“Good apart from the price”
Review of Cafe Rouge - Epsom

Cafe Rouge - Epsom
Ranked #27 of 187 Restaurants in Epsom
Price range: US$74 - US$74
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cafe Rouge Epsom has been designed with beauty as the focus, as you enter the bistro to the left hand side there is an impressive illuminated vintage perfume bottle display. Next to the bar we offer a very intimate space in the window with a stunning decorative pendant above; and for those really special moments our restaurant features two 'love benches' to share a meal with that someone special. Join us now and experience the best bistro in town.
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Had a steak and chips, sundae and a coke. Nice apart from it cost £25. You can get more for your money somewhere else so that's why I only gave 4.

2  Thank theawesomereviewer

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Although it was a nice day we decided to eat inside. The interior is quite small and has an authentic French character, but the tables are probably a bit close together for some people's liking. I was pleased to note that the orange juice was fresh and not out of a carton as it is in most restuarants I visit.

I would DEFINITELY not recommend eating here if you are vegetarian. There are only two main courses which are suitable. I plumped for the tarte provencale, after being reassured that I could have it without olives in. Ten minutes later the waiter told me that the olives were already in it (i.e. it was microwave food). I wasn't impressed by this as it was priced at £10.95. On the plus side, my friends had steak and chicken which both went down well.

The desserts menu was very adequate, even if the desserts themselves were rather on the small side.

Regards pricing, I would definitely not say this represents good value for money. The service wasn't great either. In conclusion, I will not be returning to Caffe Rouge again.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was the first time I've set foot in a Café Rouge for ages - the last time being several years ago in the Wimbledon Village branch. Although this restaurant isn't quite as spectacular as Sutton's fine dining French 'Brasserie Vacherin', it isn't necessarily that far off. My chicken was succulent and generally delicious, as was my scrumptious tarte tatin. The setting here is really wonderful - it feels SO French, it's amazing. Unfortunately however, the service was only satisfactory as the waitress did seem slightly sour and was also somewhat difficult to understand on occasions. But despite that, all in all, I'd definitely recommend this brilliant French restaurant in the heart of Epsom.

1  Thank LifeonMars97
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I are regular visitors to Cafe Rouge in Epsom. We love the atmosphere and the staff are super. I want to mention their steaks in particular. They are always excellent, they have tremendous flavour and are usually cooked just as requested. We were there yesterday and had the flat iron steak for a light lunch - they were gorgeous!

Well worth a visit!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Third visit now - all with my girlfriend - attitude of staff was indifferent at best for both previous visits - felt guilty for disturbing them. After work today (Friday, dress down day if it matters), waited too long for orders to be taken; the couple who came after us at the next table (older and in more conservative dress if it matters) had orders taken first. Meal was fine. After dessert, whilst we were still drinking a glass of wine each from our original single bottle, without it being requested and without asking if we wanted coffee (we had twenty minutes or so of wine drinking left still, it was only after nine or so and the restaurant was far from full), the bill was placed on our table. No opportunity of coffee given and twenty minutes or so of uncomfortably being aware of staff waiting to take our money (£80). Very poor form. When we did pay, we made the waiter aware of this, his response was to ask if he delivered the bill, I pointed to his colleague. His response was only that it must have been a mistake - no apology or offer of coffee, Again, very poor form.