. It is splattered with soap, toothpaste marks etc and can't have been cleaned for months! And the extractor fan - I doubt that's been cleaned since it was installed! It was thick with dust. Stains on the bedroom carpet - I could go on and on. This has the potential to be such a fabulous place but it is in DIRE NEED of a refurb. I feel mean leaving a review like this as the customer service was great. I can only assume that the staff no longer see what is wrong with the place! Such a shame!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple